Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What's the word on sutor mant. shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Jul 30, 2004.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Saw a pair of sutors listed for sale, said to retail at 1080-- is this accurate? How's the make and fit (If I normally wear 10, will USsize 10 fit?), how do they stack up to other high-end shoes?

I seem to remember sutor shoes paired with Kiton a while back, in Robb Report ads for italian hand-made goods.

Thanks.

2. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

honest story, i emailed that seller to ask if the price tags were attached reflecting $1,080 and he said no, but that's what they cost. i emailed back that i've worn mantellassis for 8 years and they are almost always no higher than 795, with the occasional 900+ pair, but never seen any over $1,000 especially for those pairs. i saw an identical pair of those loafers at BG for 695 i believe. he insisted that's what they cost, but i don't believe it. $299 is still a good price, as my fave shoe is mantellassi BY FAR, but the 1080 is not right

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Plus, Sutor has a lower quality Blake-stitched line. These shoes could possibly be from that line, but I cannot tell for sure without closeup pics of the sole.\\

4. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

i was waiting for AHarris to back me up. great shoes, good price, retail listing, 100% wrong. it's good to be educated and call people on obvious lies about retail price

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

In that vein, Andrew, how DOES on tell what Sutor line a shoe if from. I think I've bitten the bullet and am going to order the C & J handgrades from Engligh Shoes, but some of the Sutors on Yoox are the exact color I'm looking for. I'd like to know what I'm getting from Yoox though.

6. A Harris

Hard to do without seeing them in person - the Blake shoes of course have the Blake stitch that can be detected by looking inside the shoe. Also, the Blake shoes usually have a much simpler looking sole - very clean looking, vs. the slugging etc you usually see on the handmades. That's not conclusive though, as I do have a pair of handmades with the simple sole...

And as Lance says, retail tops out at about $800.

7. A Harris

About sizing - if your foot is narrow to medium width, then the marked size will probably work for you. If it's wide at all you are going to want to go up 1/2-1 size. I take what Mantellassi calls a 13.5 (46 1/2 Euro) for instance. They run small.