1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's in your liquor cabinet?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Nantucket Red, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

With the addition of Lagavulin, I now have a bottle each of the Classic malts.

Oban is like a Highland with a hint of the peatiness of an Islay or island whisky. I detect notes of licorice, which I could imagine taking on an anise quality when cut, but menthol seems a bit far afield somehow.

Lagavulin reminds me of summers on the Maine coast during my childhood.

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I'm not a big drinker but i do have an interesting question for you guys. If I wanted to be well-stocked for entertaining (dinner parties and single women, mostly) what would be the bare minimum?

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

If I wanted to be well-stocked for entertaining (dinner parties and single women, mostly) what would be the bare minimum?

In order:
    Light rum (such as Bacardi)
    Vodka (such as Finlandia)
    Bourbon (such as Jim Beam)
    Tequila (...Chinaco, Herradura, etc...)
    Canadian (rye) Whiskey (Crown Royal)
    Gin (such as Bombay sapphire)

...and mixers (tonic water, limes, Coke)

For dinner parties: wine - white and red. Many better people than myself to answer the wine question, but you'll do well getting vino suggestions from your invitees.

That should keep many people relatively happy. After that, additions depend upon your tastes and your guests' tastes.

4. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Someone above asked about Fernet. Here in San Francisco, it enjoys what amounts to a cult following, particularly within restaurant and bar industry circles. In fact, I've been told that R Bar on Sutter St. sells more Fernet than any other single restaurant or bar in the world (including Italy).

I worked in a few restaurants in college, and I picked up the Fernet bug along the way. I still order it quite often when I'm out, usually after dinner, but sometimes just on it's own - always neat.

As a side note, my girlfriend is of Czech ancestry, and lived in Prague for 3.5 years. They drink a ton of Fernet over there, although it's not of the Italian "Branca" variety - it's a little sweeter and has a lower alcohol content.

Cheers!

Yes, the Czechs really adore Fernet. One of the more interesting concoctions I recall was Bavorske pivo (Bavorak, in the colloquial) or Bavarian Beer--Fernet mixed with seltzer water. A possibly refreshing summer drink, I suppose, but certainly also a not-so-subtle jab at one of the few other people that might lay claim to the beer drinking crown.
    I wonder, though, Does anybody else have a bottle of Zubrowka (Polish vodka flavored with bison grass) in the freezer? Also, what about all of the Central European herbal liquers? The Czechs have Becherovka--supposedly started as a medicine--and I know the Hungarians and Swiss make similar things. My own bias is towards armagnac, scotch, or a nice Alsatian eau de vie, but there's also something to be said for a little breadth. Vodka drinking, I think, is sui generis.

5. Nantucket Red

Recently added The Macallan, a fresh bottle of The Glenlivet, and Remy Martin XO Excellence.

6. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

-Sauza Hornitos Tequilla
    -Old Overholt Rye Whiskey
    -Tullamore Irish Whisky
    -Mount Gay Rum

After a year of getting mini-bar going (and having bought every major type of liquor) I've discovered that my favorite liquors have changed from Vodka to Whiskey... never saw that one coming! I feel like I'm getting in touch with my poor white trash roots! [​IMG]

7. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

Mine are below. And, ironically enough, I've had exactly one drink since August.

Scotch:

Aberlour 10
    Ardbeg 10
    Balvenie 12
    Cardhu 10
    Glenlivet 12 and 18
    Glenmorangie 10 Port, Sherry, and Burgundy finishes
    Johnny Black
    Lagavulin 16
    Longmorn 15
    MacAllan 12
    Royal Lochnagar 12
    Scapa 12
    Suntory Hibiki
    Talisker 10
    Talisker Distiller's Reserve (10, I think)

Bourbon and Rye:

Bakers
    Basil Hayden
    Blanton's
    Booker's
    Bulleit
    Corner Creek
    Eagle Rare
    Elijah Craig 12 and 18
    Hirsch 16
    Jefferson's Reserve
    Knob Creek
    Maker's Mark
    Maker's Mark VIP
    Wild Turkey 101
    Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve
    Woodford Reserve

Other:

Boodles Gin
    Mount Gay Rum
    Bacardi 8
    Cazadores

8. Nantucket Red

Mine are below. And, ironically enough, I've had exactly one drink since August.

You may find yourself drinking more frequently now that SFers will be dropping by unannounced for drinks! [​IMG]

9. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

You may find yourself drinking more frequently now that SFers will be dropping by unannounced for drinks! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] At least wait until after finals, so I can get the house cleaned up. A drink or five will definitely be in order....

I'm also kinda short on mixers--ran out of vermouth, which leaves me with only Campari and Maraschino liqueur. But hey, we can still drink aviations and negronis, right?

10. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You must be quite the cocktailian. Aviation and negroni are great drinks.

11. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

You must be quite the cocktailian. Aviation and negroni are great drinks.
    I'm working on it. [​IMG] I particularly like the aviation, but getting it (and the Negroni) consistently right eludes me. I just need to be more of a drinker, I guess...

12. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

[​IMG] At least wait until after finals, so I can get the house cleaned up. A drink or five will definitely be in order....

I'm also kinda short on mixers--ran out of vermouth, which leaves me with only Campari and Maraschino liqueur. But hey, we can still drink aviations and negronis, right?

Jesus! Hell of a stock to have as a student, I'd be happy to hold some of the Whisky bottles for you if you need room for books...

13. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

Jesus! Hell of a stock to have as a student, I'd be happy to hold some of the Whisky bottles for you if you need room for books...

Thanks for the offer. [​IMG] I'm actually a "returning" student, so I've had a few years to accumulate the booze.

14. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Grain alcohol.

From the still out back.

15. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Responding accurately to this thread would require that I go through my cabinet ... an intimidating prospect for another day, but an excercise worth doing. Stay tuned ....

16. Nantucket Red

Just added Bunnahabhain last night. Boy, this stuff goes down easy!