• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats the best hairproduct?

dom999

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
He's using a combination of things, hairspray is one of them.

Somewhat similar cut, but look at the application of product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9YWQ...eature=related

hm maybe a similar cut, but a totally different style. i dont want to spike it up, more like to mess it up in the front - problem for me is the poor hold. i would hate to use hairspray, since it makes the hair totally crunchy, so im looking for a more flexible product with enough hold. the clay advices are good, def. gonna buy some stuff, i will read some reviews on amazon.com about different products.

oh and that guy is using wayyy to much product, that look is never gonna last more than 4-5 hours, it will go flat ^^

@pseudonym

yeah im gonna look into that gatsby stuff too, but those classic pomades are too heavy most of the times and way harder to wash out.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'm not gonna lie; the classic pomades (e.g. Murrays) are definitely a pain ********** to wash out.

But the thing is, if you were once like me, that is, you use product everyday, you really want to try out the more classic pomades like Murrays.

I'll give you an example; I started off with easily washed out pomades (e.g. Layrite). After using it everyday, I went through a tub really quickly, and it's definitely not easy on the wallet.

I now use a combo of Murrays and Layrite. Murrays, which is a ***** to get out, is easier on my (college student) budget, and I rarely have to go through the trouble of having to apply pomade each morning.

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score
The best hair products must be styling wax. Keeps your hair looking natural while providing hold.

dom999

Reaction score
styling wax is a really general definition, anyone in particular?

here, i added another pic of the intended style

airblaster503

Reaction score
go to bumble and bumbles website, look through their photos and see the products they use. Most likely though to get something like this you are going to need the styling gel or hair thickening spray and then wax

joneeron

Reaction score
I could send in Norway, if you do not find in options. I think you will find lower prices online, however. Check the total cost, and keep me updated. I think you'll find worth the high price because it is relatively inexpensive.

mactilden

Reaction score
There are several hair product are available in the market it can be derives with so many things which is great and cool to know about it. It can be derived so many things which is really very cool and great to know about it.

pkiula

Reaction score
I've been fairly exploratory through my entire 20s and tried everything from crap like Clarins/Clinique to usuals like Pantene etc to the more spa-friendly Kerastase or Schwatzkopf or RedKen..

Have finally settled for Aveda and American Crew.

Everyone to whom I recommend these two brands is an instant convert and remembers me for it. Their products are natural, especially Aveda, and without too much gunk that does things on your scalp without you knowing before its too late.

• Both are available online regardless of where in the world you are, which helps a lot.
  • Both have entire ranges of hair products from shampoos/scalpcare to pomades.
  • Both are spa-grade but much less expensive (and practical) than Schwatzkopf etc.

Note: Pls stay away from convenience store dribble like Gatsby. Any hair product that leaves dry smatter in your hair is clearly low-grade. No decent pomade from Aveda or ACrew or Redken etc will leave anything in your hair.

dom999

Reaction score
so that basically means, the only stuff i could get are these (if i go for clay):

http://www.hagelshop.de/Suche/clay.htm

any one of those really good? i definitly need a good hold. (aveda is not available in germany & import price to high)

wsanford-shanghai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
^ I'm not gonna lie; the classic pomades (e.g. Murrays) are definitely a pain ********** to wash out.

I've used a variety of pomade/clay/wax and I've always dislike the left in feeling of product. Washing it out feels like its pulling out my hair.

I read online to first wash with conditioner, then shampoo, then conditioner. While this works "ok", it REALLY uses up the conditioner fast.

Recently, I had a friend tell me to first used a bit of baby powder and work it in to the hair when its dry. Then start with shampoo and water a little at a time. Once the shampoo has worked its way in and cleaned out the product/baby powder, go full on shampoo lather/shower. Follow up with some conditioner.

fathergll

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dom999

but none of these give me enough hold for the desired look.

D:fi Extreme Hold

I guarantee you this will give you enough hold. Much better hold that American Crew Fiber. Not as natural looking but you can do anything with it even if the hair is completely dry. Best stuff I know of if your trying to get dry hair to do anything.

Im using it now but Ill probably go back to my old method which gives me more of a 'gel look'. Just get out of the shower without drying my hair, push back my hair and style it to a faux hawk and spy with Aussie instant freeze. Thats the proven method and ive gotten **** load of complaints from girls over the years. I guess I pull off the gel look better than the real natural dry look.

I have to experiment with the D:fi Extreme Hold and wet hair to see if ill keep it.

31NSvTJPJGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

dom999

Reaction score
okay i just ordered the d:fi stuff, i hope ur right.

i probably only bought it because im a little drunk, haven slept in 30 hours and iam totally annoyed. just one of these days...

got it for 10€ (13$) with free shipping, so not that expensive (about the same as fiber etc.)

If that doesnt work, im gonna go for gatsby hard clay, hard wax & matt grunge (yes, all 3 of them! ebay ftw)

man iam bored. now im gonna watch the cape & right after that die hard 3
spam[1].gif

thank you, thanks to anyone in this thread.

nakokoro

Reaction score
regarding gatsby, where do you guys buy yours? i've only seen it at asian supermarkets (Ranch 99 in bay area) and amazon.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have straight hair gastby (the black one) will work fine but if your hair has a bit of a curl to it like mine then it's not strong enough.

nakokoro: since your from sf gatbsy should be really easy to find. Pretty much every asian supermarket carries them and they sell them all over the place in Japantown.

Ben85

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fathergll

D:fi Extreme Hold

I guarantee you this will give you enough hold. Much better hold that American Crew Fiber. Not as natural looking but you can do anything with it even if the hair is completely dry. Best stuff I know of if your trying to get dry hair to do anything.

Im using it now but Ill probably go back to my old method which gives me more of a 'gel look'. Just get out of the shower without drying my hair, push back my hair and style it to a faux hawk and spy with Aussie instant freeze. Thats the proven method and ive gotten **** load of complaints from girls over the years. I guess I pull off the gel look better than the real natural dry look.

I do that sometimes too, not the faux hawk, but style my wet hair and use hairspray to hold it.

For wax I use Garnier Fructis. I towel dry my hair fairly dry and then rub it in, works well.
3091676_1_Garnier_Fructis_Style_Wax.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads