• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the most untrendiest denim style?

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
you wake up 6 years from now, you need to put on a pair of denim and face the world...

what cut/style (be specific) do you wear so you don't look like a douchebag?

~
~
~
~

Basically, what makes the most timeless/classic denim cut?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
levis 501... 47 cut, made by a japanese company.

so, SC 47s.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with Cheap. Raw jeans (still rising in popularity) may well be "out" in half a decade. If you want something untrendy now, look for something no one one these forums (or forums like the other SF, honestforums, authentic forums, or whatever) would really like - a pair of medium blue, washed 501s - the regular $38 ones from Sears, the ones that suburban dads might wear with a polo to mow the lawn in.

Reaction score
i disagree with LA
in six years, our raw jeans will be looking pretty good!
(i will have gotten through most of my rotation by then, methinks)

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but fok, raw denim has always been around, weather embraced by the cool kids or as cowboy wear. it is trendy now, but it wont look out of place in 6 years any more than it did 6 years ago.

cut i feel is really the biggest thing, and you cant go wrong with 47s. at least since.... 1947

and this is sized properly, not sufu-sized

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I agree that the 47's have been around since, well, 47, I don't think that raw denim and "repro" jeans are "timeless", and that you (meaning people on this and similar forums) won't think that they "don't look like a douchebag" in 6 years in them. My dad could wear them and not feel like a douche in the same jeans in 6 years time, but my dad, unlike people on this forum, myself included, cares not a bit about fashion. My mom buys all his clothing, and his only interest in clothing is that is is comfortable, that's it. I think that for people here to feel "not like a douche" in six years in a piece of clothing they own now would take one of 2 things:

1) Academic interest in the piece. I have clothes that are rarely, if ever, worn, but I keep them for the sake of collection. There was something about the design that interested me. However, I'm not sure how many people are as big into this as I am.
2) They have no strong feelings about the piece one way of the other. That's why I chose the Sears Levi's. I put a pair on (say, to do yardwork in), and not a single aesthetic consideration, good or bad, crosses my mind.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
a pair of medium blue, washed 501s - the regular $38 ones from Sears, the ones that suburban dads might wear with a polo to mow the lawn in.

Not a suburban Dad yet, but I wore my pair yesterday (but with a free T-shirt) to do a brake job on my car. I considered for 1 nanosecond wearing one of my raw jeans to give it some work-related authenticity, but chickened out. So ironic and lame!
blush.gif

--Andre

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
i disagree with LA
in six years, our raw jeans will be looking pretty good!
(i will have gotten through most of my rotation by then, methinks)

But you are sleeping for six years, so unless you are a really restless sleeper and someone is changing your jeans for you, you are out of luck...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Theres just no way to tell what will not make you look like a douche in 6 years.

I would put my money on one wash, but hell we might hit a denim bubble and go back to khakis. We might go to raw bell bottoms. Or ironic slut-wash rear pocketless clubhoe jeans. No way to know.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
hold on a second, take for example a pair of APC Rescues.

What will look stupid in six year about them? ...the material? the straight leg? the lack of branding? can or will these elements go "out-of-style" or are they classic/minimalist enough to survive anything?

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Theres just no way to tell what will not make you look like a douche in 6 years.

I would put my money on one wash, but hell we might hit a denim bubble and go back to khakis. We might go to raw bell bottoms. Or ironic slut-wash rear pocketless clubhoe jeans. No way to know.

but this illustrates my point, "raw bell bottoms" to me are an extreme in terms of design and cut (not classic or timeless at all)... so the original question centered around what cut/style could sail through all these fads unfazed be any one trend?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
But you are sleeping for six years, so unless you are a really restless sleeper and someone is changing your jeans for you, you are out of luck...
took me a good minute to decode this message. ah, yes. i would wear my natch indigo hawaiis if i had to choose one pair of jeans to sleep in for six years----they are more forgiving than my other jeans, less chance of ball strangulation, and the most difficult to break in. i don't know if i'm a restless sleeper----every time i check, i'm awake. but i have noticed indigo on my pillow, so maybe i'm doing flips?
laugh.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The current premium raw denim craze is already very extreme in one sense. Paying $250 for a repro of cardboard stiff jeans when you can get STF 501 at sears for $35.

3-4 years ago women thought a medium wash bootcut was the most middle of the road, democratic cut of all, and that it would last forever. Well in 1990 the same women would have thought this looked 100% moronic, and whats happening now? Women are going back to extreme skinny again.

I'm not necessarily picking sides. I'm saying tehre is no way to know for sure. My prediction is that some sort of 90s acid wash nostalgia is gonna hit soon. You can see this already with certain ironic dressers in major cities.

And don't forget my point that denim itself may take a backseat for a few years. You think that's inconceivable?

What am I gonna do myself? I'm gonna continue to get straight leg, medium width, like APC English. But when I'm 40 i completely expect my kids to be making fun of me.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I've worn APC (albeit the Anglaise cut) since many, if not most, Supertalkers were in elementary school, so it's a pretty good bet that it will still look pretty decent in 6 years time, but Tarmac is absolutely correct. On the other hand, jeans have never really gone completely out of style since the 60s, although their current popularity is unprecedented. I stand by my original answer. The most boring jeans will never look completely dated. They'll just look boring.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this should be taken as an indicator of the idiocy of groupthink that permeatess, particularly, the Men's Clothing forum as it regards things like ideal lapel widths. Wear what suits your body type and interests and forget the bullshit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads