1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's the deal with this guy in the bathroom? (Public Bathroom Etiquette)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

My guess is that the answer you are looking for...will be quite unsatisfying.

It's just some random OCD thing that doesn't make sense. Does OCD ever make sense?

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

in my place of work we have made the mistake of letting customers use our bathroom. not a good idea. piss on the floor, crap on the walls, tampons, pads and dirty diapers strewn about. no joke. be glad you dont have to deal with that.

anyhow, let us know when you get to the bottom of this pB

3. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I don't think it's traditional OCD (avoiding contamination). Putting the paper towel like that requires more contact (open door, exit, turn around, put paper in latch area with one hand, pull top of door with the other hand). It would be easier to just open the door and walk out without touching it again.

People have all kinds of sexual and psychological issues with scat and public places. During my college in a very small dorm (40 people), someone would repeatedly shit outside the commode. Meaning every fucking day there was a perfect double-tapered (to paraphrase George Brett) shit on the floor of the womens bathroom. Someone obviously got sexual pleasure thinking of how someone had to clean it up.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

As much as people are messed up like that I kind of have to find it interesting.

I just went into the bathroom and the message still stands six hours later.

I am just glad that I have Style Forvm to get me through this period of my life. I don't think I could manage alone.

5. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Shitty thread! Don't forget to tip the waitstaff.

6. otc

otc Senior member

I gave it a try...thought maybe it would be fun
    [​IMG]
    It wasn't entertaining enough to justify a daily regimen

7. patrickBOOTH

[​IMG] Ahhh! I was trying to rid the world of this behavior, not trend it! What have I done! [​IMG]

8. kraands

kraands Senior member

Next time put on the note "I'm watching you". Then secure a fake security camera in the corner of the bathroom.

9. insomb

insomb Senior member

is it possible it is the janitor signaling to another janitor/supervisor that the stall has been cleaned? solving the squeaky door is also possible. test the door and see if it squeaks. also possible he wants to know if anyone is germing up the latch he has to touch. also possible he is a sociopath and wiped his ass with the paper towel so that you have to touch it because he thinks that's funny.

10. patrickBOOTH

No, I've seen the janitors. The blue water is a sure sign. No squeaks. If a stall is out of order a proper sign is posted saying so.

[​IMG]

11. kraands

kraands Senior member

is it possible it is the janitor signaling to another janitor/supervisor that the stall has been cleaned? solving the squeaky door is also possible. test the door and see if it squeaks.

Nah, that's not as fun. [​IMG]

12. patrickBOOTH

There is one thing that this thread does not need, and that is [​IMG]

13. Usul

Usul Senior member

Did you ever see/read "A Scanner Darkly"? You must surveil yourself, the paperer is you.

14. patrickBOOTH

That movie was overrated. Waking Life was awesome.

Anyway, the message is still there like nine hours later. I wonder if it will stay overnight and be cleaned by the people who go in there at 6. All I know is I am going to get my hair cut at 5:30 and it is going to come out crooked as a neckpoint on a vintage A&S because I am shaking so badly on this.

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

holy fucking shit i just figured it out!!!

its you!!!

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

16. otc

otc Senior member

its now past 5:00 and nobody has dared touch the stall that I papered

17. Mr Pelican Pants

Mr Pelican Pants Well-Known Member

I gave it a try...thought maybe it would be fun
    [​IMG]
    It wasn't entertaining enough to justify a daily regimen

Judging by that weak-ass folding job, you're just not psycho enough for this gig. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. ysc

ysc Senior member

It would clearly tell him if it had been used in his absence - when the door is opened it will fall to the floor, most people probably do not pick it up from the floor, and certainly wouldn't replace it.
    How this benefits him, beyond some kind of fetish, I am not sure. Perhaps he only likes to use toilets he knows no one else has used and 'primes' several around the building every morning to guarantee he has a supply of un-violated cubicles for his use.
    Of course this presumes they are cleaned every night, or at least that there are enough cubicles to plausably get him through between cleanings.

In old spy novels the protagonist would often stick a single hair, using a bit of saliva, between the door and door frame of their hotel room when they go out for a bit of espionage. If the hair has fallen they would know if someone had been in their room. Perhaps he is a rather clumsy John Le Carre fan.

19. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Bathroom habits - one of the many reasons why I do not miss corporate America.

No it's not OK if you don't flush, blow your nose directly into the sink, and clip your toe nails at work leaving them on the floor for the janitor to sweep up.

20. Eason

Eason Senior member

I don't even understand how or why you would do that. Is there any advantage at all to putting paper there? When you open the door, it will fall down, right? And the paper can only be put in from outside...