• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of tapered jeans?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Of course they need tapers. What other cut of pants were dress shoes ever intended for? They're slim, low profile shoes. At most, you might be able to wear a slim straightleg.
Many trousers are not tapered. Denim needs to be even slimmer than most other pants though due to the stiffness I think. I'm still not sure how I feel about tapered jeans with slimmer sneakers.

pinoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
being short, i need a tapered leg to avoid looking fat

im short too-- but ive found that a tapered leg actually makes you look fat. it accentuates my hips and makes me look top heavy. have you not found this to be the case?

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it depends on whether the jean actually fits or is just wayyyy too tight. if it's the latter you'd end up looking like a male muffin top but if you wear your clothes too baggy it looks even worse. i'm not the skinniest person in the world but i find that fitted clothes are definitely much more slimming than attempting to size up to "hide the fat."

Originally Posted by pinoy
im short too-- but ive found that a tapered leg actually makes you look fat. it accentuates my hips and makes me look top heavy. have you not found this to be the case?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinoy

i have big hips and big soccer legs, and from looking at my waywt's with tapered jeans i'm sure no one sees how big they really are... i wear a 33 inch waist at 5'8... if i'm nto wearing tapered jeans it just doesn't look good

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
it depends on whether the jean actually fits or is just wayyyy too tight. if it's the latter you'd end up looking like a male muffin top but if you wear your clothes too baggy it looks even worse. i'm not the skinniest person in the world but i find that fitted clothes are definitely much more slimming than attempting to size up to "hide the fat."

I think it all depends on the shape of the person.

I'm just saying for me, I'm stocky..and tapered jeans
w/dress shoes makes me look like an upside down triangle in shape.
NOT flattering.

I guess if you're more slight of build it's more flattering.

For me, I need straight leg jeans to just even out the natural lines of my shape.

I do see pictures here, where just in my opinion, even if they person is thinner..
when the jeans are TOO tight and too tapered then it makes the shoes and feet look HUGE.

But I'll have to see more of the regular tapered look instead of the super tight
tapered

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I have some tapered jeans at different extremes (7.75", 7.25", 7" and 6.5") and none of them look like leggings on me. My most tapered ones, have a good amount of room in the thighs (almost too much).

You're stocky (short and kinda big right?), tapered jeans are really difficult on that body. I'm tall and relatively slim so for me it's no big deal. Straightleg jeans feel awkward on me with all the room around the calves. I don't think the fits you're seeing are TOO tight or tapered, i think it's mainly a preference thing for your that you're not used to. There aren't many people here wearing super tight jeans like april 77 or cheap monday. If you don't get it, i wouldn't worry about it since it doesn't seem like the look is for you preference and body type wise.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I have some tapered jeans at different extremes (7.75", 7.25", 7" and 6.5") and none of them look like leggings on me. My most tapered ones, have a good amount of room in the thighs (almost too much).

You're stocky (short and kinda big right?), tapered jeans are really difficult on that body. I'm tall and relatively slim so for me it's no big deal. Straightleg jeans feel awkward on me with all the room around the calves. I don't think the fits you're seeing are TOO tight or tapered, i think it's mainly a preference thing for your that you're not used to. There aren't many people here wearing super tight jeans like april 77 or cheap monday. If you don't get it, i wouldn't worry about it since it doesn't seem like the look is for you preference and body type wise.

Yeah..no worries..I just wanted to see if I can grow to appreciate the look
as I've grown to appreciate other looks on this forum.

And grew out OF other looks...like those hideous LOUD t-shirts
that I came from Nothing posted...

Brian SD

Reaction score
Chronoaug has it right. Skinny jeans look good on skinny folks. We can give credit (to a degree) to Dior Homme for bringing the tapered, stacked look to the mainstream, and if you check it out on the runways, they're not half as tight as how people wear the look when mimicking it. They're just jeans made for skinny people. Hell, I've worn the tightest jeans Nudie produces and they're still not leggings-tight on me.

inviscid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
a true straight leg ends up looking a bit bootcut imo

a slight taper of 1" from knee to hem ends up looking straight legged. Any jean with an 8.5" knee and 7.5" hem is probably going to be something that comes home with me

If the OP is referring to severe tapers like April 77 joeys then I would agree that there's little appeal

i thought our fav. cut was the thin finn?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inviscid
i thought our fav. cut was the thin finn?

i like the Thinn Finn, it isnt my fave cut anymore (not sure it was ever my FAVE, but maybe at one point it mighta been). It isnt that tight anyways, not like Cheap Monday or April 77 Joeys. The hem measures 7", which is the smallest I would wear

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
i like the Thinn Finn, it isnt my fave cut anymore (not sure it was ever my FAVE, but maybe at one point it mighta been). It isnt that tight anyways, not like Cheap Monday or April 77 Joeys. The hem measures 7", which is the smallest I would wear
What is your fav cut nowadays? My money's on jnco's...

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I like my skinny black waxed jeans and the 6.5"ish hem doesn't look that weird, but it's tough getting my size 10.5 feet through when i'm taking them off and i'm a little sweaty and/or drunk
laugh.gif
Jncos are fresh. I remember how happy i was seeing a kid in jncos the other day on campus. Really warmed my 4th-8th grade skater heart.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
What is your fav cut nowadays?

My money's on jnco's...

I dont even know what the **** that is??

my fave cuts right now:
-SFx5EP
-Julian Red california
-esef Ori
-Pringle slim selvedge

basically all higher rise with a 7.5" hem

cookieoflife

Reaction score
Straight legs look like bootcuts when worn extensively. The knees tend to stretch out in the forward-back axis and pinch in on the sides, so from the front they look like an X around the knees. I actually got comments on how I was wearing bootcuts again when I was wearing my 5EP SDZ. No such comments on APC NS's, which are mildly tapered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads