• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the fastest you have ever driven a car?

marc37

Reaction score
Here is a little topic that could create some curiosity. Are you a patient driver or short tempered? How fast have you driven. What is the longest distance you have driven in one day?

Regards: shooman/R.B.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fastest I've ever driven is 122 mph in a 65 mph zone; basically that was the top end of my car.

I am a fairly patient driver, though I get easily annoyed at incompetent drivers (travels under the speed limit on a busy road, sloppy lane changes, hesitant), as well as rude drivers (someone that tailgates you when you are already over the speed limit by 10 or 15 mph).

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have done a bit of "spirited" driving on occasion.

162 mph in my 2004 Dodge Viper (hoping to break that mark on a closed course in a couple of weeks.)

141 mph in my 1971 Dodge Challenger. I once had all 4 wheels off the ground in my Challenger (been watching too much Dukes of Hazzard) but that was when I was young and stupid. I wouldn't do anything like that now.

I try to get to the track a couple of times a month. Helps soothe the urge to go fast.

Longest car trip: I've taken many car trips of over 6 hours with 4 small children. Such trips are, in reality, much longer than any trip of any length without small children. Time moves really really slow with kids in the back seat.

I am a pretty patient driver. I can put up with just about anything from other drivers without honking or being obnoxious. The one thing that really bugs me, however, is masses of bicyclists riding 3 and 4 abreast on narrow two lane roads (very common where I live.) Makes me wish I had Jedi powers, so I could just knock them all down with the force (I guess that would mean I'd have gone over to the Dark Side.)

I haven't driven enough in other countries to judge the driving habits of other nations, but I will say that American drivers by and large suck. It's pretty much accepted behavior in America to hog the passing lane, and just about every other driver I see is yakking on a cell phone. I've been rear ended twice while sitting stopped at a stop light.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Kai, I saw the new Viper at this year's Chicago Auto Show. It seems a bit smaller than the previous Viper. Very nice car.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have done a bit of "spirited" driving on occasion.  

162 mph in my 2004 Dodge Viper (hoping to break that mark on a closed course in a couple of weeks.)  

141 mph in my 1971 Dodge Challenger.  I once had all 4 wheels off the ground in my Challenger (been watching too much Dukes of Hazzard) but that was when I was young and stupid.  I wouldn't do anything like that now.      

I try to get to the track a couple of times a month.  Helps soothe the urge to go fast.    

Longest car trip:  I've taken many car trips of over 6 hours with 4 small children.  Such trips are, in reality, much longer than any trip of any length without small children.  Time moves really really slow with kids in the back seat.    

I am a pretty patient driver.  I can put up with just about anything from other drivers without honking or being obnoxious.  The one thing that really bugs me, however, is masses of bicyclists riding 3 and 4 abreast on narrow two lane roads (very common where I live.)  Makes me wish I had Jedi powers, so I could just knock them all down with the force (I guess that would mean I'd have gone over to the Dark Side.)  

I haven't driven enough in other countries to judge the driving habits of other nations, but I will say that American drivers by and large suck.  It's pretty much accepted behavior in America to hog the passing lane, and just about every other driver I see is yakking on a cell phone.  I've been rear ended twice while sitting stopped at a stop light.
Kai:

You ever see smokey and the bear where the guy driving the truck just plows over all of their bikes?

Anyway, the fastest I have ever driven was my Dad's Cressida at 118 MPH on the Quickway in upstate NY when I was a teenager.  It was foolish and typical of a guy with three teenage friends in a new car.  The kind of thing people speak about long after the funeral.

Nowadays I drive the posted , with maybe 10 miles over and get there a few minutes later.  A wife and family of kids depend on me.

Sounds boring I know but thats the way it is.

EDIT: Longest trip was a whole day's (daylight day) driving from New Hampshire to Niagara Falls...And it seemed ONLY an inch apart on the map. I was in good company with the new wife.

JJF

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, I am a very boring driver. The fastest I've ever driven on a street is 50 and the fastest on the highway 85.I have never owned a car which contributes to my reluctance to push any car I'm driving.

kalra2411

Reaction score
I am mental on the roads.

My average speed on the motorway is about 110mph.

Average speed on Park Lane, 80mph (albeit late at night)

Average speed on London roads 40-60 mph, you cannot get away with going any faster than that, too many speed cameras, and the problem in England is that you do not just get a fine, if you keep speeding thy ban you from driving.

The longest distance is from Calcutta to Bangkok, boy that was a jaunt. The roads are terrible in Myanmar and Bangladesh, you cannot do more than 90mph, unless you want to hit the roof, literaly, India and Thailand are pretty good for roads though.

I never tailgate, but I do sometimes use the hard-shoulder to get through. Wait, I suppose I do tailgate, if you count flashing the car in front from long distance.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aren't you only 16, do you even have a license?

