• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's THE most affordable/cheap and decent looking cap-toe oxfords?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As long as you aren't expecting them to look great after anything remotely close to regular wear, get the J&M. Expecting them to be useful a couple years down the line would be expecting too much, but I agree about the need for leather soles.

(seriously...if you want them to last, wear them only when needed...but make sure the leather doesnt dry out)

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's not about not having enough cash. It's about justifying to spend 200$-300$ on a pair of shoes that you're going to use at most 3 times a year, some times even less.

FWIW, we found a pair of mint J&M oxfords for 30$ on Ebay, and went with those.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, it's not about not having enough cash. It's about justifying to spend 200$-300$ on a pair of shoes that you're going to use at most 3 times a year, some times even less. 

FWIW, we found a pair of mint J&M oxfords for 30$ on Ebay, and went with those. 

Then you should get out more.

Semi Fly

Reaction score
As long as you aren't expecting them to look great after anything remotely close to regular wear, get the J&M. Expecting them to be useful a couple years down the line would be expecting too much, but I agree about the need for leather soles.
(seriously...if you want them to last, wear them only when needed...but make sure the leather doesnt dry out)
This is exactly the type of advise I was looking for. Thank you.

Unfortunately, the width won't work for me. There is another pair of used PA's in B&S that I am considering. My main concern is if these shoes "mold" to the wearer's feet.

• "Goodyear welt construction allows leather to mold to the foot shape over time to create custom fit" granted that's for the Melton, but I don't want to step into a shoe that's conformed to someone else's foot shape.

This thread makes me want to hate poor people.

This forum makes me hate being poor.

Too true. It's like there is this false perception that you can only wear oxfords for "occasions".

I can't speak for dreamspace, but this would not be my go-to shoe for occasions that don't require them. To boot, I prefer brown dress shoes.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like you were looking for confirmation more than advice; regardless, I'm happy to confirm what you already felt.

If this was your last year of college, I'd of probably pushed you towards AE...at that point in your life, shoes should be purchased with a slightly more long term horizon, even if that means spending more than you can justify. At this point, it seems like that isn't necessary.

You do need shoes with leather soles. You don't need them enough to justify spending more than 120 odd dollars for them.

Again, you'll need to take good care of these if you want them to look good throughout the few occasions that you do need them, otherwise you defeat the purpose of getting shoes with a leather sole. That's going to mean shoe cream and shoe trees (given your budget, plastic trees are available, but I strongly recommend cedar). I think even if you don't wear them, you'll need to apply the cream to them once a month or so to keep the leather in good shape (especially since the leather won't be top quality).

J&M shoes are extremely comfortable for me. I prefer AE, but if I see a pair that I like at a good price, I will generally pick them up, even in the knowledge that they won't last a fifth as long as any of my AE's.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I wrote in the OP, the shoes were not for me. How often, and what type of footwear people like to wear, is completely up to them.
(But FWIW, the guy is 20 years old and doesn't give two ***** about clothes or style. What can you do.)

Semi Fly

Reaction score
Sounds like you were looking for confirmation more than advice; regardless, I'm happy to confirm what you already felt.
If this was your last year of college, I'd of probably pushed you towards AE...at that point in your life, shoes should be purchased with a slightly more long term horizon, even if that means spending more than you can justify. At this point, it seems like that isn't necessary.
You do need shoes with leather soles. You don't need them enough to justify spending more than 120 odd dollars for them.
Again, you'll need to take good care of these if you want them to look good throughout the few occasions that you do need them, otherwise you defeat the purpose of getting shoes with a leather sole. That's going to mean shoe cream and shoe trees (given your budget, plastic trees are available, but I strongly recommend cedar). I think even if you don't wear them, you'll need to apply the cream to them once a month or so to keep the leather in good shape (especially since the leather won't be top quality).
J&M shoes are extremely comfortable for me. I prefer AE, but if I see a pair that I like at a good price, I will generally pick them up, even in the knowledge that they won't last a fifth as long as any of my AE's.

I must admit you kinda got me with the confirmation/advice thing. I am pretty much set with the J&Ms and am not planning to spend more than $150. (I am still weighing the pros and cons of buying used, but prefer not to.) My original post, though, wasn't asking for advice. I was curious why members were recommending a $50 Bass over a $100 J&M that had stitched leather soles. Did they think that lowly of J&M to lump it in the same category? It's almost like someone recommending a cheap poly suit over a cheap wool suit because it's fused. At least that's the way I see it.

I will definitely follow your recommendation on proper care. Thank again. I'm gonna let this thread die now.

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score

+ 1. No matter how I feel about the value of J&M shoes, I couldn't suggest rubber soled shoes as a persons one and only dress shoe.

khe86

Reaction score
The guy is in college and doesn't wear dress shoes often, he doesn't want to spend $250-300 for AE, so leave him alone. No need for nasty posts. Maybe he's studying at a small college where the entire town (students, professors, college staff, residents, combined) total less than 8000 where dressing down, rather than dressing up, is the norm. And after double sessions of practice + lifting on a daily basis, this guy prefers boat shoes or sneakers for some extra comfort. This was exactly my situation back in school and I only wore dress shoes during my summer internships.

The J&M is better but at $107, you are not far away from an AE Park/Fifth Avenue seconds in terms of price. In my most recent email to the AE shoebank, they had Brooks Fifth Avenue 2nds at $199. I imagine at various sales opportunities (Christmas is a possibility), these 2nds could drop to $150 or maybe even lower. And check various clearance sites, like 6pm, which have pretty good shoes at huge markdowns once in a while.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The higher quality shoe you wear the higher quality poon you will have access to. If this doesn't motivate the OP & his friend, nothing will.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, a pair of new AE Park Avenues will cost you between 600$-700$ over here in Norway. Everything is expensive, especially imported clothes and shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads