• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's up with Vans?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
OK, so I get high-end denim and cool t's and hoodies. I get some sneakers like Onitsuka Tigers and Sambas and Chucks and even the crazy-colored Nikes (kinda). But I can't figure out why Vans are so loved. Is it the fit? The selection? The gold woven into the canvas? I didn't even like Vans back in the '80s. So, what's up with Vans?

Tom

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily Vans, but I like the completely open plain of the slip-on upper, upon which artistic magic can be wrought.

And I like checkers.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
OK, so I get high-end denim and cool t's and hoodies. I get some sneakers like Onitsuka Tigers and Sambas and Chucks and even the crazy-colored Nikes (kinda). But I can't figure out why Vans are so loved. Is it the fit? The selection? The gold woven into the canvas? I didn't even like Vans back in the '80s. So, what's up with Vans?

I think it's related to that crack you made in that other thread about East Coast/West Coast. It's a West Coast thing, baby.
smile.gif

Which Vans mystify you? I like the slipons and some colorways and collabos of the Sk8-Hi, but there are also plenty I'm not particularly fond of. That's true for just about every sneaker manufacturer, though.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I've been curious for a while, but the post that spurred the question was semaj's last on 'what are you wearing.' Dark shirt and jeans, rock star shades...and plain white vans. Seemed incongruous in addition to my usual Vans bafflement.

It might just be my taste, I don't really like loafers for dress shoes either.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
What other shoe can you get for $40.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chucks can be had for ~$35. Vans always seem a little more slackerish to me. Good or bad. The checked slip ons are pretty cool.

semaj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
I've been curious for a while, but the post that spurred the question was semaj's last on 'what are you wearing.' Dark shirt and jeans, rock star shades...and plain white vans. Seemed incongruous in addition to my usual Vans bafflement.

It might just be my taste, I don't really like loafers for dress shoes either.

In case you wanted to see how they really look like (you can't really see from the blurry YDYWT picture), here they are:

494987314_MARC4.jpg

1132909840_MARC5.jpg

I like them because they are comfortable--you can just slip them on whenever and not have to worry about laces or any of that junk.

Note that I do have shoes with laces though.
smile.gif

Metal Circus

Reaction score
They're nice, clean-looking shoes. I like the silhouette a lot too.

Handlethevibe

Reaction score
Chucks look like clown shoes, onistuka tigers just remind me of metrosexual true religion muscle shirt wearing dudes, and vans are just badass.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vans have a weird ***** look about them, the last thing you need with size 11.5s.

tangerine

Reaction score
I love the look of Sk8-His and Old Skools, that stripe invokes nostalgia and good feelings about California, skating, and certain past girlfriends...

I'm less enthusiastic about the slip-ons, but they are my airport shoe of choice and have many of the same nostalgic connections. They also have many killer colorways, collabs and prints. semaj, those are nice ones!

The simplicity of Vans is nice, too, IMO. They are kind of the opposite of some Nikes and New Balances, which are so engineered-looking they make me feel like my feet would turn into robot overlords.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of current streetwear/casual designer clothing is subculture-related, as well, and Vans has a history as the first real skate shoe. Also seems the current trend is (in general, here, there are exceptions) away from chunkier kicks (e.g., dunks) toward more streamlined (e.g., the basic vans slipon). Personally, I love the Old Skool, half cab, and sk8 hi, too, though I can see how they wouldn't appeal to everyone (half cab and sk8 hi are pretty awkward looking shoes). I can't really pull off the slip on. Despite what Edward Appleby says, I think they're too low-profile, rather than fat, and look best with skinny jeans. (I think the folks who wear larger-sized clothes and then a dainty slip on look a little out of proportion, honestly). About a decade ago (or more?) Vans moved away from their basic gum rubber outsole shoes to more skate-technical shoes, which I'd guess are on 20% of middle school kids in America. I don't think you'll see a lot of these in the styleforum what are you wearing thread. Plus, with Marc Jacobs designing some Vans and the company licensing limited edition stuff (Vault, syndicate, etc.) their exclusivity makes them appealing to sneaker fiends. Kind of off-topic, does anyone have a pic of the original Salman Agah model?

Metal Circus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
A lot of current streetwear/casual designer clothing is subculture-related, as well, and Vans has a history as the first real skate shoe. Also seems the current trend is (in general, here, there are exceptions) away from chunkier kicks (e.g., dunks) toward more streamlined (e.g., the basic vans slipon).
Despite what Edward Appleby says, I think they're too low-profile, rather than fat, and look best with skinny jeans. (I think the folks who wear larger-sized clothes and then a dainty slip on look a little out of proportion, honestly).

exactly

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handlethevibe
onistuka tigers just remind me of metrosexual true religion muscle shirt wearing dudes
You will burn for that.
laugh.gif
devil.gif
as for vans, the clean lines of the slip-on, SK8 and chukka, combined with the funkier designs this past year, just make me drool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads