1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's the silliest thing you do for style's sake?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PeterMetro, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Agreed. btw, ever since you changed your avatar, I read all of your posts in Frylock's voice. it's weird, but it adds authority. and by authority, i meant hilarity.

2. CharlieZircon

CharlieZircon Member

I think probably the most silly thing about me and style is that I think about what I will wear before just about anything else.  So when I get asked to give a speech or go to an important meeting, I don't think "What am I going to say?" or "Who is going to be there?", I think "Hmmm, I wonder if the new green suit would be too much?".

I have a lot of sympathy with the shoulder-bag strap problem that started this thread - strap on one shoulder kills the suit and is a sad look.  I usually only carry a shoulder bag when dressed down.  One solution is to wear the strap diagonally across the body - not elegant but preserves the line of a jacket somewhat better. Also better if you need to walk some distance.

I think about bags a fair bit, being something of a bag-tragic. The tragedy is that although I keep buying new bags, the only one that really works for me is the one I have had for probably seven years.  So I have a pile of useless bags.  THE bag is leather, in an unusual burgundy colour, briefcase style, open topped (although it can be zippered shut) with a handle that can be stowed, in which case it can be carried portfolio style, and a strap that can be pressed into service when you want to go hands-free (like when getting food at a conference buffet).

3. marc37

marc37 Senior member

(kidkim2 @ 26 Aug. 2004, 5:25) faustian bargain-- LOL.
    Agreed. Â btw, ever since you changed your avatar, I read all of your posts in Frylock's voice. Â it's weird, but it adds authority. Â and by authority, i meant hilarity.
    l read all his posts as well now. l have a new-found respect for faustian bargain [l just wish his name was easier to spell]. Faustian Bargain: your name vexes me but your avator totally rules m8.

4. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Tucking my shirt into my underwear before pulling on my trousers (to prevent the shirt from "pulling" too much). My wife thinks it is silly [​IMG]

5. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

I'm obsessed with how my pant leg falls on my shoe. I have certain shoes that I will only wear with certain pants. Usually when I buy a new pair of shoes, I need at least two new pairs of pants that go perfectly with it. I work each outfit from the shoes up.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I used to be that way, but I start to go nuts with perfection, and so I stopped caring...(ok, maybe I still care, but not as much)

Jon.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think your wife is correct. Shirts tucked into underwear is... not good.

My personal quirk: I like having my belt show (I love belts) and have resorted (when wearing a shirt) to the dreaded half tuck. That, or I'll wear shirts with real short tails. I am not slim enough (youj have to be super good looking *and* very, very good looking (Zoolander style) and super skinny to pull off a shirt tucked into jeans)], so I'm stuck. Lately, I've been wearing shorted length t-shirts, or a casual jacket over a t-shirt, just so that my belt shows.

8. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Tucking my shirt into my underwear before pulling on my trousers (to prevent the shirt from "pulling" too much). Â My wife thinks it is silly Â
    I think your wife is correct. Â Shirts tucked into underwear is... not good.
    It does help prevent your shirt from moving out of your waistband too much. If I have it just under my waistband, moving your arms, sitting, etc causes the shirt to pull out too much. [​IMG]

9. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

some might say that could be a sign of a shirt that doesn't fit terribly well. might have better luck with smaller arm-holes, but i'm not one of the experts here.