• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's in your closet?

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As a service to our customers, I will visit their closet for an assessment and show all the other possibilities there are. Are you wearing the same tie with the same shirt with the same suit/ sport jacket or are you adventurous?

acole

Reaction score
Are you offering to visit my closet? Â
smile.gif
I have a pretty weird approach, I guess...I think of it as adventurous and conservative by turns; some would probably call it backwards. Â I bargain-hunt rapaciously and wind up with a pretty motley bunch of stuff ('scuse me; I meant to say eclectic). Â Much of it is admittedly stuff that I don't have a clear vision for coordinating. Â For instance, there's a nice new canvased HF olive/black sports jacket with fine red windowpanes that's hung there unworn for a year because I haven't figured out what goes with it yet. I figure if I build up a library of well-constructed, classically-styled clothing, then I can go in and mine it for complete outfits the way Michaelangelo pulled a sculpture out of a big chunk of stone. Â I'm no Michaelangelo, so that takes some thought: it isn't something I can do 5 minutes before I have to head out the door. Â Instead, I have occasional spurts of inspiration resulting in one or two new viable combos, which I can then fall back on without worrying when I'm in a rush. I do things this way because I appreciate quality and can no longer abide "Men's Wearhouse"-grade stuff any more (thanks a lot, Andy & StyleForum.) Â If I had unlimited funds and could overcome my visceral distaste for the idea of spending $3000 retail on a new sports jacket/bespoke suit/Lobb shoes/etc., it would be easier to plan outfits first and then buy whatever is required all at once. Â On eBay and in thrift stores, you sometimes have to take what you find.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like it that way myself. If I had plentiful funds I would want so many things my head would explode. As it is, I do exactly what you do and hope to end up with enough to pull something good out of. This is not the most safe and structured way of doing things, (buy a navy and dark gray suit, 10 shirts, brown and black shoes, etc) but I like it. And for now, it works because I never need to wear a suit or to look "right" for an occasion. If I am in dire need of one single thing I can narrow it down to, I go out on a mission for that thing and I am willing to pay full retail if necessary. But I very rarely do. Comme ci, comme ca, my pallette grows.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'm exactly the same as the two of you. I don't really operate on the basis of necessity or properness, I just snatch up the good deals when I find them on something I want. I dont even have a navy business suit (whoops). I usually look for a certain item, but with all the available discount places and all the designers who satisfy my wants and needs (not physically), I have little trouble finding an item I really want over a relatively short time span.

johnw86

Reaction score
My closet has grown more conservative over the past decade or so. The suits are basics--pinstripes, two glen plaids, an occasional houndstooth, and one or two solids--several sportscoats in a variety of patterns--a navy blazer. Most of my shirts will work with most of the above items. I've got enough ties that I rarely wear the same tie with the same coat (at least I try not to). Thow in khakis, and my work wardrobe is set. For Saturdays around the house, it's jeans and a sweatshirt.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wardrobe is variations on theme. For example, I have about 6 slightly different plain white shirts, about eight variations of a military shirt/jacket (usually brown or olive), a half dozen variations of a brown belt, nearly a dozen military or military inspired jackets in brown or olive or gray, over a dozen pairs of jeans in different designs and shades of blue, and a couple of dozen sneakers, a few variations of black oxfords, a few of pairs of casual boots. And a few suits, a dinner suit, and about a dozen ties for when I really need them. I just add as I need to these "collections".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads