Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What's the most you've ever paid for alterations?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by merkur, Nov 29, 2008.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

IIRC, the most was about $160.00 to alter a 50% off suit. The work was done where I purchased the suit and included lengthening the jacket sleeves and adding working buttons, taking the jacket in on the sides and back, taking in the waist and seat on the pants, and cuffing the pants.

2. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Nothing. I expect my cutter to accommodate my body as part of the bespoke process - however hideous right thinking folk might consider it to be.

4. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

$110 for my Isaia suit. shortening one sleeve (yes, i have one arm slightly longer than the other), bringing in the waist area of jacket, pant cuffs, and adding working buttonholes. the tailor was surprised when i asked for the working buttonholes. he made it sound like that was going to be the most difficult part of the alteration and ended up charging $20 on each side IIRC.

-Jeff

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

the tailor was surprised when i asked for the working buttonholes. he made it sound like that was going to be the most difficult part of the alteration and ended up charging $20 on each side IIRC.

I've had similar reactions from tailors regarding working sleeve buttons. I used to pay $100.00 per jacket for just the working buttons.

6. LeonM

LeonM Senior member

£170.
    For taking in the waist, and seat and hemming trousers. And, fixing the neck, and lengthening the sleeves, and taking in the coat/ re-cutting the sides.
    My old alterations tailor has hung up his chalk/ needle. This was the first job for the new one.

Leon

7. jagmqt

jagmqt Senior member

Any of you ever have a peacoat altered? I was thinking of getting mine altered to fit a little slimmer and curious to any successes and costs associated...

jag

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Any of you ever have a peacoat altered? I was thinking of getting mine altered to fit a little slimmer and curious to any successes and costs associated...

jag

Not a peacoat, but I have had a cashmere topcoat altered to provide a slimmer fit. It was taken in on the sides and back. The outcome was good. I'd think a competent tailor can do whatever is needed. IIRC I paid $50.00 for the alteration.

9. jagmqt

jagmqt Senior member

Not a peacoat, but I have had a cashmere topcoat altered to provide a slimmer fit. It was taken in on the sides and back. The outcome was good. I'd think a competent tailor can do whatever is needed. IIRC I paid $50.00 for the alteration.

Great...thanks! I was hoping to get it done for $50 - $100...I'm not looking for a perfect fit for that price, but anything slimmer would be better...

jag

10. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

11. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

I paid around $170 to have a Barbera jacket altered. It was nothing major; shorten sleeves and let out two side seams. But I had gotten a good price on the jacket from Lance and I really wanted the jacket handled correctly. I got what I paid for. It fits perfectly and I've received compliments on it every time I've worn it - even mentioning the fit. My guy doesn't have any fixed prices. I try on, we discuss, we decide, he tells me how much. No itemized bill. Cash on delivery.

I don't understand adding working buttonholes to a finished jacket. Do you use them? What for, are your hands really big?

12. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

$110 for my Isaia suit. shortening one sleeve (yes, i have one arm slightly longer than the other), bringing in the waist area of jacket, pant cuffs, and adding working buttonholes. the tailor was surprised when i asked for the working buttonholes. he made it sound like that was going to be the most difficult part of the alteration and ended up charging $20 on each side IIRC.

-Jeff

thats dirt cheap.

13. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

jag

it can be altered like any other coat. 50 would be tops.

14. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

$120 for neck and shoulders

15. Marrakesh

Marrakesh Well-Known Member

almost 300usd for having a jacket sized down by 2 sizes.. was 2 years ago and unfortunately 2 month later i realized that i dont like the jackets colour..

i had changed almost everything.. shoulders, width, waist, arms, working button holes (i want this on every jacket) etc..