What's in your closet?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Drinkwaters, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

As a service to our customers, I will visit their closet for an assessment and show all the other possibilities there are. Are you wearing the same tie with the same shirt with the same suit/ sport jacket or are you adventurous?

2. acole

acole Senior member

Are you offering to visit my closet? Â [​IMG] I have a pretty weird approach, I guess...I think of it as adventurous and conservative by turns; some would probably call it backwards. Â I bargain-hunt rapaciously and wind up with a pretty motley bunch of stuff ('scuse me; I meant to say eclectic). Â Much of it is admittedly stuff that I don't have a clear vision for coordinating. Â For instance, there's a nice new canvased HF olive/black sports jacket with fine red windowpanes that's hung there unworn for a year because I haven't figured out what goes with it yet. I figure if I build up a library of well-constructed, classically-styled clothing, then I can go in and mine it for complete outfits the way Michaelangelo pulled a sculpture out of a big chunk of stone. Â I'm no Michaelangelo, so that takes some thought: it isn't something I can do 5 minutes before I have to head out the door. Â Instead, I have occasional spurts of inspiration resulting in one or two new viable combos, which I can then fall back on without worrying when I'm in a rush. I do things this way because I appreciate quality and can no longer abide "Men's Wearhouse"-grade stuff any more (thanks a lot, Andy & StyleForum.) Â If I had unlimited funds and could overcome my visceral distaste for the idea of spending $3000 retail on a new sports jacket/bespoke suit/Lobb shoes/etc., it would be easier to plan outfits first and then buy whatever is required all at once. Â On eBay and in thrift stores, you sometimes have to take what you find.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I like it that way myself. If I had plentiful funds I would want so many things my head would explode. As it is, I do exactly what you do and hope to end up with enough to pull something good out of. This is not the most safe and structured way of doing things, (buy a navy and dark gray suit, 10 shirts, brown and black shoes, etc) but I like it. And for now, it works because I never need to wear a suit or to look "right" for an occasion. If I am in dire need of one single thing I can narrow it down to, I go out on a mission for that thing and I am willing to pay full retail if necessary. But I very rarely do. Comme ci, comme ca, my pallette grows.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I'm exactly the same as the two of you. I don't really operate on the basis of necessity or properness, I just snatch up the good deals when I find them on something I want. I dont even have a navy business suit (whoops). I usually look for a certain item, but with all the available discount places and all the designers who satisfy my wants and needs (not physically), I have little trouble finding an item I really want over a relatively short time span.

5. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

My closet has grown more conservative over the past decade or so. The suits are basics--pinstripes, two glen plaids, an occasional houndstooth, and one or two solids--several sportscoats in a variety of patterns--a navy blazer. Most of my shirts will work with most of the above items. I've got enough ties that I rarely wear the same tie with the same coat (at least I try not to). Thow in khakis, and my work wardrobe is set. For Saturdays around the house, it's jeans and a sweatshirt.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My wardrobe is variations on theme. For example, I have about 6 slightly different plain white shirts, about eight variations of a military shirt/jacket (usually brown or olive), a half dozen variations of a brown belt, nearly a dozen military or military inspired jackets in brown or olive or gray, over a dozen pairs of jeans in different designs and shades of blue, and a couple of dozen sneakers, a few variations of black oxfords, a few of pairs of casual boots. And a few suits, a dinner suit, and about a dozen ties for when I really need them. I just add as I need to these "collections".