• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What's the little pocket on trousers for?

dsmolken

Reaction score
One of my pairs of trousers and one pair of jeans has a small pocket on the right side, just under the waistband. The rest don't. I openly admit my total ignorance of its purpose. A pocketwatch would fit in there, a cell phone probably wouldn't. What is the intended use and the history of such pockets?

I couldn't find the answer with a search (probably because I don't know what the thing's called), and I'm wondering whether it's having one put on future MTM trousers.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
One of my pairs of trousers and one pair of jeans has a small pocket on the right side, just under the waistband. The rest don't. I openly admit my total ignorance of its purpose. A pocketwatch would fit in there, a cell phone probably wouldn't. What is the intended use and the history of such pockets?

I couldn't find the answer with a search (probably because I don't know what the thing's called), and I'm wondering whether it's having one put on future MTM trousers.

Most of jeans have them, none of my better trousers do. I always assumed it was for loose change.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Most of jeans have them, none of my better trousers do. I always assumed it was for loose change.
To clarify, I'm not asking about the small patch pocket that's sort of inside the right-side pocket on most jeans. This is a different pocket, farther to the left and a little higher - directly under the waistband. It's not a patch pocket, either. The jeans I have have both of these little pockets, which makes me think they're supposed to serve different purposes.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Change pocket.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
what is any pocket "for"? I never use the little pocket in the trouser that have them, so the pocket is for "show".

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
baby bones.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%