1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's the Deal With Gilt Groupe Sales?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQBaller, Feb 17, 2009.

1. GQBaller

GQBaller Senior member

I logged on to site today at noon hoping I would be able to get a Ralph Lauren Black Label suit.

However, most of them were already sold out (at least in size 40).

Is there a pre-sale of some sort where select customers get first pick? Or do people use bots like on eBay?

2. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

They have very limited stock, and stuff goes very fast.

3. jmix1

jmix1 Senior member

The RLPL sale started at 9AM EST today. Unless you're on the west coast like me, noon was too late. I forgot about the sale and didn't check it out until about noon. I'm also a 40R so I feel your pain.

4. forex

forex Senior member

The RLPL sale started at 9AM EST today. Unless you're on the west coast like me, noon was too late. I forgot about the sale and didn't check it out until about noon. I'm also a 40R so I feel your pain.

RLPL?There is black label sale going on,I didn't see any purple label stuff unless i am missing smth.

5. jmix1

jmix1 Senior member

You're right. Black label.

6. btinl

btinl Senior member

I was able to get a 40R suit (I hope it fits). I was surprised that the sale started about 20 seconds before noon. I wasn't able to get any of the 15.5 dress shirts though.

7. Lel

Lel Senior member

What's the deal with sales racks? I show up and the exact stuff I want in my exact size isn't there sometimes. WTF!?!?!?!

8. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

Our business model is buying excess and aged inventory to sell at a discount...if items in "good sizes" were offered to use you could rest assured that we'd purchase them.

Also, as has been stated many times before, the GG member base is much, much larger than SF.

9. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Also, as has been stated many times before, the GG member base is much, much larger than SF.

You mean there are others outside of SF that like clothes?

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

In defense of Gilt let me just say this. There's only one or two of any particular item in any one size. Let say 3 at the most.

Now let say there are generously speaking about 10,000 members. They been around awhile so I would say that is a safe estimate.

Let say any particular sale 2000 of these members are looking forward to the sale.

Let say out of these 2000, there are 100 who like the specific item you want in your size.

Let say out of those 100, 30 are like you, waiting with the timer, refreshing constantly to see the sale go up exactly at that moment and speed along the aisle to virtual dump that shirt or jacket into their cart.

Now perhaps all 30 of you simultaneously grab that item, somethings got to give, and 3 will be lucky, and 27 will see that the item 'mysteriously" already was in someone else's cart.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

In defense of Gilt let me just say this. There's only one or two of any particular item in any one size. Let say 3 at the most. Now let say there are generously speaking about 10,000 members. They been around awhile so I would say that is a safe estimate. Let say any particular sale 2000 of these members are looking forward to the sale. Let say out of these 2000, there are 100 who like the specific item you want in your size. Let say out of those 100, 30 are like you, waiting with the timer, refreshing constantly to see the sale go up exactly at that moment and speed along the aisle to virtual dump that shirt or jacket into their cart. Now perhaps all 30 of you simultaneously grab that item, somethings got to give, and 3 will be lucky, and 27 will see that the item 'mysteriously" already was in someone else's cart.
    this is a great way to put it, and along the same lines as my thinking. it's still frustrating as hell though [​IMG] anyway, the way i see it - i have two ways to get killer deals on stuff: i can either sift through endless racks of discount or thrift stuff in hopes of finding an overlooked piece, or i can park myself in front of a supply channel (Gilt or B&S) where the great deals are sure to appear, but of course everyone is in the same place waiting for the same opportunity. i have gotten my stuff both ways, and it's frustrating in different ways. but the thrill of the score is just as good either way as well

12. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

Some of their stuff is unjustifiably expensive yet everything seems out of stock.

13. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Some of their stuff is unjustifiably expensive yet everything seems out of stock.

"unjustifiably expensive"? Items are on a discount right? If it's not "enough" discount for you, you can always move on. "Unjustifiable"...Gilt's business model justifies it. Apparently, they should not be making money right?

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i think what he means is in comparison to the recession-induced pricing you see nowadays. i still think though Gilt has a competitive sale price for most regular times. and you cant find all of these things in stores anyways.

15. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

For someone living in the boondocks, these prices sure beat flying to a city in hopes of finding a sale. Geeze, people, like teddieriley said, move on if you don't see anything to your "satisfaction".

16. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

"unjustifiably expensive"? Items are on a discount right? If it's not "enough" discount for you, you can always move on. "Unjustifiable"...Gilt's business model justifies it. Apparently, they should not be making money right?
    i think what he means is in comparison to the recession-induced pricing you see nowadays. i still think though Gilt has a competitive sale price for most regular times. and you cant find all of these things in stores anyways.
    I just think we've gotten too spoiled by the "fire sale/bargain basement/fell off a truck/90% off or NOTHING" sort of mentality we often have around here. Gilt's pricing for items is very good, very competitive, and for people who don't live near large closeout stores like Last Call, Off Fifth, better Marshall's, etc., a very good deal, from what I've seen.

17. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

Not everything is on sale. Some of the wool RLBL suits they are selling now is more than the full retail prices at places like Harvey Nichols.

18. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

$700 for a black label suit, including a couple of solids on there, is an amazing price, especially in an assortment of sizes. They could easily have priced them $200 more and still sold them.

19. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Not everything is on sale. Some of the wool RLBL suits they are selling now is more than the full retail prices at places like Harvey Nichols.

unclear.
    you mean the gilt price is more than the full retail price of the same items at places like harvey nicols

or
    you mean the gilt price is on a good discount, and the harvey nichols is selling them at full retail?

20. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

PocketCircle: I see suits on there priced $598 to $700 or thereabouts (though they are now sold out). How is that not on sale for a $1700-2000 suit?