• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's happened to J Crew?

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardner
I hope I don't sound crabby in singling out an individual case of ludicrous language or malapropism, for it's all around us night and day. Rather this just gives me the opportunity to point out that using standard language is just as important in creating a good impression as is tying a suitable knot on your tie or polishing your shoes. They really go together, so that one's presentation through dress is reflected through one's speech.

When I read about "transitioning" to the spring collection, I understand that we hear this sort of pseudo-babble all too commonly on local tv news programs and, increasingly, elsewhere, and it's hard to resist following the example of such high-paid personages, but it simply undoes whatever image of sophistication one may have striven for in his attire. I call this sort of burlesque vocabulary "polyester language" as befits the paradigm.

Despite what the weatherman in his ill-tailored suit says, the day does not "transition" to evening any more than one "exits" a car, despite what the police commissioner may say. And I hope I never run across someone on this Forum saying "such that" in place of "so that" -- as in "hang your clothes such that they don't wrinkle". That's all demolished language, worse than any destroyed jeans one is likely to see. Quite simply, the day moves into evening, one gets out of a car, and one either hangs clothes in such a way that they don't wrinkle or simply so that they don't wrinkle.

Granted these are all examples of current buzz words, but they're watched far more closely than are your clothes. First impressions may be created by your appearance, but lasting impressions are creaed by what you say.
smile.gif
smile.gif

And fleeting, if amusing, impressions are created by internet message board posters who spend more time with their thesaurus than with their grammar book or dictionary. Above, I've bolded some of your solecisms, usage errors, and bizarre word choices - feel free to study them before your next opportunity to make a first impression!
teacha.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
And fleeting, if amusing, impressions are created by internet message board posters who spend more time with their thesaurus than with their grammar book or dictionary. Above, I've bolded some of your solecisms, usage errors, and bizarre word choices - feel free to study them before your next opportunity to make a first impression!
teacha.gif

A bit of a Nabokov there.

MrRogers

Reaction score
I hope I don't sound crabby in singling out an individual case of ludicrous language or malapropism, for it's all around us night and day. Rather this just gives me the opportunity to point out that using standard language is just as important in creating a good impression as is tying a suitable knot on your tie or polishing your shoes. They really go together, so that one's presentation through dress is reflected through one's speech.

When I read about "transitioning" to the spring collection, I understand that we hear this sort of pseudo-babble all too commonly on local tv news programs and, increasingly, elsewhere, and it's hard to resist following the example of such high-paid personages, but it simply undoes whatever image of sophistication one may have striven for in his attire. I call this sort of burlesque vocabulary "polyester language" as befits the paradigm.

Despite what the weatherman in his ill-tailored suit says, the day does not "transition" to evening any more than one "exits" a car, despite what the police commissioner may say. And I hope I never run across someone on this Forum saying "such that" in place of "so that" -- as in "hang your clothes such that they don't wrinkle". That's all demolished language, worse than any destroyed jeans one is likely to see. Quite simply, the day moves into evening, one gets out of a car, and one either hangs clothes in such a way that they don't wrinkle or simply so that they don't wrinkle.

Granted these are all examples of current buzz words, but they're watched far more closely than are your clothes. First impressions may be created by your appearance, but lasting impressions are creaed by what you say.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Thus, the effects of skipping medication time and throwing off brain chemistry.

MrR

billyhoyle

Reaction score
Despite what the weatherman in his ill-tailored suit says, the day does not "transition" to evening any more than one "exits" a car, despite what the police commissioner may say.
baldy[1].gif

Reaction score
I think it is because men don't shop in stores as often as women do and when men shop they tend to shop at the men only designers. First thought going through my head when I need new clothes isn't J. Crew.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
using standard language is just as important in creating a good impression as is tying a suitable knot on your tie or polishing your shoes.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Agreed. It's as important as avoiding the temptation to use a handful of two-dollar words when a single five-cent word will do.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was beginning to wonder the same thing. When I first started receiving J. Crew's catalogue in 1991, there were no women's clothing in it at all. With the last one, I had to go through, what?, 70 pages before we got to a line up of clothes that was identical to the last catalogue.

I don't shop at J. Crew like I used to but I hope we aren't losing the men's section.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Somewhere around 2000, I bought a lot of things from J. Crew, but not much at all lately. These days, the stuff in their catalogs looks nice, but when I see it in person, it doen't interest me as much.

Leslierc

Reaction score
Retail is fickle and the numbers are the numbers. The clothing lines have to pay for the spaces they occupy and I would posit that J Crew's men's lines aren't as profitable as their women's. As I recall from those occassions when I went into J Crew with my wife or daughter, their men's clothing offerings were fairly repetitive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads