• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the Deal With Gilt Groupe Sales?

GQBaller

Reaction score
I logged on to site today at noon hoping I would be able to get a Ralph Lauren Black Label suit.

However, most of them were already sold out (at least in size 40).

Is there a pre-sale of some sort where select customers get first pick? Or do people use bots like on eBay?

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They have very limited stock, and stuff goes very fast.

jmix1

Reaction score
The RLPL sale started at 9AM EST today. Unless you're on the west coast like me, noon was too late. I forgot about the sale and didn't check it out until about noon. I'm also a 40R so I feel your pain.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmix1
The RLPL sale started at 9AM EST today. Unless you're on the west coast like me, noon was too late. I forgot about the sale and didn't check it out until about noon. I'm also a 40R so I feel your pain.

RLPL?There is black label sale going on,I didn't see any purple label stuff unless i am missing smth.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was able to get a 40R suit (I hope it fits). I was surprised that the sale started about 20 seconds before noon. I wasn't able to get any of the 15.5 dress shirts though.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with sales racks? I show up and the exact stuff I want in my exact size isn't there sometimes. WTF!?!?!?!

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GiltGroupe
Our business model is buying excess and aged inventory to sell at a discount...if items in "good sizes" were offered to use you could rest assured that we'd purchase them.

Also, as has been stated many times before, the GG member base is much, much larger than SF.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
Also, as has been stated many times before, the GG member base is much, much larger than SF.

You mean there are others outside of SF that like clothes?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
In defense of Gilt let me just say this. There's only one or two of any particular item in any one size. Let say 3 at the most.

Now let say there are generously speaking about 10,000 members. They been around awhile so I would say that is a safe estimate.

Let say any particular sale 2000 of these members are looking forward to the sale.

Let say out of these 2000, there are 100 who like the specific item you want in your size.

Let say out of those 100, 30 are like you, waiting with the timer, refreshing constantly to see the sale go up exactly at that moment and speed along the aisle to virtual dump that shirt or jacket into their cart.

Now perhaps all 30 of you simultaneously grab that item, somethings got to give, and 3 will be lucky, and 27 will see that the item 'mysteriously" already was in someone else's cart.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
In defense of Gilt let me just say this. There's only one or two of any particular item in any one size. Let say 3 at the most. Now let say there are generously speaking about 10,000 members. They been around awhile so I would say that is a safe estimate. Let say any particular sale 2000 of these members are looking forward to the sale. Let say out of these 2000, there are 100 who like the specific item you want in your size. Let say out of those 100, 30 are like you, waiting with the timer, refreshing constantly to see the sale go up exactly at that moment and speed along the aisle to virtual dump that shirt or jacket into their cart. Now perhaps all 30 of you simultaneously grab that item, somethings got to give, and 3 will be lucky, and 27 will see that the item 'mysteriously" already was in someone else's cart.
this is a great way to put it, and along the same lines as my thinking. it's still frustrating as hell though
laugh.gif
anyway, the way i see it - i have two ways to get killer deals on stuff: i can either sift through endless racks of discount or thrift stuff in hopes of finding an overlooked piece, or i can park myself in front of a supply channel (Gilt or B&S) where the great deals are sure to appear, but of course everyone is in the same place waiting for the same opportunity. i have gotten my stuff both ways, and it's frustrating in different ways. but the thrill of the score is just as good either way as well

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some of their stuff is unjustifiably expensive yet everything seems out of stock.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
Some of their stuff is unjustifiably expensive yet everything seems out of stock.

"unjustifiably expensive"? Items are on a discount right? If it's not "enough" discount for you, you can always move on. "Unjustifiable"...Gilt's business model justifies it. Apparently, they should not be making money right?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For someone living in the boondocks, these prices sure beat flying to a city in hopes of finding a sale. Geeze, people, like teddieriley said, move on if you don't see anything to your "satisfaction".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads