• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What's going on with this jacket's shoulders?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too square. My guess is that they are rather heavily padded too. The collar also doesn't fit around the mannekin so the coat looks like it's falling off.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the left shoulder? I hadn't noticed that. I'll bet it is from the shoulder of the armless mannekin.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
What about the odd indention/bulge?
It houses the alien control device.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a real person, that indentation is usually caused by the jacket's shoulders being too narrow. In this case, it kind of looks wrinkled.

--Andre

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
On a real person, that indentation is usually caused by the jacket's shoulders being too narrow. In this case, it kind of looks wrinkled.

--Andre

Oddly, that doesn't seem to be the problem here. And the dent is always there, unless pushed outward by a shoulder that's a bit too wide for the jacket.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think it may be made for someone with really large arms and/or shoulders?

--Andre

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew

--Andre

I'm not sure that I understand how that could be.
If the shoulders were a bit "tighter", the upper arm would fill the sleeve head, and fill the dents on the sleeves. If the shoulder seams fall at exactly just beyond the end of the shoulder bone, then there is some "shoulder" and arm extending past that to fill the sleeve head.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happens when the coat shoulders are too narrow is that the upper arm may hit against the sleeve below the sleevehead, depending on the slopes, so it caves in, creating that indentation. That's not the case here, though. Hard to explain without pictures.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 117 33.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 105 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 15 4.3%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%