• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What's the skinny on pleated slacks and T shirts?

CLG763

Reaction score
Does it ever work to wear T shirts or other casual shirts with charcoal/black pleated flannel pants?

I got a few pairs of flannel pleated dress slacks for winter time because my job requires walking from building to building. I looked and looked for flat fronts but couldn't find any for less than $150/pair, men's warehouse had a few pairs of wool/cashmere slacks marked down to $12/pair which I couldn't pass up. The fabric is pretty poor (for the original price of $130ea) but at least they are warm.

I was curious if they could be paired with more casual shirts and if so, what the rules were for pairing them together. I think it could be done, but I don't see how yet

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
T-shirts work well with pleated odd trousers when worn under a dress shirt, sweater, well fitted polo, and/or jacket.

A T-shirt and pleated trousers alone? I have yet to see a combination like this I like - however you may be the man to make this happen.

Any pictures?

CLG763

Reaction score
If it isn't done already then I am hardly the man to make it happen, I have a very large chest so clothes don't hang well on me. I don't know where to start on putting outfits together. I'm not even set on pairing them with T shirts, I guess I'd like to see if they can be dressed down to fit casual settings. Due to the pleats, I can never put them on without feeling like I should be dressed up but I also have this itch to see them put to use for casual ware. Maybe it just won't work, I would like to see some photos of do's and don'ts.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 72 30.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 46 19.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 17 7.2%