• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone want to sell nubuck in 9 or 9.5? send me a message

Islander

Reaction score
I received a perfect pair of charcoal nubuck size 11EE (fits 12D) with a topy when I specifically said NO TOPY (read the purchase order Dayton, it's there in ALL CAPS with exclamation marks, lol this company). They are making me a new pair for exchange or sale (my option) so if anyone wants these at the sale price let me know. Brand new, never worn outside, perfect flawless construction, no Dayton logo, box and original invoice included and you get the free topy because I did not pay for it.

I just got a new lens for my camera so I can send you macro shots of every square inch of the boots to satisfy your morbid curiosity, lol. Not going to post these in B&S because I'm local and I don't mind dealing with Dayton for the exchange, the front line staff are all good people. If my replacement pair pass inspection (ETA two weeks) these go back and I'm sure they will be resold at full retail.

XTZn4.jpg

Last edited:

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah thats the problem ... the workers apparently do not read or listen to instructions. im dreading the day my two pairs come in with dayton stamped on the side :brick:

Curious_George

Reaction score

I received a perfect pair of charcoal nubuck size 11EE (fits 12D) with a topy when I specifically said NO TOPY (read the purchase order Dayton, it's there in ALL CAPS with exclamation marks, lol this company). They are making me a new pair for exchange or sale (my option) so if anyone wants these at the sale price let me know. Brand new, never worn outside, perfect flawless construction, no Dayton logo, box and original invoice included and you get the free topy because I did not pay for it.

Isn't it pretty simple to remove a Topy? Why not have them remove it and keep that pair?

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah man you should keep it if you got a perfect pair. Who knows what you might end up with in exchange. Is the topy even noticeable? Isn't it preferred given how much rain we get here?

Crump's Brother

Reaction score
i honestly wouldn't sweat the topy...who the hell is gonna see it when you're wearing the boots anyways?

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't even know if I should stop by and order a pair after reading this thread. Maybe I'll do it after they finish all the SF orders and have more time to focus on quality control.

Anyone have pics of their worn in oiled browns?

EDIT: Their website is 404...

Last edited:

Islander

Reaction score
To be honest, I think they might have put a topy on every pair just to simplify things since the majority asked for them. I could be wrong though.

Anyways... it's not a big deal but I have never worn topys on any of my leather soled shoes or boots. I had a used pair of W+H boots that I wore in the rain for a year and the soles were still in great shape when I eventually sold 'em (too big). Plus I have boots with commando soles for rain, iron rangers for snow, etc. I got a few PM's so if someone wants 'em in the next few days, fine, if not then back they go. I am fortunate that I can check out the new pair before I exchange them, so if they are not 100% maybe I will end up keeping these. Sorry to hear about the problems some people have had.

I was telling someone via pm so may as well mention it here as well, I had the pleasure of meeting the head bootmaker when I was there a while ago. He is this super-friendly 60-70 year old Italian (?) gentleman who laughs constantly and speaks this crazy non-stop italian-english spanglish. I didn't understand a word, lol. He had bootmaker's hands, there's no other way to describe it. Some of the other bootmakers (maybe apprentices?) looked less experienced, if you get my drift.

Last edited:

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ How do your boots fit? Any space for insoles or thick socks? EE the right width?

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** apprentices I can make a castle out of egg shell fragments I dropped into the mix when I worked under a famous cook

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went in to get my heels replaced and a heel tap put in.

Everything there seems fine.

Will post pics of my new heels.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I just go to Dayton and have them make me a pair of service boots? (I'm local)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads