What's up with Vans?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tiger02, Apr 23, 2006.

1. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

Vans all the way for the casual sneaker, Chuck's look like clown shoes to me.
    Man, I've been wearing Van's since '82, you'd think I should get a free pair by now.

2. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Semaj
    Thanks for the closeups, they're definitely nicer in those shots. Still not for me [​IMG] Don't get me wrong, I liked your look a lot.

All, good stuff, thanks.

Tom

3. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Vans are cool.

I know this because I wanted to buy a pair and my Gifted
    Child would not allow me to, because they are too cool for Dad.

4. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

I'm with you OP: I hate the look of vans/chucks style shoes: for me, it's boots all the way, every day. I just think that wearing what are essentially canvas slippers is kinda silly.
    To each his own.

5. semaj

semaj Member

Semaj
    Thanks for the closeups, they're definitely nicer in those shots. Still not for me [​IMG] Don't get me wrong, I liked your look a lot.

All, good stuff, thanks.

Tom

No harm done. Fashion after all is subjective as we all have different styles and tastes. [​IMG]

6. lupin23rd

lupin23rd Well-Known Member

Thought i'd resurrect this thread, just ordered some white authentic lace-ups (the kind we had back in my day), and was horrified to find that the white was not actually a true white but looks like a beige.

Guess I will probably have to send these back for what is described as a "true-white" on the site, although I see that's only for slip-ons.

When I came to SF people were always talking about the slip-ons. Were they a classic from the beginning? I had never heard of them till I came here and I haven't been here for a couple years yet.

m

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Not sure what the particular draw is to me but I love pure white vans. IMO best shoes in existence.

8. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

half cabs have always been some of my favorite shoes... probably from growing up skatebaording in the 90s when they were huge. great clean design. it kinda makes me think that it is vans take on the dunk from the late 80s.

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

It's a cali thing like chucks (the two are practically cousins), originated in oc from the skate/surf scene when I was growing up. It has become popularized b/c of its subculture following to the mainstreaming with styles copied by likes of designers of gucci etc. I have 5 pairs of slip-ons and they are obscenely comfortable

true whites
    black suedes (go with everything)
    navy suedes
    gray suedes
    two-tone ivory/beige suede loomstate editions

10. jean_connoisseur23

jean_connoisseur23 Senior member

i really dont know...since i've been seeing people wearing sk8hi's or checkered slipons-i've been buying them..they've gotten better and better over the years though

11. kapay

kapay Well-Known Member

Castro Valley, Oakland, San Francisco California
    Vans have always been popular but a large influx (at least in the Bay Area) of popularity spurs from the Hyphy movement in the bay. There's even a song about throwing out your Nikes and buying Vans instead. So basically. It's the anti-Nike. Easy to wear, buy, is cheap, and if you scuff them you can buy new ones.

12. keal

keal Senior member

Not sure what the particular draw is to me but I love pure white vans. IMO best shoes in existence.

I owned about 3 pairs of white Vans in the early 80's. I wore them with everything! I think there was an open-mesh type? I know I had a few of them but they might not have been actual Vans. But I think they were.

Need to add Vans to my shopping list [​IMG]

13. stach

stach Senior member

An anti fashion victim shoe. [​IMG]

14. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

An anti fashion victim shoe. [​IMG]
    Actually, they look like Vans (R). That's not very generic. The rest is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

15. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I wear the Vans Old Skool in black. Goes with everything, clean looks, comfortable as hell. I wouldn't trade these for any old styles of Nike.