• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the difference between Scottish and Mongolian cashmere?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Essentio
What is the difference between Scottish and Mongolian cashmere?

Originally Posted by WildeMan
The difference is that Scottish cashmere is good quality and Mongolian cashmere is garbage.

Scottish cashmere sweaters should last at least 10 years. Mongolian cashmere sweaters start to pill after a few wearings, and certainly after a few washings.

Of course, you can pick up Chinese cashmere sweaters for under $100. Scottish cashmere sweaters from N. Peal, Ballantyne, etc. start at $400 to $500. (Four-ply is proabably closer to $1000.)

I have both. If I see something for $79 at an off-price store, I might pick it up knowing that it's only going to last a season.

Originally Posted by Essentio
Thanks, WildeMan! I really appreciate it, as I almost ordered a Mongolian cashmere item... your comment came just in time.

Originally Posted by OffTheRack
If you are interested in the environmental impact of your clothing, or sustainability, it might be worth noting that Mongolian and Chinese cashmere often comes from nomadic herders who have dramatically increased the size of their flocks of sheep that produce cashmere wool in recent years, which has contributed heavily to the desertification of the Mongolian and north western Chinese plains.

On the other hand, cashmere from Scotland or New Zealand tends to be produced by sheep herders who practice more sustainable herding methods.

Can somebody find me a picture of:

The BLIND leading the STUPID
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Such is the sound of class anxiety whispering on the wind.

Is that a mongolian saying?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Is that a mongolian saying?

Much like the sound of one hop sacking.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Much like the sound of one hop sacking.

"one hop sacking" - venerated mongolian poet of the 12th century.

wmb

Reaction score
Cashmere is originally from Kashmiri goats in the Himalayas, hence the name and by the way...they are located in Mongolia.

The Contrarian

Reaction score
This thread is Classic SF. People having no inhibitions on talking about things they have no idea about!

Really, this is a great place to learn alot from but I always get a kick out of how lack of knowledge slows so few people down here.

Continue!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.belisacashmere.com/

Cashmere is a rare, luxury fibre. It has a warmth, strength, and lightness unmatched by any other fibre. Australian cashmere is unique – its strength, lustre and length are different to that of Chinese and Iranian cashmere. Australian Cashmere is therefore probably the rarest luxury fibre in the world. Belisa Cashmere invites you to discover the beauty of Australian Cashmere.

Western New South Wales, mobs of feral goats have been collected for use as foundation does to build up the number of Angoras by crossing with purebred Angora bucks.

The surprise discovery was made by Dr Ian Smith, of the University of Sydney, while inspecting a small mob of these feral goats. He noticed that a number of these animals had undercoats of soft, fine fibre. Beneath their heavy outer coats. He took a fleece sample to Mr. Val Clark of the CSRIO in Sydney, who measured the 'down' and the hair.

The 'down' made up 87% ( by count) of the total fibre, had a mean diameter of 13.5 microns and measured about 6 cm in average length. This suggested that the down was cashmere. The hair fiber's where about 60 microns and 5.5 cm in length.

Pure cashmere for commercial purposes is obtained by separating the 'down' from the courser hair. Samples of pure Asiatic cashmere where compared with the local down. The diameter of the Asiatic Cashmere averaged from 14.3 to 22 micron and the length from 3.2 to 6.1 cm with which the newly discovered 'down' compared favorably.

The amazing discovery in 1973 among the feral goats of western New South Wales of animals bearing a surprisingly good coverage of cashmere beneath their otherwise uninteresting exterior coats of course hair, turned scientific and other eyes westward. There appears little record of 'kashmirs' being taken to Western New South Wales, but quite a number of mentions of small flocks being taken to Western Victoria. These flocks thrived only while their owners' interest held, or perhaps during the owners' lifetime etc....now read on.

http://cashdown.com.au/cashmere/Australian_Cashmere.php

Oleg

Reaction score
Scots cashmere has high blood pressure, a drink problem and'll chib ye, ya bams.

WildeMan

Reaction score
Oh boy, where to start?

I was the first to respond. The thread should have stopped there, when I had said all that needed to be said.

This thread would have been shorter if actually owning a cashmere sweater was a prerequisite to posting.

Full disclosure: I prefer Chateau Margaux to Tacama, Mercedes to Tata, Scottish cashmere to Mongolian, and Reagan to Obama. An outrage, yes. Apologies to all.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Contrarian
This thread is Classic SF. People having no inhibitions on talking about things they have no idea about! Really, this is a great place to learn alot from but I always get a kick out of how lack of knowledge slows so few people down here. Continue!
particularly when those opinions are stated with such conviction
laugh.gif
case in point:
Originally Posted by WildeMan
Oh boy, where to start? I was the first to respond. The thread should have stopped there, when I had said all that needed to be said. This thread would have been shorter if actually owning a cashmere sweater was a prerequisite to posting.
regarding Mongolian cashmere being garbage, have you ever seen a Loro Piana cashmere sweater?

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has experience with Indian Pashmina sweaters and scarves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads