• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's my best bet for finding a narrow Alden boot?

44Jimmy

Reaction score
I really like the aesthetics and function of the Alden boots but have a tough to fit narrow foot. I impulsively bought a "custom" pair from Shoemart, with Commando sole and barrie last and they just don't fit my foot. While a pain, it's worth it to me to sell those and buy a better fitting pair.
The "stock" Alden 3912 fits very well, but I was hoping for a commando sole and a more casual look. But.... while there are some other "custom" models out there on the Hampton or Plaza (i.e, narrow) lasts, it seems like they run them very rarely (and getting a "c" width would be tough).
So...would appreciate it if anyone knew of other options, or, should I just go with what works (3912) on the plaza last and perhaps have a cobbler put rubber over the sole if they're too slippery?

DG123

Reaction score
For the most part, lasts are designed to create a particular look/shape/profile rather than fit. For fit, width sizing is the primary factor.
Certainly the shape of a last, upper material, upper pattern, sole type etc... all influence the way a shoe or boot fits, but if you want to find your best fitting footwear, size length and width is most significant.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is challenging as Alden will not do an individual MTO shoe/boot unlike other higher end brands. You basically have to hope that one of their retail partners to have a special make up but in a narrow last.

If you like the look of Alden, try Ramcourt.

It’s a similar aesthetic but you might find what you’re looking for. But make sure you have your size and width down.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rancourt & Co has a nice look - I have 2 pairs but there soles are terrible. I had leather on one pair and vibram like on another and both wore out quickly. Much quicker than any other shoe I have. I won't buy from them again.

DG123

Reaction score
This is challenging as Alden will not do an individual MTO shoe/boot unlike other higher end brands. You basically have to hope that one of their retail partners to have a special make up but in a narrow last.

I don't believe the OP specified what exactly was wrong with the fit of his Alden makeup boot from Shoemart. If his foot is narrow and, or, he believes he needs a C width Alden makes several models of stock boots available in a C width. Also, B width is a stock size for Alden's 405 Indy Boot.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I’m a C width, but that doesn’t mean i’m going to wear every shoe or boot in a C. For example, i wear Barrie and Van last shoes in a D.

I do wear Indy boots in a C. Getting them was easy. They arrived in a couple days straight from Alden rather than the retailer (Sherman Bros.).

I think if you need a particular non-stock boot in a C, you’ll probably have to ask, pay upfront & then wait for a while.

DG123

Reaction score
I think if you need a particular non-stock boot in a C, you’ll probably have to ask, pay upfront & then wait for a while.

True. Alden stocks a B width in the company's 405 Indy Boot, so in B retailers may carry the 405 or receive one quickly from Alden's warehouse.
However Alden's stock program for the 401 and 403 Indy boots does not include the B width. If a run of 401's in C, D, E width was produced last month and today a retailer special orders a B width for that model, it may be nearly a year before Alden is ready to produce another run of 401's for Alden's model stock, and at that time today's order for the single pair of B widths will finally be produced.
I know that Alden is willing to produce the narrow B (or even A) widths in patterns that the stock catalogue shows are available in at least one color. However, if it is a shoe pattern that (in any color or material) is only offered in C, D, and E widths, I am not sure that Alden would accept a special order for a B or A width.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads