• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

whats the best handbag i can buy my girl for xmas this year?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might have better luck asking this on some of the purse forums. I'm not trying to be snarky, but just saying that a bunch of guys talking about suits probably won't know what's the best or nicest handbag to buy for your girlfriend.

That being said, the ones you listed run the gamut in terms of brand and pricing. Chanel is always a classic, but look to spend $1800-3000 for a nice one. LV, depending on the "line," can run anywhere from $800 and up. Hermes is going to be your priciest... you really can't get much at Hermes worthwhile in the handbag department for less than a few grand. Bottega, too, is nice but probably $1500 or more.

Some other brands you might consider, depending on your girlfriend's style, might be Lambertson Truex, Chloe, Balenciaga, YSL, Valentino, etc.

Siggy

Reaction score
Those prices are ridiculous.

I'd say the best handbag would be what she wants...if she really wants one of those money bags.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd never buy my wife a handbag. Just like she'd never buy me a wallet... unless either told the other EXACTLY what we wanted. That's the sort of item that's very personal.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Cary here. In addition I think that trends here run contrary to what most women want. SF gravitates towards exclusiveness, whereas I think most women want something that is expensive, but other people will know is expensive too. In other words women seem to love* conpicuous branding...ugh.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I've thought about getting my wife a purse, but anytime I point one out to her she never likes it. I've decided I'm not capable of picking one out. Either take her shopping or give her a gift card.

Cornellian

Reaction score

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A handbag full of dollar bills? Or diamonds?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
that would be perfect if it was in NY and not SF

As others have mentioned, buying a handbag is a tough and personal thing to do. My advice, if you are in NYC, is just to make a whole "day" of it. Take her to Bergdorfs, to the main Saks store, to barneys and let her look around and pick the one she likes. Take her to a nice lunch and just enjoy being together.

That would make a whole lot more sense than taking a chance on a $1000+ handbag that she might not even like.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AvariceBespoke, she will only be happy with Hermes. It's what she told me last night.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40