• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's it with those shoulders? – Unstructured sports coat

flachrate

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm reading styleforum for quite a while now and finally decided to sign up.

Maybe you can give me a little input, what's up with the shoulders on this recently acquired sports coat, which overall fits quite well (sleeves get a tiny bit shortened) but has this weird crease/fold in the rear shoulder area.

I've a feeling that the shoulders are too wide … but then again, in theory they should fit, doing this test where you lean your shoulder against the wall and if the body touches the wall before the jacket's shoulder, it's said to be a good fit. When I rotate the sleeve a bit by holding it, it seems to vanish.

What could cause this crease? Anything a regular alteration tailor could fix?

Sorry for spelling/grammar mistakes, I'm not a native speaker.
IMG_20190109_210331.jpg

IMG_20190109_205951.jpg

IMG_20190109_210122.jpg

IMG_20190109_210152.jpg

GMcMillan

Reaction score
I think it could be due to uneven sewing. If you have a trusted tailor, ask them. Otherwise, I’d actually return it. That shoulder divot on the right side would drive me insane.

toplel

Reaction score
I have the *exact* same divot on my right shoulder, because I broke that collarbone as a kid. Might that be the case with you?

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Perhaps there are zippers on the inside to allow for the removal of sleeves? Just kidding. Your jacket appears a size too big (though possibly not in length - a photo of the whole body would help). On the other hand, it is a sports jacket and the rules are looser, so if you don't seek perfection, wear it.

GMcMillan

Reaction score
Perhaps there are zippers on the inside to allow for the removal of sleeves? Just kidding. Your jacket appears a size too big (though possibly not in length - a photo of the whole body would help). On the other hand, it is a sports jacket and the rules are looser, so if you don't seek perfection, wear it.
But why the shoulder divot only on the right side when standing normally? It looks like there is some puckering at the seam there, as well, that is absent on the left.

Tim Beasley

Reaction score
Congrats on the new Lubium jacket!!

There are some things I would suggest to do to this.

Firstly, I will tell you that this piece is designed for casual elegant wear and proper fit is not the main goal of this. Consider this soft jacket as a sports wear item to be added with denim jeans or casual pairings.

Secondly, as far as fit, have your tailor take in the center seam of your soft jacket to pull in the shoulders up to 3/4 of an inch as well as shape the waist of the coat for a trimmer silhouette.

Hope this helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads