• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the deal with "Harris" brand shoes?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea they are. I checked them out in Barney's yesterday, while looking for some C&J, which they were positioned right next to. The quality as compared to C&J was indistinguishable. I just think you were surprised because no one talk about them here on the forum.

daniele6

Reaction score
A shop 200 meters from my house sells Harris shoes from 210 to 260 euro. They are produced in Firenze. The sales begin Jan. 6th.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foxx, Here's a link to a completed auction of Harris shoes held by A Harris of this forum, in which Andrew says the the Barneys price is $595 and provides other information. Other sellers for completed auctions also mention a similar price. The shoes Andrew Harris sold have the same inscriptions on the insole and on the sole as the shoes you are considering. Seems like there's truth in this. SAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63850&item=5348699245&rd=1

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harris shoes were discussed on the forum here. I went to Marshalls near South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, and they carried quite a few Harris brown wingtips for $150. I wasn't impressed at all...but what do I know?

armscye

Reaction score
Given the foregoing threads, let me recommend a surefire business strategy. The A. Harris auctioned shoes were (somewhat controversially) bought at Marshalls for $150 or less, then held for resale. Maybe you could wait for his next auction, buy a pair for $450, wait a month or two, and auction them for $1350. In turn, the next buyer could flip them for $4050. Mathematically, within a year this single pair of shoes, thoughtfully marketed, could comprise up to a third of the US gross national product, and singlehandedly usher in a new era of prosperity.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
armscye, I still don't understand why you're so bitter about ebay resellers making a profit. I (usually) live in Germany and don't have access to Calzoleria Harris shoes, let alone at discount. Buying off ebay allows me to indulge a little bit in my appreciation for fine clothing. I would expect whoever is selling to me to make a profit, otherwise why would they bother? It's still cheaper for me than going to Barney's.

That being said, since I'm home for the holidays, I stopped in my local Marshalls, where they were selling those brown wingtips for $100. Open lacing, goodyear welted but stitched aloft. The brogueing was tasteful, would make a nice slightly casual shoe. Since I don't know how such a shoe would sell on ebay, I didn't bother buying them to flip.

Tom

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Given the foregoing threads, let me recommend a surefire business strategy. The A. Harris auctioned shoes were (somewhat controversially) bought at Marshalls for $150 or less, then held for resale. Maybe you could wait for his next auction, buy a pair for $450, wait a month or two, and auction them for $1350. In turn, the next buyer could flip them for $4050. Mathematically, within a year this single pair of shoes, thoughtfully marketed, could comprise up to a third of the US gross national product, and singlehandedly usher in a new era of prosperity.
First, this makes absolutely no sense, whether it's meant as irony, humour, seriously, whatever... Secondly, Chocoball, who is the one who started the thread (below) ended up buying the shoes in question from me, and was very satisfied with them. So you managed both to prove yourself wrong, and to bring me business. I suppose I should be thanking you... http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....9;st=20

mano

Reaction score
armscye

The "controversy" you mention is all in your head.  You were the lone voice who objected to an honest seller making a profit off a terrific shoe by offering it for about 75% off retail on eBay.

For any of you who wish to reply further to his negative comments, please keep in mind that to do so only encourages him. In other words, Please Don't Feed the Trolls.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by Barneys this morning in Beverly Hills and inspected the Harris shoes.  The Harris shoes I saw there were much more elegant than those I saw at Marshalls.  All the Harris shoes at Barneys retailed for considerably less than $500...they seemed to hover around $425-450.  Further, the soles were either blank, or had the etched writing in them WITHOUT the large "H" engraved (if anything, the "H" was written on the sole, but not etched into the sole).

I also have a question about the construction.  Of the soles that weren't channeled, the stitching at the bottom would seem to indicated they were Goodyear welted.  However, if you look on the inside of the shoe, you could see a row of stitching around the toe box, which would seem to indicate they were Blake-stitched.  Any idea why both seams would be present?

edit: another difference that i forgot to mention was that the soles at Barneys had brass tacks, whereas I don't recall any tacks on the Marshalls Harris'.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Italian cobblers use a hybrid combo of Goodyear/Blake stitching which I'm sure someone more versed can speak to here than I.

koji

chocoball

Reaction score
I have to put in a good word for A Harris.....those shoes were exactly what I wanted.....and from a maker - Calzoleria Harris - whose products aren't usually available in Hong Kong. So what's the big deal about these guys making some money on ebay???

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once again, based on my own experience, both the pricing and quality of the A Harris goods are outstanding for an EBay seller. I'm certainly not alone in this view among forum members based on previous posts.

I am not associated with A Harris and this post is unsolicited.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads