• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the worst that can happen if I buy a Hawes & Curtis shirt?

Von Kaiser

Reaction score
I noticed H&C shirts sell for 38 USD. I've read very general criticisms of H&C - e.g., they're "crap," they "suck," etc. I was hoping someone could provide me with specifics before I decide whether to buy a shirt.

literasyme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Von Kaiser
I noticed H&C shirts sell for 38 USD. I've read very general criticisms of H&C - e.g., they're "crap," they "suck," etc. I was hoping someone could provide me with specifics before I decide whether to buy a shirt.

In my experience, their fabrics are subpar, but most annoyingly the collar and cuffs are extremely stiff and don't soften up at all over time. They feel cheap.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd agree about the collars - pretty nasty stuff. So the worst thing that can happen is you donate it to a thrift after two wears like I did.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Sure, they aren't T&A, but really, they're fine. I have one, bought at an airport, that I now press into service as a casual shirt, perhaps I would wear something else if I wanted to impress someone.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My biggest gripe is the stiff collars and cuffs. And mine were double button ones, so they're HUGE (long). I find them rather uncomfortable in fact.

Spend a few more $ and upgrade to any one of the other many Jermyn St. shirtmakers.

1337some0ne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
Sure, they aren't T&A, but really, they're fine. I have one, bought at an airport, that I now press into service as a casual shirt, perhaps I would wear something else if I wanted to impress someone.

Agreed, they aren't the best shirts in the world but they're not the worst. I have a couple of Hawes & Curtis shirts and for the price (sometimes down to £18 in the UK) I doubt it's possible find much better. The majority of their styles aren't very conservative but work well as casual shirts. I think a lot of the people around here automatically degrade some of the cheaper brands with little experience of them and without an understanding of the area in the market they occupy.

If I had an unlimited amount of money to spend on my clothes Hawes and Curtis probably wouldn't feature in my wardrobe but in the real world I can't spend ludicrous amounts of money on my shirts. I think that most people need to strike a balance between quality and affordability and for me, Hawes and Curtis ranks quite high - they're cheap and not too bad in terms of quality. They also seem to fit me quite well.

I noticed that the collars and cuffs can be a bit stiff but they softened up after a few washes.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why go through the hassle of ordering internationally for something cheap? I'm pretty sure we have plenty of cheap shirts in American stores already.

Von Kaiser

Reaction score
Don't some people like stiff collars? Maybe they make them like that on purpose.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At 38USD it would be hard to beat them.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually think that when they have their (eternal) sales, they're reasonably good value. I had a few from years back and they held up quite well. Collars may be stiff but they have a good shape, and the collar stays that come with the shirts are pretty good and I use them in my other shirts preferentially.

hst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
Why go through the hassle of ordering internationally for something cheap? I'm pretty sure we have plenty of cheap shirts in American stores already.

+1. I have had H&C shirts, and will say that it is not a brand that you really want to ship across the Altantic.
smile.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 of their shirts and don't mind stiff collars and cuffs.
Probably wouldn't buy more of them but they were worth the money.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hst
+1. I have had H&C shirts, and will say that it is not a brand that you really want to ship across the Altantic.
smile.gif

Shirts are pretty mediocre in Canada. Anything is an improvement, and even with shipping you still come out ahead.

pred02

Reaction score
I recently migrated from North America to the UK and I have to say that the selection of inexpensive, creative, and slim-fit shirts in the US is pretty dismal. First problem is that most American shirts are a bit conservative, you either find white or light blue shirts for the most part. Secondly, the selection of slim fit shirts (for young professionals) is also very poor, I know BB has an offering, but their shirts aren't so slim and their colors are very conservative. Thirdly, at a $35 price point it is hard to find any decent shirt, I mean you can spend hours going through Filenes Basement however you are likely not to find your size, your color, or your fit.

Even when I was working in the US I would regularly order TM Lewin shirts which got a lot of compliments in the office. I still wear most of those shirts, they have held up really well after 2 years of use and constant wear and tear including tons of business travel.

As far as H&C, I have two of their shirts, and they are fine. The stiff color does not affect me as I do not wear a tie, I have dry cleaners do most of my shirts, their slim fit is better than BB and about the same as TM Lewin. For everyday workhorse shirts I think they are ok. Alternatives are TM Lewin (which are also fine) and CT (with whom I have no experience with). H&C does have a nice selection of patterns and colors which they update frequently, and also their offers are sometimes better if you are not looking to buy in bulk (i.e. 4 shirts for £90 TM Lewin).

More upscale include Harvie and Hudson (which I also have no experience with), their website was not so good for ordering and did not have slim fits listed there. However at that price point $50 USD/shirt, I just go to Jantzen with MOP buttons, etc.

Good luck!

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
Well, you could possibly catch AIDS.

Its unlikely, but it is one of the worst things that can happen if you buy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads