1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's the story on European mattresses?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Mbogo, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Mbogo

Mbogo Senior member

Just got back from a couple weeks in Italy. Stayed in 3 different places, and all of them had fantastic mattresses. My back (which gives me a little trouble from time to time) felt the best it has in a couple years. I've experienced this in Europe before.

It seems these mattresses are only a single thickness, without a separate box spring, and they tend to be pretty firm. We're getting a bit sick of our memory foam bed, haven't had really good luck with traditional mattress/box spring sets, and would love to find one of these European mattresses here in the US.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

David

2. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

3. coldarchon

coldarchon Senior member

that's the point.

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

If you were at a reasonably decent hotel consider contacting their desk or concierge and simply explain how great their mattresses were and would love to get one. Usually a decent place cares enough about their guests to help out, and if you get a particularly proud employee they will be over the moo that you appreciated the details.

5. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

theres no difference between "european" mattress and us mattresses except size. you can find similar composition and build of mattresses there as you do here. its the mattress that makes a difference - not its platform be it a box spring or directly on a slatted bed (or floor).... unless the mattress is thin

at the high end of mattresses you'll find coiled-spring just as you'll find all-latex. one is not necessarily better than the other (or more expensive). it comes down to the individual mattress and personal preferences. latex does not breathe as well. probably the high-craftsmanship top range mattress are still individually pocketed coil spring (w/ latex layers)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

7. Mbogo

Mbogo Senior member

Thanks for the replies.

I got the impression that a European mattress sort of combines the construction of a typical American mattress and box spring into one single mattress. I know none of the beds we slept on in Italy had separate box springs. But they did all have the same very firm but comfortable feel. I'm pretty sure they were all traditional construction, not foam.

I also believed that a traditional American mattress sans box spring is not the same as a European mattress; that an American mattress is designed to be used with a box spring, and isn't quite right without one.

I'll look at some of the manufacturers mentioned (especially the Pirelli site!), but if we end up getting one, will obviously need to find a dealer in the states.

Since the places we stayed in were all either private residences or small inns, I'm sure the owners could be helpful in identifying the brands. Then there's the matter of finding it in the US, though.

David

1 person likes this.
  8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Even cheaper mattresses are like that, you can get a compartment coil spring mattress for 400$, so they don't have to be Dunlopillo, Hästen, Auping, Tempur etc. to get that.

9. mishrenea

mishrenea New Member

hi David, we were just in Italy too and I have the same back issues and REALLY want a mattress like we had there, exactly what you are describing...did you find one? are you happy? what do you recommend?

thank you!
    Tia

1 person likes this.
  10. jjee

jjee New Member

Hi there...I too just returned from Europe and I too had the exact same experience-my back pain disappeared. I took a photo of the mattress tag and it was a perilli latex mattress.

Can anyone tell me if there are any dealers in Canada, Vancouver or anywhere, where I can get one??? I have been back two days and I my back pain has returned!!!

In desperate need of a perilli!!!!!!!

11. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

any recommendations on where I can find one of these beds in the states, preferably Texas (Houston).

12. GonD

GonD Well-Known Member

IKEA is worth checking out.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

You can get mid-end Dunlopillo mattresses for the price of the "higher end" IKEA mattresses. And guess which are better.

14. GonD

GonD Well-Known Member

You're probably right, but can you buy/try those in the U.S.?

15. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Serious?

Ikea?

I thought Ikea = cheap and poor quality

I am not trying to sound like a pretentious douche bag. I need a mattress. :(

16. b1os

b1os Senior member

What I was trying to say is that IKEA is not worth the money. The cheap mattresses are terrible and for the price of the "high end" range (300-400€ or so for a 90x200) you can get far better Dunlopillo (for example) mattressees (at least on discount). Have you tried to e-mail them reagarding retailers?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  17. GonD

GonD Well-Known Member

Well, they go through an intense durability testing, have long warranties and you can return the mattress after 90 days of use if it isn't to your liking. I've also found their quality/price -ratio far higher than Hästens and such. I don't have experience on Dunlopillos though.

18. paradoxical3

paradoxical3 Well-Known Member

They are latex mattresses, and I have NO idea why they haven't caught on in America. Mine was the best purchase I've ever made.

I got mine from http://www.sleepez.com/ and they had fantastic customer service (redirected my order mid-shipment when my condo wasn't ready to move into), but there are several other reputable dealers out there.

I don't recommend anything below 8in thick at the bare minimum. If you are 175lbs+, you need 10 inches at least. If you aren't sure what you want, just give them a call and they will help you figure it out.

Real natural latex is just on a totally different level than any box spring or memory foam mattress, in my opinion.

19. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

For some reason I did not think about that, :facepalm: I'll send them an email and update you guys.

20. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Thanks, I will check them out.