• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the story on European mattresses?

Mbogo

Reaction score
Just got back from a couple weeks in Italy. Stayed in 3 different places, and all of them had fantastic mattresses. My back (which gives me a little trouble from time to time) felt the best it has in a couple years. I've experienced this in Europe before.

It seems these mattresses are only a single thickness, without a separate box spring, and they tend to be pretty firm. We're getting a bit sick of our memory foam bed, haven't had really good luck with traditional mattress/box spring sets, and would love to find one of these European mattresses here in the US.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

David

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were at a reasonably decent hotel consider contacting their desk or concierge and simply explain how great their mattresses were and would love to get one. Usually a decent place cares enough about their guests to help out, and if you get a particularly proud employee they will be over the moo that you appreciated the details.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
theres no difference between "european" mattress and us mattresses except size. you can find similar composition and build of mattresses there as you do here. its the mattress that makes a difference - not its platform be it a box spring or directly on a slatted bed (or floor).... unless the mattress is thin

at the high end of mattresses you'll find coiled-spring just as you'll find all-latex. one is not necessarily better than the other (or more expensive). it comes down to the individual mattress and personal preferences. latex does not breathe as well. probably the high-craftsmanship top range mattress are still individually pocketed coil spring (w/ latex layers)

Last edited:

Mbogo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I got the impression that a European mattress sort of combines the construction of a typical American mattress and box spring into one single mattress. I know none of the beds we slept on in Italy had separate box springs. But they did all have the same very firm but comfortable feel. I'm pretty sure they were all traditional construction, not foam.

I also believed that a traditional American mattress sans box spring is not the same as a European mattress; that an American mattress is designed to be used with a box spring, and isn't quite right without one.

I'll look at some of the manufacturers mentioned (especially the Pirelli site!), but if we end up getting one, will obviously need to find a dealer in the states.

Since the places we stayed in were all either private residences or small inns, I'm sure the owners could be helpful in identifying the brands. Then there's the matter of finding it in the US, though.

David

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

at the high end of mattresses you'll find coiled-spring just as you'll find all-latex. one is not necessarily better than the other (or more expensive). it comes down to the individual mattress and personal preferences. latex does not breathe as well. probably the high-craftsmanship top range mattress are still individually pocketed coil spring (w/ latex layers)

Even cheaper mattresses are like that, you can get a compartment coil spring mattress for 400$, so they don't have to be Dunlopillo, Hästen, Auping, Tempur etc. to get that.

mishrenea

Reaction score
hi David, we were just in Italy too and I have the same back issues and REALLY want a mattress like we had there, exactly what you are describing...did you find one? are you happy? what do you recommend?

thank you!
Tia

jjee

Reaction score
Hi there...I too just returned from Europe and I too had the exact same experience-my back pain disappeared. I took a photo of the mattress tag and it was a perilli latex mattress.

Can anyone tell me if there are any dealers in Canada, Vancouver or anywhere, where I can get one??? I have been back two days and I my back pain has returned!!!

In desperate need of a perilli!!!!!!!

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any recommendations on where I can find one of these beds in the states, preferably Texas (Houston).

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get mid-end Dunlopillo mattresses for the price of the "higher end" IKEA mattresses. And guess which are better.

GonD

Reaction score
You're probably right, but can you buy/try those in the U.S.?

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IKEA is worth checking out.

Serious?

You can get mid-end Dunlopillo mattresses for the price of the "higher end" IKEA mattresses. And guess which are better.

Ikea?

I thought Ikea = cheap and poor quality

I am not trying to sound like a pretentious douche bag. I need a mattress. :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads