• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats up with everyone wearing Purple?

Crazy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I found my purple henley a few weeks ago (wonders what cleaning your hideously messy room will do) and busted it out on a warm day. Wish it was warmer so i could wear it more. Nice color and perfect fit. I don't know how much purple i could do, but one item has worked out for the me the past year and a half.

Anyone got the scoop on the next "in" color?

I read something in Time magazine's style and design seasonal (long since thrown out) but I did read something about the purple and the color forcasting. It's some apparently some elite group that you pay a lot to get into and they just feed you a colour every season. The new one was a warm, sunny yellow. Michael Kors used it a lot in his Spring 2009 collection and Ralph Lauren is currently using it quite frequently in many of his lines. I think you'll be able to find it.

I really like it, I've seen it paired with a plaid shirt and I think it goes quite nicely.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i've always liked it. from full colored sweaters and polos, to tiny thoughtful specs of purple in a pair of classic grey glen plaid pants you might find in something by Etro. i think i've also seen someone switchout the brown laces on their Desert Boots with purple laces and thought it was neat.

i think certain shades, specifically the one i'm posting here, have a richness and sophistication that is timeless. it has a bit of whimsicalness, but its not loud and in your face like pink can be.

. . . and for the record, i saved this pic from the sartorialist last fall -

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
All of the major brands (Those with the largest retail presence) all purchase Fashion Forecasting color information from three to four different companies.

2. These Fashion Forecasting services all meet in Paris as a group and set a general consensus for color 2 years down the road.

3. Each fashion forecasting service presents these colors in their own way and sells to their customers.

Result: No coincidence that Gap, H&M, J Crew, Zara, Mango, etc all happen to present the same colors during a season.

The only other explanation to a retail push on a particular color is if a designer (Armani, Dior, Lanvin, YSL) uses a particular palette in a show that receives gushing reviews. Magazines and fashion reporting services will all influence fashion companies especially when they are all lauding the same designer.

Finally there are smaller brands that tend to go off in their own direction but some how still retain a common link to mass-market brands with color. Most designers still assign a certain level of common sense when selecting color for the season (Nom De Guerre with their monochromatic palette and Henrik Vibskov in color laden La La Land) not included. Buyers think in very simplistic terms and to be good in business this has to be accounted for. A designer won't push a palette of Black, Navy, Rust, Purple, Burgundy and Forest Green for spring, as they wouldn't select a pastille palette for fall. Purple is a common color as part of a fall palette and next year it will be the turn of Rust or Brown and so forth.

That was quite an informative read. Didn't know such a thing as forecasting services existed but had always wondered in the back of my mind if people somehow got together to decide what was to be "in" since like you said the major designers release the same "in" colors at the same time.

That being said, if one wears 2008's "in" color in 2009, is that considered a faux-pas? Or are we to disregard what the fashion industry dictates, lest we would have to buy a new wardrobe every year to be fashionable. And in that vein, to what extent should the fashion industry's hot trends of the year have on us?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purple is the new black, The new black used to be baby blue >> pink >> orange >> green >> ?? >> Purple. Sounds familiar? That are almost all the colors of the rainbow. When it is full....? It is not for nothing the call it 'the new black', or is it? Think about it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads