1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Whats middle of the line?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Nov 20, 2004.

1. demeis

demeis Distinguished Member

I'm looking for suits and i i've been a little overwhelmed by brands.  I'm looking for a 2-3 decent suits for an internship that are middle of the line that will last me for awhile, that aren't crap basically, but i don't want anything top of the line like brioni etc. because i can't afford it right now and i don't want to wear something to over the top.  Anyhow what do people recommend as middle of the line suits that can be found at good deals at off fith, ebay, smartbargins places like that.  I really don't have a lot of money to spend and want to stretch my money as far as it can go (looking at around $600 give or take a little).  So if anyone could help me out i would really appreciate it.

Oh and i can get BR suits pretty cheap but not really sure on the quality of their suits, i know a lot of people here don't like their stuff but at half off would it be worth it?

thanks
    Nik

2. Alex_O

Alex_O Well-Known Member

I think Brooks would be fine, if you have no problem with the styling. Try J press although I doubt you will find deals like at brooks outlet. Try loehmann's, filenes basement. But people mostly criticize Brooks bc's of what it was before, not necesarilly of what it is today. It's worth it if the price is right I would say. Is that 600 per suit or for 2-3 suits? But if thats 600 per suit and if you have some time, ebay is the way to go. I wish someone who often wears suits would expand on my lack of any actual helpful suggestions [​IMG] . As a side note what field are you going to intern in?

3. demeis

I don't really mind brooks brothers i actually worked for them for 2 years so i have a few of their suits.  I'm actually going into fashion kind of.  I'm doing an internship at a mens clothing store for business mostly, sales, and hopefully some tailoring as well.  Just trying to gain more knowledge but i keep running into unfamiliar brands that i'm not sure about quality and i don't trust what the sales men tell me and i have very limited knowledge of suits right now and mens formal clothing. OH and tahts $600 for everything, god i love being a poor college student.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

HSM and Hickey Freeman are reliable and classic if a bit conservative, generally well made (do a search to see the differences in their lines) and available at deep discount at places like Nordstrom Rack. I would say based on the discounts I've seen on these they would be one of your best values for quality, but not for cutting edge fashion.

5. demeis

cutting edge fashion is not to much of a concern to me. The place i am working at is a bit conservative.

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Distinguished Member

Well I understand the whole poor college student thing, am there, doing that, have the t-shirt.

I second the reccomendations for HSM and HF. If you get your measurements down (check the HOF 'measuring for eBay' thread), you can pick up either brand for under $50.00. I picked up an HSM for less than ten last week because I liked the fabric and the color. That way you could pick up a couple of suits to rotate through.

Regards,
    Huntsman

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

I'd personally go with Canali or Corneliani on ebay. They can be found fairly frequently for about $150-300 per suit NWT. I would get a solid charcoal and solid navy suit and call it a day. You can always get pinstripes later.

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I concur. Canali is definitely conservative looking but still has an excellent fit and great tailoring.

9. demeis

How do HSM suits fit? It seems as though they are smaller in the shoulders, on ebay for 40r they seem to measure 18in and for 38r they are 17.5in. I usually wear a 39 with 19in shoulder. Has anyone found that they fit small in the shoulders?

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Yes, IME they are small in the shoulders. I would suggest you try to find some to try them on and get an idea of the fit before buying. Since they are so accessible it really makes sense to go check them out before buying online.

11. esquire.

esquire. Distinguished Member

If the place is that conservative, why not just stick with the Brooks Brothers suits that you have. Their quality is still pretty good, just not as good as value as it used to be. But, since you got an employee discount, that really shouldn't matter.

Its going to be hard to find quality suits for around $200, unless you're willing to take the risk of EBay. But, its all about the fit and you won't know how it fits till they send it.

As an intern, they know you're still a college student and don't expect you to be dressing that well. Are they really expecting you to wear a different suit each day of the week?

12. demeis

I'm looking at two BB suits right now that i think i'm gonna pick up tommarow. I already own two suits, i don't work for the anymore so i don't get a discout. I was looking to get two more because i'm gonna be working 3 days a week and would like 4 suits for a nice rotation. And i'm looking at some more internships this summer and the suits i will be able to use later on so not to bid of a deal about spending some extra cash on them

13. shqiptar

shqiptar Well-Known Member

Don't worry to much about buying expensive suits. At your entry level more important is to have neat, conservative suits that blend harmoniusly with the shirt, tie, and shoes. The Brooks, or other men retail stores are just fine for two basic conservative suits: solid navy, and solid grey/charcoal. Two suits should be enough to get started. You can wear each of them every other day, and be just fine.

It's more important to find a good tailor willing to do extensive alterations on the cheap suits, than go straight at buying expensive suits. The majority of men need to alter their suits no matter how expensive they are, therefore finding the good tailor for alterations is worth the time and money. Once you wear consistently suits, you'll know better your body and what cut works best for you.

First earn the money, then spend it on expensive clothes/toys. Good luck.

14. demeis

Yeh but i've found a pretty good deal on BB suits, its in another post but its two of the 1818 collection for $375. For me that seems like a pretty good deal considering that they retail for about $798 each.

15. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Is the 1818 BB line fully canvassed?

Anyone, thanks.