• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's hot for summer ... 1959!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a crosspost over at Ask Andy. I don't normally do this, but it was a lot of typing, so I might as well get maximum exposure.

While browsing through some boxes, I came across an old booklet I had forgotten: Esquire's Guide to Summer Living, 1959. I thought some might find it interesting to take a look back at what was stylish almost a half-century ago.

A couple of items of note: Man-made fabrics were quite the rage. Go-to-hell trousers and shirt-jackets, too. I think our Trad fans will find this one interesting.

So now let's step back in time...

THE MAN WITH A CASUAL AIR ... that's you this summer!

Here are some hot items in cool summer clothing that will turn you into a Beau Brummel whether you're off to the beach or business.

Summer fashions are swinging to a new beat with the birth of the COOL BLUES, the newest summer hue. You'll look crisp and cool as a frosty mint julep in one of the shorter, double-breasted cotton seersucker jackets striped in Alaskan blue and white. Characteristics: short side vents, slanted and welted pockets, narrowed lapels. Wear it with a blue oxford shirt and matching tie. THE BLAZER'S BACK in pongee -- the sun will bounce right off its embossed brass buttons. Match it up with blue and straw blazer-striped linen slacks. Look, too, for BLUE 'N' BRASS, a big new combo on the boardwalks. Take, for example, the blue and brass striped terry cloth poncho-shirt, worn with matching poplin swim shorts. Or the continentally shaped blue blazer of imported wool-and-Orlon French fabric combined with textured silk-and-rayon slacks in "brass." BLUES IN THE NIGHT ... another new fashion note. A lightweight Jamaican madras continental cutaway (predominantly cool blue) with vest to match, worn with featherweight doeskin slacks.

PRINT IT! ... that's the password in sport shirts. Pick your pattern -- there are plenty to choose from ... hand-screened silk prints with Japanese figures and characters; bright, bold Byzantine prints; paisleys and plaids -- all are perfect complements to your wash-and-wear slacks and Bermuda shorts. BY THE SEA the big news is the Hawaiian length in bathing trunks. They're short, but have a definite leg for a covered-up feeling. Fabric news -- lastex for a flat trim line. If you insist on going out in the noonday sun, try this for comfort -- THE COTTON HOPSACKING SHIRT, uniquely designed with a button-in inset that gives it the look of a shirt-and-jacket and the comfort of a shirt, only. If you're a WELL-KNIT MAN, you'll be laying in a supply of handsome new knit sportshirts (a move your wife will approve because they're so easy to care for). Knitted now from man-made fibers as well as cotton, they're available in stripes, weaves, checks, and solids. Going places? Get there in fashion with the SAFARI SHIRT-JACKET in Horizon Blue, with patch pockets, epaulettes, satin-finish brass buttons. Traveling companion -- matching tapered shorts. USE YOUR IMAGINATION to select your summer slacks -- the "jazzier" the color, the better -- say, "pumpkin" orange. Get the idea -- that's fashion with a capital summer.

Meanwhile, back at the office, what's the big news? -- Well, Continental silhouettes are trading high, and if you want a good investment, try patterned gabardine or silk pongee. And there's a NEW LOOK AFOOT when smooth and woven leather effects meet in summer footwear. WHAT'S AHEAD? ... Boaters, doing an encore to their last year's success, re-appear narrow brimmed and banded in bold stripes and paisleys.

There you have the new summer wearables ... the wearing is up to you. Remember, individuality and versatility are the "buywords." Mix them, match them, wear them as you will ... but wear them well and with that flair that distinguishes the man with the casual air!

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love phrases like "PRINT IT! ... that's the password in sport shirts."

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and what the heck is a "blue and brass striped terry cloth poncho-shirt".

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
i love phrases like "PRINT IT! ... that's the password in sport shirts."

It's a shame more clothing articles aren't written in such a fashion these days. Spreads of pretty pictures are great, but they don't inspire the way old-school writeups do. That's one reason I thought folks might enjoy this one.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Esquire recommends medium-weight anathema for fall.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd like to see that, too. I doubt Ward Cleaver ever wore one.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

It sounds like a pop-over, after pool or beach knit with hood and kangaroo pockets. I remember wearing such a garment way back when.

Gary

"VOTE" www.cbs4boston.com/alist

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads