• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the big deal about Gianni Agnelli?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ivar

Reaction score
I sort of agree, if we're talking about all his gimmicks. But I somehow find that a bit unfair, since my main reason for disliking them is the way they were co-opted and turned into prepackaged quirks for the internet generation. Maybe we do his style more justice if we judge it hermeneutically, i.e. from the vantage point of his day and age?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I sort of agree, if we're talking about all his gimmicks. But I somehow find that a bit unfair, since my main reason for disliking them is the way they were co-opted and turned into prepackaged quirks for the internet generation. Maybe we do his style more justice if we judge it hermeneutically, i.e. from the vantage point of his day and age?

+1

Everything thats wrong with #menswear

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many stylish men have bizarre quirks. Adopting those quirks for oneself does not make one stylish.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Many stylish men have bizarre quirks. Adopting those quirks for oneself does not make one stylish.

Spot on Mr Grant.

And JRD too. Agnelli has a lot to answer for if he was indeed the inspiration for all this gimmickry that I detest!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are missing the point. The last paragraph is the best part of the article.

But nobody gets it—nobody. It's not the clothes. It's the character, the way. You can be inspired by him, but you have to do it by finding your own style. It's not only the beauty of putting the watch over the shirt; it's something unique, the elegance in his mind. To be a man of elegance, you should be interested in everything: art, design, cars, sports—all things that express beauty. The few times I've seen a person with the watch outside the shirt, it has, to me, looked ridiculous. Because you know it's a person doing a copy. And the person doing a copy is almost always the wrong person."

G

Griffindork

Holy ****. What happened to all the serious style knowledge on this board? Do a google image search for Gianni Agnelli. Try to focus on the images in total. If some of them show a wristwatch outside of his cuff, try to think about it in the context of all those images of him in various garments over th course of 80 years of his life. If you want to focus on things that are wrong, you can look at many, many image-based threads on this site.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

True story - Gianni Agnelli once said, at a Fiat board meeting: "One day, I will become hashtag menswear.".

And thus, a watch over a cuff was born.

Was he unbuttoning his collar buttons as he said that?:happy:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The man was a master of assigning symbols to his personal brand.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The name sounds like a supermarket or department store house brand, like a sort of semi knock-off. Gianni Versace vs Gianni Agnelli. What I see all the time in the UFOs thread, i.e. how many cousins does Giorgio Armani have? LOL If you don't know your brands, you won't know the difference.

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Italian everything sounds like you can eat it when you say cassonetto stupro you might think its a special pasta but in fact it means dumpster ****.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The name sounds like a supermarket or department store house brand, like a sort of semi knock-off. Gianni Versace vs Gianni Agnelli. What I see all the time in the UFOs thread, i.e. how many cousins does Giorgio Armani have? LOL If you don't know your brands, you won't know the difference.

This is trolling right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads