• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats so great about Monks?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
blackowww

DSC06117.JPG

Beautiful!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
I love monks. Velcro for adults? I understand the metaphor, but why not bash loafers, too, then? Are lace-ups the only single way to go ever?

Loafers are not as offensive as monks and besides, this thread is about the inexplicable desire to part with money in exchange for them.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bonora double monks

IMG_2310-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Rider specials

IMG_1989-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by woolymammoth
Wonderful - are these shoes a current Bontoni model?

Yes they were one of their first models and still in the line. I especially like the color since it is a wonderful shade that works as well in summer as winter.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Loafers are not as offensive as monks and besides, this thread is about the inexplicable desire to part with money in exchange for them.

The question is what makes them so offensive in the first place? Many of us quite like them.

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
And, there are the Bontoni triple monks. I have never had any other shoe where so many people have stopped me on the street or in stores to ask where they could get these. I know they aren't for everyone but I like them. They are also the most comfortable leather soled shoes I have ever owned.

bontoni.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love those!!!! ;-)

pajames

Reaction score
The first shoes I wore when I entered grade school were monks. They were the only ones that fit my then very narrow feet. At the time I hated them as they were always brown. When I got older I looked at them in a new light. Now they are among my favorites in both single and double. Now the shoe I don't get is the bal boots. I think they are horrid. But thats just me.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree with you on the Balmoral boots...Pure product of a group think...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
The question is what makes them so offensive in the first place? Many of us quite like them.

See my posts in this thread.

Originally Posted by lasbar
Agree with you on monks...Pure product of a group think...

ftfy

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Agree with you on the Balmoral boots...Pure product of a group think...
I enjoy bal boots with suits, especially in winter.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Single monks from VASS or Santoni are quite nice, for variety.
Straight double monks are very difficult to make look elegant. The only exception I can think of is that angled double monk from Lobb (called Jeremin or something).
So to sum it up straight double monk is ugly as sin and not recommended for high instep folk.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Salsalocust
A monk for the countryside?

Crockett & Jones "Lowndes" tan pebble Grain - ridgway sole- 341 last

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

Regards,

Graham

Not a fan. Some monks make me think of puritan's shoes, so I prefer them to be more city than country (ie sleek last, leather sole, close welt).

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I've never been able to find a pair of monks that could accomodate my feet & orthotics, which is why a pair of double monks was my choice for my first pair of bespoke shoes:

Finalshot.jpg

(ignore the medallion template, this was a WIP shot and it has changed a couple of times since then)

It doesn't really show in the picture, but the quarters and flap (?) are in navy veal calf, while the vamp is black veal calf.

Final fitting is tomorrow!
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads