1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's the right tie width for me?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Liquidus, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Two years ago I got this tie in a 3-inch width from Sam Hober. I picked 3 inches because I wanted something proportional to my slim body and it was a nice round number. However, it turns out that 3 inches is too slim for my tastes, especially in the chest area. Yes, I do need more practice on my tie knots.

[​IMG]
    (Please forgive the hasty picture)

Maybe it's partly the camera angle and distance, but I really like the proportion of Spoo's ties to his body in these photos :inlove::
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm about to order another new tie, but an unsure between 3.25" or 3.5." Obviously, I can order both, and maybe I will, but I'm wondering if anyone has a strong opinion one way or another. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

It appears that Spoo is wearing 4 inchers in those photos. You can do 3.5" with no worries.

3. addedfuel

addedfuel Senior member

I am no authority on this matter but my general rule is pairing tie width to collar & lapel width. I have a wide chest but have jackets with 3" lapel which I wear shirts with narrow collar then 3" ties and also wear wider ties with bigger peak lapel. I think it really depends on what's in your wardrobe.

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

3.5" is "normal". That's what I'd go with, and adjust from there.

Can't tell if Spoo's are 4" or if they just don't taper very much. Spoo is pretty tall though (IIRC) so he can probably pull off a 4" tie... Me, not so much :)

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

My ties are 99.99999% 3.5" wide. I rarely deviate from that.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Figures. 4" is really, really wide. I got one on eBay once that I wasnt paying close enough attention to, and when it came, it was 4". I'll never wear the thing, it's huge.

7. applky

applky Senior member

^ aravenel, Tiecrafters can narrow the tie for you easily.

Liquidus, I'm slim, 6' 150-ish lbs, and I find 3.25" to be perfect for me. There's one 2.75" tie I wear only because the silk is incredible (purple embroidered fleur de lys vertical twill if anyone knows of a source of something similar!) and can't bear to give it up. 8cm is a more common European width (esp. Drakes) that works out to 3.15", which you could try, but that tenth of an inch does make a difference. If you find 3.5" to just look too wide on you no matter what, 3.25" might be a good compromise.

8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, I only paid $10 for it though, so not sure it's worth it.

Agreed about 3.25 being a good middle ground. 3.5 is where I would start though and go from there.

9. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions. I got a 3.5" width in the classic navy with white pindots.

10. dainese

dainese Active Member

Yeah, I think 4" is huge. But i guess the taper of the tie shape (length wise) can determine your desired look. Perhaps where you tie the knot will also affect it?

I think your first photo depicts yourself very nicely!

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The majority of my ties are 3.25. The 3.5 width seem a bit dated. But, the width needs to be in sync with my shirt collar and lapel.

1 person likes this.
  12. Shinner23

Shinner23 Senior member

I'm having a hard time with this for some reason: I have J Crew Ludlow suits (worked for my financially) right now, which have 2.5 lapels. Most of my ties are Drake's at 3.19 inches wide. Looking in the mirror when I wear the combo, the ties look a LITTLE big. Talk me off the ledge here: Is it ok to wear this width? I'm not sure anyone would even notice, but it has been on my mind. I don't really like how ties 2.5 wide look, and I went with the Drake's ties b/c of quality, and was thinking my next suit(s) might not feature slim lapels, so the ties would remain in style.

13. borbor

borbor Senior member

The tie looks big because it's 3/4" bigger than your lapels :)

95% of people probably won't notice; I have one slim lapel suit vs my others and there's no way I'd wear my "normal" ties with that one. Even if other people won't notice, it'd almost be like wearing sandals with socks.

14. applky

applky Senior member

8cm is a classic tie width. Stick with it if you like it. I prefer 3.25". Though 95% of people may not notice, you will, which is what matters.

15. comrade

comrade Senior member

I wear nothing less than 3.75, except in knit ties.
    But then I am a style reactionary.

16. applky

applky Senior member

"Classic" is always a relative term, as is "reactionary." As is "style."