1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's the deal with Armani suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dernier_cri, May 24, 2011.

1. dernier_cri

dernier_cri Member

I know that people here might have wildly varying opinions on Armani Collezioni. What is the fit like? Should I take the plunge on a new one for $600? Is it worth $600? I know it certainly isn't worth the $1800 price tag of retail. Thanks.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think $600 for Black Label is a good deal.

3. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

I just havent found one that fit me the way I like. Seems the lapel notch is always lower than i prefer.

4. dernier_cri

dernier_cri Member

I think $600 for Black Label is a good deal.

Is black label the same as Collezioni?

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Giorgio Armani Black Label (GA BL) is the best Armani has to offer. I personally do not like fit or styling of the typical GA BL suit, but they are well made with nice fabrics and usually (but not always) have a full canvassed construction. I also notice they are still constructed with many of the "hand-made" features one usually associates or takes for granted with the Napoli based tailors, or even Brioni or Kiton. GA BL are good suits for those that like their look or prefer ventless backs (many GA suits are ventless, although you can pick up single or double vents occasionally). Were I interested in the GA BL suit, I would consider anything under $1000 to be a pretty good deal. However, with my eyes on other suit manufacturers, I would not purchase a GA BL for even $200, I simply do not like them well enough to put them on my radar.

As for Armani Collezioni, half canvassed typical, better cut than GA BL in my book, but worse quality of course. I would not bother spending $600 on it, if you can get it for $400, power to you, go for it. For $600, you would much prefer other brands like Canali, Isaia, Ralph Lauren Black Label etc - it depends on how well you like the fit and cut of other suits.

Armani Collezioni is not Giorgio Armani Black Label - quite different in fact.

6. razl

razl Senior member

I'll add one other point: I love the fuller/straight cut of Armani Collezioni trousers, and have found over time that Armani experiments wildly with alternative and man made materials like polyester. In general, I'm just not interested unless it's 90%+ wool (preferring 98% or 100%). If I were you, I'd keep an eye on the materials of the suits so you're not surprised post purchase to find that you got a 50/25/25 polyester/viscose/rayon modern novelty.

7. DC Attorney

DC Attorney Member

No deal - they suck at any price!

8. TomAlso

TomAlso Active Member

No deal - they suck at any price!

Guess you know something that the rest of us don't.

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I'll add one other point: I love the fuller/straight cut of Armani Collezioni trousers.

Me too! I largely avoid the fashion brands, but these trousers fit pretty dang well and the quality is quite passable. Good overall pants, I purchase several pairs at once if I pass an Armani outlet. I would not spend full retail on them though, but at $100 a pair on some sales, I like I like [​IMG]

10. Icehawk

Icehawk Senior member

I have an AC tuxedo and love it - their jackets are one of the few that fit me perfectly OTR so quality and SF approval take a back seat. The average person will think it is very nice too.

I saw a great AC linen SC recently at Nordstrom's and was glad they didn't have my size in stock... I would have considered full price.

11. mjphillips

mjphillips Senior member

For $600, you would much prefer other brands like Canali, Isaia, Ralph Lauren Black Label etc - it depends on how well you like the fit and cut of other suits.

Could you tell us where one can find Isaia or RLBL for $600 new?

12. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

B&S, Ebay. Even bluefly or Yoox (sometimes).

13. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

B&S, Ebay. Even bluefly or Yoox (sometimes).
    ^this

14. boltzmann

boltzmann Member

Giorgio Armani Black Label (GA BL) is the best Armani has to offer. I personally do not like fit or styling of the typical GA BL suit, but they are well made with nice fabrics and usually (but not always) have a full canvassed construction. I also notice they are still constructed with many of the "hand-made" features one usually associates or takes for granted with the Napoli based tailors, or even Brioni or Kiton. GA BL are good suits for those that like their look or prefer ventless backs (many GA suits are ventless, although you can pick up single or double vents occasionally). Were I interested in the GA BL suit, I would consider anything under $1000 to be a pretty good deal. However, with my eyes on other suit manufacturers, I would not purchase a GA BL for even $200, I simply do not like them well enough to put them on my radar.

As for Armani Collezioni, half canvassed typical, better cut than GA BL in my book, but worse quality of course. I would not bother spending $600 on it, if you can get it for $400, power to you, go for it. For $600, you would much prefer other brands like Canali, Isaia, Ralph Lauren Black Label etc - it depends on how well you like the fit and cut of other suits.

Armani Collezioni is not Giorgio Armani Black Label - quite different in fact.

How much would you pay for a Paul Smith NWT?

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I have no idea - I know nothing about them.

16. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

I love Paul Smith suits. Their style fit me really well. In fact, they fit me as well as Dior suits and Ralph Lauren Black Lebel suits. Personally, the quality of these three suits are similar as they are priced almost identical.

17. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I know that people here might have wildly varying opinions on Armani Collezioni. What is the fit like? Should I take the plunge on a new one for $600? Is it worth $600? I know it certainly isn't worth the $1800 price tag of retail. Thanks.

At $600, absolutely worth it. Buy one! I own 2 Armani Collezioni suits myself and enjoy them both.

18. razl

razl Senior member

Me too! I largely avoid the fashion brands, but these trousers fit pretty dang well and the quality is quite passable. Good overall pants, I purchase several pairs at once if I pass an Armani outlet. I would not spend full retail on them though, but at $100 a pair on some sales, I like I like [​IMG]

Oh, so you're the one who's always snagging them out from under me? [​IMG]

I saw one pair at NM that I absolutely loved but were ridiculously priced at almost $400. They didn't have them in my size and I'm still hunting for them to this day (1.5 years later!). The material was just -fantastic- ! At this point, they've achieved such a grail state in my mind, I'd probably pay full price, certainly I've wasted enough time looking to make it worth ponying up the cash [​IMG]

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love Paul Smith suits. Their style fit me really well. In fact, they fit me as well as Dior suits and Ralph Lauren Black Lebel suits. Personally, the quality of these three suits are similar as they are priced almost identical.

The quality of them varies wildly. I have seen garbage from Paul Smith. It depends on their price point. The suits that are made well are way more than RLBL. Dior is fairly well made considering it is a designer brand, however they are priced more than RLBL.

20. USAF - 1

USAF - 1 Member

I have about five AC suits and one Armani BL. Certainly the AC are not the best suits out there, but they fit me quite well, so if it fits you should consider them. However, I would really not pay more than $550 for one. I've gotten all of mine NWT for $550 or less on eBay. I do have two RL Black Label that I've paid $430 and $600 for NWT and they are better quality, so I'd shop around.

Make sure it is wool too, AC can be polyester or other synthetics. I've seen them, and they are not good.