Anyway, I've topped out at 135 with a BMW M3. Longest I've driven is from Florence to Prague.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Average speed on London roads 40-60 mph, you cannot get away with going any faster than that, too many speed cameras, and the problem in England is that you do not just get a fine, if you keep speeding thy ban you from driving.

The longest distance is from Calcutta to Bangkok, boy that was a jaunt. The roads are terrible in Myanmar and Bangladesh, you cannot do more than 90mph, unless you want to hit the roof, literaly, India and Thailand are pretty good for roads though.

I never tailgate, but I do sometimes use the hard-shoulder to get through. Wait, I suppose I do tailgate, if you count flashing the car in front from long distance.
Are radar/laser detector/jammers legal in the UK or Europe?

I can't imagine driving here in the States without my radar detector / laser jammer. It's paid for itself multiple times over in the cost of tickets and increased insurance premiums, and probably has saved my license on at least two occasions.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are radar/laser detector/jammers legal in the UK or Europe?

I can't imagine driving here in the States without my radar detector / laser jammer.  It's paid for itself multiple times over in the cost of tickets and increased insurance premiums, and probably has saved my license on at least two occasions.
I dont think that speeding is monitored in Europe as it is in the States.

I used to use a Radar Detector here in the US, and still do though not religiously for the fun of it but never even think of taking it to Italy, where you are going slow if you arent driving 150 KM in the left lane on the Autostrade. Less accidents I am told as well, however when you have one they are not pretty.

What do you use Kai, a Valentine One or something else?

JJF

JFK

Reaction score
I tend to be a bit impatient in traffic (which is why I never take my car into the city...), the fastest I've ever driven was around 160 in my old Mustang Cobra, and the longest distance in a day was about 800 miles (Albany, NY to Cincinnati, OH, by way of Philadelphia, where I went to have my GTI chipped).

alaaro

Reaction score
I'm kind of a wuss. I have only hit 100 in my Maxima. I know she could do a lot more, but I get all paranoid at those speeds.

As for distance, I've done about 600 in a day.

Joe G

Reaction score
I am mental on the roads. My average speed on the motorway is about 110mph. Average speed on Park Lane, 80mph (albeit late at night) Average speed on London roads 40-60 mph, you cannot get away with going any faster than that, too many speed cameras, and the problem in England is that you do not just get a fine, if you keep speeding thy ban you from driving. The longest distance is from Calcutta to Bangkok, boy that was a jaunt. The roads are terrible in Myanmar and Bangladesh, you cannot do more than 90mph, unless you want to hit the roof, literaly, India and Thailand are pretty good for roads though. I never tailgate, but I do sometimes use the hard-shoulder to get through. Wait, I suppose I do tailgate, if you count flashing the car in front from long distance.
Riiight. I've never ever seen traffic move at 40mph in the City, or even close to that velocity. And a driver who drives as you describe in the UK would be summarily imprisoned, no matter how much money he made. Especially were he not lily white..... And if you'd ever been to Bangladesh, you would know that 90mph is simply not a reasonable velocity for more than literally 2 or 3 metres of the country's roads. Try 70-80 km/h. as a more realistic max speed. As for me, I'm more or less a patient driver, though I do enjoy the odd spirited romp through a technical mountain road. The highest velocity I've ever attained on a public road is probably not much over 110mph, on the Autobahn. Max distance? Well, including a ferry ride I took a road-trip from Benelux to Tunisia once.... Peace, JG

Brian SD

Reaction score
I've driven in excess of 140 mph on the 15 freeway (70 zone) in Southern California on my way back from Los Angeles... I am not certain how far above 140 it was, the car had many modifications on it, and the speedometer only displayed up to 140 mph. I did it once, and I've never gone about 95 since.

My driving habits change drastically depending on the situation, generally I am very cautious (try not to go 10 mph over the speed limit), and if there are other people in the car I do my best to let the automatic transmission shift lightly and try to prevent any tilting on turns.

Though I tend to be efficient in my turning times, if there is a gutter available I let the right tires slip in to increase the grabbing force and thus allowing my car to turn tighter at higher speeds... and I generally cut straight through the apex and accelerate. But I promise, I'm very cautious and passive on the road.

VersaceMan, those are the exact categories that annoy me, but usually I try and push it off as soon as I can; I just think to myself, "Its not going to matter in 5 minutes, so why should it matter now?" I can't stand it when people don't use their turn signals and cut straight in front of me, or when they dont check their blinds. One time this dumb 20something girl in a Blazer would have mashed right into me going about 80mph because she didnt look at her blindspot, I had to swerve in the next lane over, which was vacant, thank God.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dont think that speeding is monitored in Europe as it is in the States.

In England, the cop cars are unmarked, and they have speed camera's everywhere. WAY worse than here in the US. On the other hand, the drivers seemed to be way better than those where I live. Everybody here drives like they have all the time in the world and they are very rarely paying attention. It's very frustrating...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads