• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Are they actually taking a return? I still really want a pair of the service boots... just don't feel like dealing with the hassle. I think I might give them a chance though, though not three, if they'd actually stand by a return for defect.

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get over Dayton and spend your money elsewhere. This is coming from someone who went through crap getting a pair, making costly international calls and getting them shipped up and down from one part of the world to another.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a problem with the last of the left boot that was causing blisters on my left heel after months of wearing them. The cobbler said the problem could be solved only if the shoes were re-lasted. I sent them back to the factory, chalked the spot with the problem with a letter that stated the problem and told them specifically not to stretch them. Guess what, after a month I get a phone call telling me that they have stretched the left boot. I tell them that's not the problem as I have repeatedly stated over the phone and on e mail. Another month passes and I get the boots back. Re-lasted boot. Nice. Except.. the left foot is stretched noticeably. Left and right don't even look the same anymore. The left foot now not only is roomy, it looks swollen.

Holy ****.

Those people must be incompetent or something.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
as the owner of a pair of service boots that were thankfully not botched (the workmanship still leaves much to be desired), i can safely say that the boots are not really worth the money. they're ******* heavy as hell. their only purpose in my wardrobe is as snow boots. invest your money in a better pair of boots.

Last edited:

click here

Reaction score
For those who own these boots, do you find it uncomfortable to wear? Because they don't have insoles in them to me the boots just feels so hard, needs more cushion. Would getting them resoled help? I have used an insole but there is not enough room in the front of the boot.

Last edited:

basil rathbone

Reaction score
Just thought I'd chime in since Dayton took a well-deserved (at the time) beating at points in this thread for their QC and customer service. I've been looking for some new boots for a while and was considering Dayton, Alden, 1000 miles, Red Wing, etc. Ended up choosing Dayton largely because I'm local and wanted to support a 65 year old Vancouver company.

They responded to my emails very quickly, even late at night. Went into the store and got sized up perfectly. They were ready in less time than they told me. And I've had them for a month or so and have noticed no issues with the build quality at all. Leather is great. Fit is perfect and I find them quite comfortable once broken in (took a couple hours). The topy on the sole is stitched on now and the heel is nailed down. Really love the shape. Considering getting another pair in charcoal nubuck sometime down the road.

At 500 bucks, they're getting up there in price, unfortunately. Got mine for $425, which is a bit more reasonable, and I'm definitely happy with them at that price.

Maybe they're starting to work out their issues from a couple years ago. Just my two cents.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those who own these boots, do you find it uncomfortable to wear? Because they don't have insoles in them to me the boots just feels so hard, needs more cushion. Would getting them resoled help? I have used an insole but there is not enough room in the front of the boot.

I wear mine without insoles and I have flat feet.

They are very comfortable now.

I've worn them pretty solid for about 3 years now.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When do these things go on sale? April each year? I know there's a lot of bad blood here but really want some of those charcoal nubuck service boots...

D Z00

Reaction score
Update :

Christmas is probably coming a few days late this year. Hopefully i dont get a lump of coal.

My pair from Dayton are on the way. 87 days (12+ weeks) from order date to shipping confirmation. Just to give an idea of some of the current wait times.

basil rathbone

Reaction score
20% off gift card purchase till Dec 24th at Dayton FYI. According to their instagram.

kagebo

Reaction score
[/IMG]

Picked up a pair of these charcoal nubuck service boots a week ago and must say so far I'm very impressed. They're breaking in nicely and are very comfortable. For reference these are a EEE width on the itshide commando club outsole. I got these for $400 CAD compared to the $800 CAD I would have had to spend on the viberg smoke Kudu's. So far happy with my choice.

Kwaker

Reaction score

[/IMG]
[/SPOILER]
Picked up a pair of these charcoal nubuck service boots a week ago and must say so far I'm very impressed. They're breaking in nicely and are very comfortable. For reference these are a EEE width on the itshide commando club outsole. I got these for $400 CAD compared to the $800 CAD I would have had to spend on the viberg smoke Kudu's. So far happy with my choice.

Those look great ... congrats.

Are you local to Dayton or did you get lucky with sizing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics