• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the deal with jeans?

hchamp

Reaction score
As a middle-aged guy, I've never spent more than $50 on a pair of jeans and don't understand why younger guys are paying much more. What does $100+ get you that you don't get with a pair of 501s? Besides the cut.

And when you see a guy who is wearing jeans you'd never wear, do you look down on him (me)? And what exactly goes through your mind?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
What does $100+ get you that you don't get with a pair of 501s? Besides the cut.

dry selvage denim, hidden rivets, contrast stitching, cool points, extra cool points on SF, etc. etc.

robbie

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
As with any piece of clothing, the amount of money spent will either get you a certain amount of quality, a certain name, or both.

The jeans you see in a mall for over $100 will probably be pushing a name (7FAM, Diesel, True Religion, etc), hand treatment or distress, "feel" of denim, and cut.

The jeans you see on this forum for over $100-200 are pushing cut, unique denim (not all brands, but the buzzword here is selvage), special hardware (nicer buttons/rivets), and overall stronger workmanship. Not ALL jeans mentioned here are focused in every one of these aspects, but the more respected brands are.

Like with anything you really need to see a quality pair in person and live in it for a while to be able to understand the difference. Otherwise, it could look to you like icing on the cake when really it's the cake itself.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
As a middle-aged guy, I've never spent more than $50 on a pair of jeans and don't understand why younger guys are paying much more. What does $100+ get you that you don't get with a pair of 501s? Besides the cut.

And when you see a guy who is wearing jeans you'd never wear, do you look down on him (me)? And what exactly goes through your mind?

Just about everyone has a certain niche that they'll pay a larger amount of money that most people would, for the people on here it happens to be clothing; mostly jeans and shoes.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
We just happen to like jeans more than you. It doesn't make either of us less of a person.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
We get it robbie. You think that there is no reason to get anything other than a 501 stf and that most people are just trying to be elitists. Whodini said most everything i could've. It's just like with anything though. It's not all about pure utility. If so why buy anything but budget clothes, eat food purely for the nutrition, etc... Expensive jeans aren't just about cool points and "selvage".

I'm done with the thread though. I get tired of these "i don't really understand slim jeans/expensive jeans/raw jeans/non-bootcut jeans. Please convince me otherwise even though i already made up my opinion." threads.

Just size down 2. That's all anyone needs to know

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
We get it robbie. You think that there is no reason to get anything other than a 501 stf and that most people are just trying to be elitists.

my mention of cool points was meant in jest, not as a poke. I apologize.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does anyone pay $1000 on a RTW suit, or $800+ on RTW Lobbs or EGs? They look better, they fit better, often they feel better, etc.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
No burgers? http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...ml?rsrc=search http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._34421,00.html
drool.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Lol^^^

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
As with any piece of clothing, the amount of money spent will either get you a certain amount of quality, a certain name, or both.

The jeans you see in a mall for over $100 will probably be pushing a name (7FAM, Diesel, True Religion, etc), hand treatment or distress, "feel" of denim, and cut.

The jeans you see on this forum for over $100-200 are pushing cut, unique denim (not all brands, but the buzzword here is selvage), special hardware (nicer buttons/rivets), and overall stronger workmanship. Not ALL jeans mentioned here are focused in every one of these aspects, but the more respected brands are.

Like with anything you really need to see a quality pair in person and live in it for a while to be able to understand the difference. Otherwise, it could look to you like icing on the cake when really it's the cake itself.

Interesting. I assume the $100-200 pairs are all RTW, so when you say "cut" does that mean certain makes are known for their distinctive cuts? And what are the differences between the selvage denim used in these jeans and 501s, especially as far as how well they take the dye, how quickly they fade, their feel and wear?

And if I wanted a fairly narrow, straight fit, dark wash pair that would go well with dress shoes, what would you recommend? Would any of the mall brands work? Or would I have to up the ante?

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
The jeans you see on this forum for over $100-200 are pushing cut, unique denim (not all brands, but the buzzword here is selvage), special hardware (nicer buttons/rivets), and overall stronger workmanship.

Does "stronger workmanship" mean these jeans are largely handmade? What kind of "stronger workmanship" do you get for $200? And what can you expect from the mall jeans?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads