1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Astronaut888, Jan 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

I bought a pair of the black nubuck W+H version for retail a couple of years ago and immediately had buyers remorse. Fast forward a couple of years and I wish I held onto them,

2. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

What insoles are you guys using to improve comfort? Im looking for some heel support to keep from lifting.

3. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

How long have you worn them?

First couple months the heels lifted for me too.
    But I wore them so much they are molded to my feet now.

4. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Same here. The way they sized me (1.5 down) did not allow space for an insole but a couple months in the soles have molded and my feet dont slide anymore.

5. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

dito. go w/o the insoles if you can and the sole will form nicely to your foot's shape.

6. meso

meso Senior member

Yeah took a few weeks to break in but they are super comfortable now. Wearing 9 1/2 with insoles, typically I wear a 10 in Alden Barrie. I've been wearing them on a trip around Istanbul and they are very sturdy.

7. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Soooo... who's down for another pair? :foo:

8. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

I'd probably do it in another year.

Nubuck Black, if it was around $300ish.

9. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Wore them 1x. Forgot i had them.

10. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

Did Dayton ever end up doing another sale after that massive clusterfuck? I'm kind of glad I didn't end up ordering a pair but kind of want one now.

11. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

They just ended $65 sale I think? If you call them I'm sure they will honor the discount. And hence the hipster circle continues..

12. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

I'd like to be out of that circle, but my nubucks need new heels. Has anyone had theirs refurbished/resoled?

13. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

If it's just new rubber heels, it will cost you $30-50.

No need to resole?

14. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

probably at least a new heel since I've worn past the rubber and into the leather part of the heel.

15. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

Haven't read more than the last few pages for sake of time...but any other boots similar styling to these (in charcoal) since these seem to be hellish to actually get?

Also, searching through old threads about them, it seems a lot of people have been selling them on B&S. Is that mainly due to sizing/heel slip that everybody's been talking about?

16. skcheng

skcheng Member

I just picked up a pair of oiled black 7.5 Daytons and I really dig them. Yes, there are obvious flaws, but I don't care. Very much of a handmade feel to my boots, and most importantly, they fit me well. I have flat feet and the front of the boots seem low and somewhat shallow, so I can see how these may not fit someone with a high instep. But for me, these are great (just bought another pair off these forums in a size 7EE in a different color).

Question: I plan on wearing these boots over the winter. What has everyone been using to treat the oiled black leather and the brown boots? Obenaufs LP or something else?? I searched through some of the thread and didn't come up with much.

thanks,

skc

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  17. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

^ hey, one question. Do you find oiled black stiff? I own a pair in charcoal nubuck and oiled black, while nubuck is buttery soft and broke in nicely in a couple weeks the oiled black pair gives me blisters after almost 50 miles of mileage. Both of them are supposed to be the same size but now I am wondering if they messed it up again.

18. skcheng

skcheng Member

I've only just tried them on so far, but they feel pretty comfortable to me. I wouldn't call the oiled black buttery soft, but I'd say it's fairly supple. I should get a brown pair in soon, and I'll compare the two? Are you wearing insoles? If so, which ones? I was just going to try to wear mine without any?

Did you treat your nubuck and oiled black boots with anything?

19. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Don't have insoles on any. Would be too tight on both pairs if I did. Nothing on Nubuck pair, as it was a defect one anyways. As for oiled black, a wax paste once in a while because I wear them pretty regularly.
    Maybe I should call them up about the sizing issue.

20. skcheng

skcheng Member

These are great. Molded reinforced toe is interesting. Been wearing them all afternoon/evening and they seem to fit me perfectly. I've never worn shoes/boots without insoles? Will these mold to my feet somewhat after wearing them for a while? I guess I'll order some of Dayton's Oil to try on the boots.

[​IMG]