• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the best steak to order at a restaurant?

TheApple

Reaction score
Im usually only ordered PrimeRib and it is always good. I tell myself I will explore, but that never works out. In terms of taste, and cut. What is the best type of steak to order? Is it the NY Strip Steak?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Overall I'd say the "best" steak is rib eye, in terms of flavor and tenderness etc. But it entirely depends on the restaurant. Lots of restaurants, even "good" steak places will ruin any steak you hand them. Personally, I usually end up buying sirloins, ribeyes or flank steaks (for multiple people) for grilling at home, and almost never order steaks in restaraunts anymore. I've been disappointed too many times and the cost isn't worth the risk.

larryr

Reaction score
The Ribeye is usually the best cut of meat. Ask your server, they should be able to tell you.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
What? you don't like 4oz cuts?

laugh.gif

The best part about filet mignon at most restaurants is the bacon.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During college I waited tables at a very good steak house and conventional wisdom there was that true steak lovers eat rib eye or porterhouse, rare or medium rare. After trying every steak on the menu a number of times, I came to agree with this pronouncement.

at home we buy rib eye, porterhouse, flank, and sirloin flap (marinated). Also, nothing wrong with a good, well-marbled chuck steak on the grill.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Hell no

So what's your choice? I'm a filet guy at most top end steak places (no bacon in sight). What should I be ordering instead?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
So what's your choice? I'm a filet guy at most top end steak places (no bacon in sight). What should I be ordering instead?

Changes from place to place. I generally don't order steak, though. I think that nicer restaurants do a lot more interesting food than the steak w/ sauce, starch, and veg standby. That said, for myself, I buy ribeye and sirloin. If I'm cooking for multiple people, I'll get a whole flank steak. If I go somewhere and there's Wagyu or Kobe, I'll order it regardless of cut. I had a kobe skirt once that was out of this world. Perfectly cooked, great accompaniments, great wine pairing, it was just a really great dish. After eating there, I applied for a job and am currently working there three nights a week
smile.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
see, i like filet at restaurants cause i'm perfectly happy with any bone-in steak that i grill myself.

Hell no

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Changes from place to place. I generally don't order steak, though. I think that nicer restaurants do a lot more interesting food than the steak w/ sauce, starch, and veg standby. That said, for myself, I buy ribeye and sirloin. If I'm cooking for multiple people, I'll get a whole flank steak. If I go somewhere and there's Wagyu or Kobe, I'll order it regardless of cut. I had a kobe skirt once that was out of this world. Perfectly cooked, great accompaniments, great wine pairing, it was just a really great dish. After eating there, I applied for a job and am currently working there three nights a week
smile.gif

I know. I've been reading the thread. Haven't been to Chicago in years, but if I get up there sometime I'm hoping you'll PM me the restaurant so I can try it out.
smile.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Porterhouse or ribeye are my cuts of choice for a steak house. I can finish a decent size ribeye by myself, but not a thick porterhouse, which is why I usually order a ribeye, or a NY strip if they don't have porterhouse.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I know. I've been reading the thread. Haven't been to Chicago in years, but if I get up there sometime I'm hoping you'll PM me the restaurant so I can try it out.
smile.gif

Definitely!
cheers.gif

I'll even make sure you get a free amuse.

rimshot.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads