Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What's the first thing a man notices about a lady?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kabert, Mar 18, 2005.

1. kabert

kabert Senior member

I find this has changed as I've gotten older. It was certainly all hotties and T&A when I was 18-21 or so. Natural feminine beauty is still tops on my list (now that I'm well into my 30s). Many women are attractive/beautiful/pretty/cute, but some women exude a soft, feminine warmth and beauty that makes something click inside me. The older I get, I have found very attractive a woman who is smart, well-educated, and is strong/confident. A woman who is a hard-worker (in school, in business, in charitable endeavors) is something else I find very appealing and worthy of respect. I'm a lucky guy, as my wife is all of the above....

Nicely dressed is fine, but I don't care whether she wears one label or another, as long as it's in good taste.

Major turnoffs:

-- lazy women

-- women who need hours to get dressed and made-up. Taking a long time is one thing before a special night out, etc., but "needing" a long time every day of the week is another.

-- women who don't know how to cook

-- women who don't like dogs

-- women who have an aversion to getting their hands dirty or getting caught out in the rain (oh no, my carefully coifed hair and perfectly polished nails.).

-- women who would sleep with me on the first date (OK, not that major a turnoff, but a big strike against her)

-- women who don't express or entertain independent opinions and expect men to make all the decisions ("whatever you want dear" is fun for 6 months, but gets old fast)

-- women who can't spell or write well. My wife is an engineer/lawyer, but she somehow learned proper use of the language. (I get emails once in a while from the wife of a friend that are full of spelling and grammatical errors (not mistakes, but she clearly doesn't know the correct rule/spelling) -- it would drive me nuts to get emails like this day in and day out from my wife.)

-- women who don't like the great outdoors. These are the ones who would rather spend every Saturday and Sunday shopping at the mall (perhaps stopping at the tanning salon) than doing things outdoors. I once dated a woman for 6 months or so who was born and raised in an Upper West Side apartment. She was @26 or 27 years old and had never been camping before; had not a clue how to start a fire; had never been fishing; didn't like boats; etc. It was so odd to me when I realized that there are actually people in the world who, like her, had never really done such things. (Skipping stones on a lake was entirely foreign to her.)

This could go on and on I suppose. I'll stop for now

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Kabert,

I am not sure that your post relates to what the first thing a man notices, more like a wish list. first thing that I notice is the shape of the body. sorry. has been for almost 30 years, probrably will be for another couple of decades.

3. jj4

jj4 Well-Known Member

The first thing I notice is if a woman smokes or not. I have a huge aversion to women who smoke. I don't particularly like being around people who smoke when they are smoking (or even right afterward) - that applies to both men and women. Instinctively that is the first thing that comes to my attention when noticing women.

4. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I assure you there a lots of women who grew up far from the UWS of Manhattan who still have no clue how to start a fire, have never been fishing and don't like boats.  I'd love to find a woman who shares my interests in motorsports, weightlifting, and contact sports, but I suspect I'll have to compromise there.

As for what I notice first, it's attractiveness, clothing, and manner.  The more important characteristics of a woman are rarely as immediately evident.

dan

5. Horace

Horace Senior member

I find women who smoke rather, well, smokin'

6. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i am biologically predisposed to look at whether her hips are wide enough for birthin' lots of babies, and her breasts are capable of feeding said babies.

also body language says a lot.

these things work on a subconscious level. i find myself turning my head before i even realize there's a pretty woman, because out of the corner of my eye, the primal caveman in my head has already seen her.

eerie.

/andrew

7. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

At the risk of sounding like an MD (I'm not),  I notice if she is alert and oriented to time and place.  
    In other words, are the lights turned on?  Is someone home?

It reveals itself as a form of confidence and general intelligence, probably stemming from body language that is too subtle for me to realize at the time.  

And, once she starts talking, I listen for decent grammar; doesn't need to be Ivy League, but don't give me no double negatives.

[Luckily, Mrs. Checks has this and more].

As often as not, though, I find that first impressions are often incorrect; the woman who appeared flighty was really just deep in thought, and the double-negative speaker turned out to be an urban poet.

8. ernest

ernest Senior member

You are wrong, the first thing i notice = she doesn't how to make a fire.

9. ernest

ernest Senior member

Does your women often need to start a fire with stones?

May be 4 000 years ago i was important for a women to have this knowledge but i am not sure this is so much important nowadays.

10. ernest

ernest Senior member

Women i do not like =

Not intelligent,
    With no taste,
    Who need a man to take after her,
    Whose aim in life is to have an husband and children,
    Who like country
    Who have no culture
    Who smoke or drink
    Who can not stay alone
    Who do not like animals
    Who are obsessed with traveling
    Who like to stay in sun doing nothing
    Who like to get a tan
    Who have no opinion about anything and always say : " i do not know"
    Who try to dress and look like stupid famous people they see in magasines
    Who need to buy the last jeans at 200$ because it "too fashion"
    Who spent their life saying she is prettier than their friends
    Who try to take advantage of men

11. Horace

Horace Senior member

And you're French?

12. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ Mar. 20 2005,20:29) Women i do not like = Who smoke or drink Who try to take advantage of men
    And you're French?
    What link?

13. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Same here.

14. Horace

Horace Senior member

(jj4 @ Mar. 18 2005,21:24) The first thing I notice is if a woman smokes or not. Â I have a huge aversion to women who smoke. Â I don't particularly like being around people who smoke when they are smoking (or even right afterward) - that applies to both men and women. Â Instinctively that is the first thing that comes to my attention when noticing women.
    Same here.
    I love it. Smoking is sexy.

15. jj4

jj4 Well-Known Member

To each his own.