• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats the deal with Sterlingwear peacoats

likeitaloud

Reaction score
I see people recommending them almost in every pea coat thread..What is so good about them? They are pretty cheap and their website looks like it was made by a high school freshman enrolled in computer class...And the picture on the front looks like a joke. Are they top quolity for the price you pay? Because obviously that counts over a fancy website.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's the best peacoat because its army surplus

indy116

Reaction score
I wasn't impressed with the one I got from them.

They're supposed to be budget priced yet decent quality. They hold the contract w/ the Navy for making peacoats, so there is the authenticity factor.

If you order, be prepared to wait and be prepared for terrible customer service.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I have to say this: I know everyone here raves about Sterlingwear, and I am all for an American company, and I live in Boston, so that is doubly good; BUT these pea coats are formless and shapeless and huge. I know you can have them tailored, but the sleeves look like they could hold my legs, and the collars look like they would dwarf your neck and head. I'm sure this is a quality product and it will keep you warm if you are sailing around Cape Horn (or wherever), but on a city street I just feel you can do much, much better.

I do not mean to offend anyone and I have a high regard for our military, but you do not neaed to wear something just because it is authentic. Everyone on this forum talks about fit, except, it seems, when they are talking about these particular coats. There I said it. Feel free to disagree. That is what America is all about.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I am waiting for Black Friday/post New Year sale to pull my trigger on the Polo Ralph Lauren Peacoat (or JCrew Peacoat).

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a women's navy surplus pea coat that fits very nicely. At first, I was waiting for people to call me out for wearing a women's coat, but no one ever did. in fact, I've gotten quite a few compliments regarding it. Nice and heavy, good quality, keeps me warm.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
I have a women's navy surplus pea coat that fits very nicely. At first, I was waiting for people to call me out for wearing a women's coat, but no one ever did. in fact, I've gotten quite a few compliments regarding it. Nice and heavy, good quality, keeps me warm.

do you wear it over your skirt and with high heels or knee-high boots?
laugh.gif

jcsprowls

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indy116
If you order, be prepared to wait and be prepared for terrible customer service.
Silly goose! Manufacturers are not Retailers. If you need customer service, you need to speak with a salesperson earning commish.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Personally I am waiting for Black Friday/post New Year sale to pull my trigger on the Polo Ralph Lauren Peacoat (or JCrew Peacoat).

You can get the first right now for 199 with the extra 30%.

lefty

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc

I got the Polo peacoat in charcoal last year and it's been great. It easily accommodates thick layers without looking boxy. Also, it isn't super warm on its own and thus perfect for early and late winter (i.e. all of November, early December, March and April in Maine). I've received a lot of compliments on it whereas my former peacoat (some no-name Swedish brand, Garwood?) received none.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indy116
I wasn't impressed with the one I got from them.

They're supposed to be budget priced yet decent quality. They hold the contract w/ the Navy for making peacoats, so there is the authenticity factor.

Not according to this post.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...75#post1426575

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads