• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

Local_Disk

Reaction score
Awesome boots, snake, your pics made me glad I ordered the black oil. So you got the Ok oil for free? I called Dayton last week and told them to add in the OK oil for some extra charge (they asked for my CC #). I haven't been charged yet, so now I wonder if they are just giving them out with the boot...

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weird I'm a true 8 got the 6.5ee as suggested and theres some slight slippage in the heel
Originally Posted by snake
Not sure about the barrie but I'm a true 8 and ordered a 6.5. fo free
Sent from my Nexus S

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will get better my boots ate my ankles and hurt my arches but after a week, very comfortable
Originally Posted by nahneun
I walked around the city for a day with them on and found an insole absolutely necessary. They ******* hurt because there's no support for you foot.
Sent from my Nexus S

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
Weird I'm a true 8 got the 6.5ee as suggested and theres some slight slippage in the heel

Sent from my Nexus S

I got mine in E not EE. That might be it.

tit_tyrant

Reaction score
Got my nubuck in 9EE and wear a 10C or D normally. Fit perfectly and seem to be fairly comfortable without insoles. Will stomp through Spain in these in a couple weeks.

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tit_tyrant
Got my nubuck in 9EE and wear a 10C or D normally. Fit perfectly and seem to be fairly comfortable without insoles. Will stomp through Spain in these in a couple weeks.

^ What does your feet measure? It would be helpful if those of you who got them can state the length of your feet and the size you got and the eventual fit.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Better start breaking them in now. You wouldn't want to hike a country in fresh boots that have not been.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
For ref I sized down 1.5 and the fit is perfect.

Got mine in charcoal nubuck today. Sized down 1.5 as well (12 on a Brannock to 10.5), and the fit's spot-on.

tit_tyrant

Reaction score
I dunno if I could be any more accurate with a ruler or something than by telling you I just sized down 1 and was given the EE width. I guess some people may have specified they wanted a different width? I was just told to size down one and not given the option to select a width, but the fit is fine.

What would anyone recommend for stain/waterproofing?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno if I could be any more accurate with a ruler or something than by telling you I just sized down 1 and was given the EE width. I guess some people may have specified they wanted a different width? I was just told to size down one and not given the option to select a width, but the fit is fine.

What would anyone recommend for stain/waterproofing?

Dayton so far seems to get the recommendations pretty spot on.

for waterproofing, I would use their O.K. Oil.
Leather is a breathable fabric, so it will never be truly waterproof, but will resist water to a point.

Biggest thing is proper care and IMO a topy or some sort of rubber on the sole, for slipping and protecting the leather from absorbing water.

There is a shoe care thread on proper maintenance of leather shoes in Mens Clothing.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Better start breaking them in now. You wouldn't want to hike a country in fresh boots that have not been.

i concur.

even if they fit you perfect.

break them in or it will be uncomfortable, like a new pair of denim.
the back of your heels will get scratched up and your instep may experience discomfort.

Local_Disk

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the OK oil permanently darkens the brown boots?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Local_Disk
Does anyone know if the OK oil permanently darkens the brown boots?

Definitely YES, if you don't want to darken the boots, DONT USE IT.

see my pictures in the thread for the color change.

I was a bit choked, but it's still a nice boot.

Local_Disk

Reaction score
Damnit, thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know of an alternative oil I can use that wont darken the boots (at least not permanently)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads