• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the story on European mattresses?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I was trying to say is that IKEA is not worth the money. The cheap mattresses are terrible and for the price of the "high end" range (300-400€ or so for a 90x200) you can get far better Dunlopillo (for example) mattressees (at least on discount). Have you tried to e-mail them reagarding retailers?

Last edited:

GonD

Reaction score

Serious?
Ikea? (

Well, they go through an intense durability testing, have long warranties and you can return the mattress after 90 days of use if it isn't to your liking. I've also found their quality/price -ratio far higher than Hästens and such. I don't have experience on Dunlopillos though.

paradoxical3

Reaction score
They are latex mattresses, and I have NO idea why they haven't caught on in America. Mine was the best purchase I've ever made.

I got mine from http://www.sleepez.com/ and they had fantastic customer service (redirected my order mid-shipment when my condo wasn't ready to move into), but there are several other reputable dealers out there.

I don't recommend anything below 8in thick at the bare minimum. If you are 175lbs+, you need 10 inches at least. If you aren't sure what you want, just give them a call and they will help you figure it out.

Real natural latex is just on a totally different level than any box spring or memory foam mattress, in my opinion.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What I was trying to say is that IKEA is not worth the money. The cheap mattresses are terrible and for the price of the "high end" range (300-400€ or so for a 90x200) you can get far better Dunlopillo (for example) mattressees (at least on discount). Have you tried to e-mail them reagarding retailers?

For some reason I did not think about that, :facepalm: I'll send them an email and update you guys.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are latex mattresses, and I have NO idea why they haven't caught on in America. Mine was the best purchase I've ever made.

I got mine from http://www.sleepez.com/ and they had fantastic customer service (redirected my order mid-shipment when my condo wasn't ready to move into), but there are several other reputable dealers out there.

I don't recommend anything below 8in thick at the bare minimum. If you are 175lbs+, you need 10 inches at least. If you aren't sure what you want, just give them a call and they will help you figure it out.

Real natural latex is just on a totally different level than any box spring or memory foam mattress, in my opinion.
Thanks, I will check them out.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
following this thread

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After honeymooning in France and Italy ten + years ago, my wife, who has chronic back and neck problems, had the same opinion you do about European beds. We lived in the bay area at the time, and bought a set up from this European Sleepworks in Berkeley: http://www.sleepworks.com/mattresses

Still have it and will replace it with another from ESW when the time comes. It's awesome.

Shelly73

Reaction score
I had the same experience. They used slat beds in all the hotels I was in. It's the slats and then the no-spring mattress that does it all. perfect for the back. IKEA is cheap- but if you buy the higher end more expensive mattress I think you'll be ok. It's the only place that I've been able to find them in the US. I lived in Europe for awhile and thought about trying to send one home, but it was too pricey for me.

Sammyjani

Reaction score
Hi David did u find the European firm bed ,i am really interested plz let me know thanks

Last edited:

OliverGauffe

Reaction score
First, I love how "European" is somehow automatically all in the same category, despite including so many different countries, all with their own mattress manufacturers. Also, Americans are totally obsessed with comfort, and they tend to have overly soft mattresses which are bad for the back (and chairs and sofas and carpet everywhere and even cusioned toilet seats, etc). You can find firm, non-coil non-spring mattresses in the US. My experience in Europe is that there is a wide range of quality, sometimes the slats underneath can be felt if the mattress is too thin, sometimes they can break..Also, they CAN have a box spring. I live in Europe and I have a box spring for god's sake. It's not JUST because a mattress is from Europe that it is automatically better or a single layer mattress. Just sayin'.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First, I love how "European" is somehow automatically all in the same category, despite including so many different countries, all with their own mattress manufacturers. Also, Americans are totally obsessed with comfort, and they tend to have overly soft mattresses which are bad for the back (and chairs and sofas and carpet everywhere and even cusioned toilet seats, etc). You can find firm, non-coil non-spring mattresses in the US. My experience in Europe is that there is a wide range of quality, sometimes the slats underneath can be felt if the mattress is too thin, sometimes they can break..Also, they CAN have a box spring. I live in Europe and I have a box spring for god's sake.  It's not JUST because a mattress is from Europe that it is automatically better or a single layer mattress. Just sayin'.
You seem mad. Are you not sleeping well at night? Maybe you should get a European bed.

travelwithtink

Reaction score
I noticed that the mattresses I slept on while in Europe were fantastic. Firm, yet soft. I could roll over easily without having to pick myself up out of a hole. Would love to find a brand in US that is comparable.

Advntrgrl

Reaction score
Following...I had the same experience. My hubby and I experience lower back pain, and had absolutely the best sleep of our lives in Italy...we stayed in 3 different places, with the same experience in all of them. No back pain. Came home...first night, back pain back. UGH!

BobStrauss

Reaction score
I suffered a thoracic nerve injury in a skydiving incident (T8-T9 vertebrae) and I was wheelchair bound until last May, when you guessed it: I took a European vacation. The mattresses in Florence and Rome were unbelievable, and I gained full sensation and control of my lower body after just three full nights of restful sleep. I could stand, go on walking tours, even do deadlifts at the hotel gym, but after returning home it was back to the same ol same ol.

Are there any updates on where one can find a European mattress in the USA?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics