• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing my nubucks today for the first time and the left boot is a half size too big while the right fits perfectly. Probably should have tried on both boots when they came, versus just throwing them into the closet. I hope the brown boots aren't the same.

Is it marked 1/2 size too big or are your feet different sizes?

My left foot is slightly smaller than my right.

Both marked the same, just different sizes.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(604) 253-6671 that`s the local number if your really desperate.

They will definitely answer that number, I've called many times.

binauralbeats

Reaction score
I called that number nearly a dozen times back in August and they never answered once. Not only that, but I couldn't leave a message because they never setup their voicemail.

If anyone is interested I have a pair of 7.5E in oiled black that I'm putting on B&S soon. There is an area on the right boot, outside heel where dayton did some pretty ugly stitch work. Other than that, they look fine.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, at least the website is back up and running. Are there any better alternatives to the Daytons?

blynch

Reaction score

Well, at least the website is back up and running. Are there any better alternatives to the Daytons?

f+b 745 would be an acceptable alternative, I'd say they have a slimmer profile and most definitely a less wide heel (dayton's heel really feels eee width to me). Also, they can be had on sale for $2-300. I actually think I like my 745s better than my daytons even though the daytons are probably sturdier (f+b feels still feels solid, but the daytons are tanks). As well as the other usual suspects buttero and NDC, but I don't no particular models in those.

Last edited:

Islander

Reaction score

Are there any better alternatives to the Daytons?

http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/822304/width/175/height/263
http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/822306/width/175/height/263

Rokin Roy ($500) vs Marsell Mid-Lace ($700) vs MA+ Staple ($1,800)

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

f+b 745 would be an acceptable alternative, I'd say they have a slimmer profile and most definitely a less wide heel (dayton's heel really feels eee width to me). Also, they can be had on sale for $2-300. I actually think I like my 745s better than my daytons even though the daytons are probably sturdier (f+b feels still feels solid, but the daytons are tanks). As well as the other usual suspects buttero and NDC, but I don't no particular models in those.

F+B 745s are reasonably similar. I bought a pair when I got sick of the Dayton fiasco. They even come in a nubuck charcoal.

lostintranslation

Reaction score
Gents,

I purchased a pair of the Dayton Boots during the sale (charcoal nubuck) in a size 10EE. I finally got them last week, and have worn them twice.

Contrary to what a few posters here have said, I find these to be noticeably more bulbous in the toe than their W+H counterparts. I've read a few posts regarding how they look exactly the same minus the distressing, but when I put them side by side to my W+H, they're definitely less sleek.

Something I wanted to ask about is heel slip. I have a massive amount of heel slip in these boots, even having worn them around a good deal to break them in. The length is pretty spot on for me; going down a size would absolutely crush my toes. Does anybody here find that they get an irregular amount of heel slip in these boots? If so, any workarounds to this that you guys have found?

Additionally, these boots are extremely, extremely uncomfortable. I feel every bit of the ground walking around in them, and not in a good way. By the end of the day, my feet are painful and my toes are more or less bruised. Has anybody else experienced these problems? I'm not sure if it's simply how I'm walking, or if these boots are defective.

Sigh.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read this somewhere in the thread, so most likely the solution to your problem is an insole:
1.5 sizes down - reg socks no insole
1 size down - reg socks with insole added
1/2 size down - thick socks and thick insole

As for the bulbous toe, this could be due to poor quality control. Someone posted a frankenboot in here with some pretty ugly proportions.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
^^ A decent insole should take care of the issue of feeling every bit of ground walking around in them. All you have between you and the ground is a thin leather (or thin leather + thinner leather topy), so some extra cushioning is probably in order.

The toebox issue could be a combination of quality control and the fact that they're not broken in yet. As you get some serious wear on them, the toebox will probably settle down and not look so bulbous. The W+H boots may or may not actually have less leather at the toe, but the toebox is definitely smushed down vertically when they're tied up and dunked.

Carpenoctem

Reaction score
Been wearing my boots daiky maybe two months, the leather sole has seperated already, gotta get them resoled. Pretty lame but at least they look good.

lostintranslation

Reaction score
Hey notwithit,

I went 1.5 sizes down (normally a size 11.5D). Do these boots come with an insole? I don't think I received an insole with mine.

I was thinking about your solution of adding an insole into these shoes, but the problem is that I think they would be way too tight after doing so, since I already sized down 1.5 sizes. Any ideas? :)

Thanks, guys. Hopefully I can make this work and not have to call this a complete waste of money.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Been wearing my boots daiky maybe two months, the leather sole has seperated already, gotta get them resoled. Pretty lame but at least they look good.

That sucks man. This isn't typical Dayton though, I think they really dropped the ball on quality when they got swamped with sale orders. They're known for making work boots that last forever.
Hey notwithit,

I went 1.5 sizes down (normally a size 11.5D). Do these boots come with an insole? I don't think I received an insole with mine.

I was thinking about your solution of adding an insole into these shoes, but the problem is that I think they would be way too tight after doing so, since I already sized down 1.5 sizes. Any ideas? :)

Thanks, guys. Hopefully I can make this work and not have to call this a complete waste of money.

No, they expect you to add an insole. You can use a half insole / heel pad and see if that helps.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you talked with them, they would've told you how the sizing worked. TTS for 2~3 thick socks for work/cold -1/2 for insole and normal socks, -1 for just socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads