• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's going on with this jacket's shoulders?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a suspicion, but many of you guys are sure to know better than I. And it's not just positioning on the mannequin.

jacket1a.jpg

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too square. My guess is that they are rather heavily padded too. The collar also doesn't fit around the mannekin so the coat looks like it's falling off.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the left shoulder? I hadn't noticed that. I'll bet it is from the shoulder of the armless mannekin.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
What about the odd indention/bulge?
It houses the alien control device.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a real person, that indentation is usually caused by the jacket's shoulders being too narrow. In this case, it kind of looks wrinkled.

--Andre

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
On a real person, that indentation is usually caused by the jacket's shoulders being too narrow. In this case, it kind of looks wrinkled.

--Andre

Oddly, that doesn't seem to be the problem here. And the dent is always there, unless pushed outward by a shoulder that's a bit too wide for the jacket.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think it may be made for someone with really large arms and/or shoulders?

--Andre

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew

--Andre

I'm not sure that I understand how that could be.
If the shoulders were a bit "tighter", the upper arm would fill the sleeve head, and fill the dents on the sleeves. If the shoulder seams fall at exactly just beyond the end of the shoulder bone, then there is some "shoulder" and arm extending past that to fill the sleeve head.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happens when the coat shoulders are too narrow is that the upper arm may hit against the sleeve below the sleevehead, depending on the slopes, so it caves in, creating that indentation. That's not the case here, though. Hard to explain without pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads