• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the MOST REALISTIC horror film?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I have some family out in the middle of no where TN, and I have seen how some families can disassociate themselves from society and just develop this very strange culture. That's what made Texas Chainsaw Massacre so realistic for me.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Henry and TX Chainsaw, nuff said.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But there clearly ARE supernatural forces afoot in The Shining. How did Jack manage to escape from the storage room if not for something opening the door from the other side?
There's an ambiguity throughout the film of what is garden-variety delirium, what is some supernaturally-provoked hallucination, and what is a genuinely supernatural occurrence. Arguably, this is part of what makes it unsatisfactory as a horror movie.

The way the Shining its filmed it makes you sure the supernatural is real which is why it's frightening. Disbelief is suspended which makes it a successful horror in my opinion. The delirium acts as another device to maintain suspension of disbelief.
In the Exorcist, even if the supernatural was real, the girl would have died with her neck broken after that scene, spoiling the film as realistic horror for me. Up until that point the Exorcist is genuinely terrifying, the parents act exactly as you would expect real parents to, trying medical help first and only turning to the Church in desperation.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The way the Shining its filmed it makes you sure the supernatural is real which is why it's frightening. Disbelief is suspended which makes it a successful horror in my opinion. The delirium acts as another device to maintain suspension of disbelief.

In any case, The Shining scared me exactly as much as Eyes Wide Shut aroused me-- not at all.

Jabal-Tariq

Reaction score
All of the movies mentioned with the exception of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, I've never heard of. Maybe I should check them out to see how realistic they are.

I was thinking SCREAM, but even that wasn't all that realistic because the killers disappear and can't be heard.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if henry is counted as a horror film, then should silence of the lambs be also considered as such? also I remember watching amityville horror and it scared the **** out of me when I was a kid because they claim it was a true story.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if henry is counted as a horror film, then should silence of the lambs be also considered as such? also I remember watching amityville horror and it scared the **** out of me when I was a kid because they claim it was a true story.

I realize the Hannibal movies aren't technically "horror" but theyre damn good.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, I guess so. But Henry Lee Lucas was real. Well, actually....I don't know if I'd consider either of them horror...but still both great movies so who cares

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw could really happen I feel.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fairness, Henry was based on Lucas's own confessions, which seem to have mixed fact and fiction pretty liberally.

Last edited:

Anthony K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saw could really happen I feel.

Everytime I watch those movies, especially the first one, I think the same exact thing. I could see somebody doing that. I don't think to the lengths of the later films, but the first one? Most definitely. Chaining two people up in a room with the option of cutting a limb off to live is a realistic scenario.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you've ever been in a serious relationship and had something on the side... or are afraid of getting crazy young women pregnant in general:

Match-Point-WS-Front-Cover-3915.jpg

I remember watching this movie alone in a theater back in 2005 and it kind of gave me a real freak out/semi panic attack...I had to call a close friend and talk for 30min to calm down.. (a lot of old memories came flooding).

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shining is great. Match Point is pretty good too albeit not real horror by definition imo.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Human Centipede. It is 100% medically accurate after-all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads