1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's the stereotype of a New Jersey Girl?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Soph, Aug 23, 2007.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I dare say that a common misconception is that New Yorkers are somehow above Jerseyites. From my point of view, the whole lot can be thought of as quite uncouth, especially when compared to the residents of other US and Western European metropolitan areas. Even in the upper echelons of the NY business world there is a smarminess that one does not encounter elsewhere. The guido and guidette are just the complete distillation, the everclear if you will, of the rest of the New York metropolitan area.

Umm...LOL. No.

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I dare say that a common misconception is that New Yorkers are somehow above Jerseyites. From my point of view, the whole lot can be thought of as quite uncouth, especially when compared to the residents of other US and Western European metropolitan areas. Even in the upper echelons of the NY business world there is a smarminess that one does not encounter elsewhere. The guido and guidette are just the complete distillation, the everclear if you will, of the rest of the New York metropolitan area.

And yet somehow, the people from the tri-state area seem to be the most affluent and most educated people in America. Weird how a bunch of uncouth, smarmy, bottomfeeders can attain such achievements.

3. Trent Aldonado

Trent Aldonado Active Member

And yet somehow, the people from the tri-state area seem to be the most affluent and most educated people in America. Weird how a bunch of uncouth, smarmy, bottomfeeders can attain such achievements.
    Not really too weird. The love of money attracts all of those qualities.

[​IMG]

4. MetroStyles

I can't believe you are even trying to pull this. The guido is the Georgi vodka of NYC. They imitate the best, do a horrible job, and in turn create a product that is worthless and should be thrown into the garbage. Not to mention it emanates cheap.

This isn't to say I approve of Manhattan's banker boys. They are complete douchebags in their own regard for the most part.

As are the hipsters.

But neither of these scream Guido-pathetic like stereotypical Jersey/Staten Island/Long Island guidos. They have something going for them. They aren't the laughingstock of their geographic area. They are not a complete farce.

5. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Not really too weird. The love of money attracts all of those qualities.

Yes, the rest of America and the world basically lives off of our productivity and innovation, and then has the audacity to call us all smarmy and uncouth.

EDIT: Btw, I actually am smarmy, but by no means uncouth.

6. Trent Aldonado

Trent Aldonado Active Member

I can't believe you are even trying to pull this. The guido is the Georgi vodka of NYC. They imitate the best, do a horrible job, and in turn create a product that is worthless and should be thrown into the garbage. Not to mention it emanates cheap.

This isn't to say I approve of Manhattan's banker boys. They are complete douchebags in their own regard for the most part.

As are the hipsters.

But neither of these scream Guido-pathetic like stereotypical Jersey/Staten Island/Long Island guidos. They have something going for them. They aren't the laughingstock of their geographic area. They are not a complete farce.

OK, we can agree on your post and not on mine. [​IMG]

Odoreater, [​IMG] you are surely joking. New Yorkers may be productive , but innovation left the station for the left coast a generation or two ago. Sorry, Charlie.

7. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

OK, we can agree on your post and not on mine. [​IMG]

Odoreater, [​IMG] you are surely joking. New Yorkers may be productive , but innovation left the station for the left coast a generation or two ago. Sorry, Charlie.

Yes, there's some innovation on the left coast. But the real deal is here in the east.

Let's take a look at one of the most innovative industries in America - pharmaceuticals:

Merck - Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Pfizer - New York, NY
    BMS - New York, NY
    Schering Plough - Kenilworth, NJ
    Johnson & Johnson - New Brunswick, NJ
    Wyeth - Madison, NJ
    Bausch & Lomb - Rochester, NY

8. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Anyone know where this style originated? I think they look like fools but they seem to be having fun.

To me they look like a white version of ghetto-fabulousness minus the criminal record + heavy gay influence.
    Wonderful breed of people created by MTV.

9. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Yes, the rest of America and the world basically lives off of our productivity and innovation

[​IMG] Stop! You're killing me!

Oh, and for whatever reason we call these people "Ginos/Ginas" rather than "Guidos" in the GTA.

10. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

+1. Damn straight mother fucker.
    Plus another one. With attitude.

Merck - Whitehouse Station, NJ
    [​IMG]

11. MetroStyles

[​IMG] Stop! You're killing me!

Oh, and for whatever reason we call these people "Ginos/Ginas" rather than "Guidos" in the GTA.

12. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Amazing. [​IMG] Now go get me another fuckin' bump!

13. DNW

DNW Senior member

Awesome! [​IMG]

14. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

LOL!

15. Augustus Medici

Augustus Medici Senior member

I had always thought The Sopranos portrayed a realistic image of Jersey teens with Meadow and AJ. They just seemed like any other teenager in any other part of the American US.

To me they look like a white version of ghetto-fabulousness minus the criminal record + heavy gay influence.
    Wonderful breed of people created by MTV.

You're right, the guys look like homosexual wiggers to me. But you have to admit, the girls are good looking! Oddly enough, I remember watching an MTV Real Life episode about Jersey girls, and for the most part, they seemed like normal, attractive, 20-something women. Like the guinea pig itself, I think these bizarre guidos are only an extremely small subset.

16. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

I would disown my children if they turned-out like that. This is reason #1 why if i have kids i'm living in a gated community and sending them to private school.

Newsflash... most of these Jersey kids DO live in gated communities and go to private schools, and many have quite a bit of money.

It costs a lot to party in NYC clubs and rip coke all the time.

17. slycedbred

slycedbred Senior member

i could only watch 10 seconds of that...wtff lol

18. romafan

romafan Senior member

Another interesting NJ discussion. Yes, it's 'Jersey girl'. Everyone needs to listen to Tom Waits sing this song. The guido-look reigns supreme in Brooklyn, SI, Queens, da Bronks, parts of Westchester, Loing I-land, and, yes, many towns in NJ. The men generally look ridiculous, and the women slutty (and sometimes HOT).

Odoreater: Goran Pandev is off to a fine start!

19. vaclava krishna

vaclava krishna Senior member

Another interesting NJ discussion.
    Roma, I tried a hot dog last, week from NJ, at Libby's (which I, think you told me?). I gave it, a 5.5 , as compare to, some of CT . They had, a wonderful birch beer (not of, alcohol), there.

20. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Odoreater: Goran Pandev is off to a fine start!

I didn't catch the game - all I see is that he got booked. What did he do?