What's Everyone's Take on Hunter Boots?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jz687, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jz687

jz687 Member

Hi, I need a pair of rainboots, and I've been looking at either the Hunter Short Originals or the low Tretorn Strala boots... I can't decide and would love to know what you guys think! P.S. I'm a student, who would only be wearing them around school for the 4 hours a day I'm there... in a cold climate city. So the only things Id be tucking into them are jeans. Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I don't understand how people are using these in the city. You still have to carry your real shoes to change into later since you can't wear rubber boots around the office, and it doesn't sound like a good idea to stuff your trouser pants into them to begin with.

3. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot Senior member

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I don't understand how people are using these in the city. You still have to carry your real shoes to change into later since you can't wear rubber boots around the office, and it doesn't sound like a good idea to stuff your trouser pants into them to begin with.

i agree, unless you plan on wearing your hunter boots all day (which some people do so they look like they just left a farm) i would pass on them.

i would just buy some bean boots, you can wear those all day and they sometimes look pretty cool with a suit. i wore mine with my heavyweight shetland suit and it looked really good. though i give credit to the 2.5" cuff.

4. jz687

jz687 Member

P.S. I'm a student, who would only be wearing them around school for the 4 hours a day I'm there... in a cold climate city. So the only things Id be tucking into them are jeans.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

P.S. I'm a student, who would only be wearing them around school for the 5/6 hours a day I'm there... in a cold climate city. So the only things Id be tucking into them are jeans.

Are you sure you want to wear rubber boots all day long? Just imagine how hot and disgusting your feet will get.

6. jz687

jz687 Member

Are you sure you want to wear rubber boots all day long? Just imagine how hot and disgusting your feet will get.
    Yea, but "all day long" = 4 hours max... Mainly, I'm just trying to figure out if they're "in style" as much for guys as they are for girls...

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I see these around princeton alot, but many women wear them.

Buy normal boots.

8. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I would just leave a pair of shoes at the office. works especially well for OneShoe

9. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Hunter originals are a waste of money, the heel offers little to no support. But seen as you're wearing them in the city I suppose that doesn't count.

10. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

I'd recommend Aigle over Hunter..

The company is the original rubber boot company. In 1852 Hiram Hutchinson met Charles Goodyear, who had just invented the vulcanization process for natural rubber.

Goodyear went on to manufacture tyres and Hutchinson bought the patent to manufacture footwear.

11. oroy38

oroy38 Senior member

12. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Hi,

I need a pair of rainboots, and I've been looking at either the Hunter Short Originals or the low Tretorn Strala boots... I can't decide and would love to know what you guys think!

P.S. I'm a student, who would only be wearing them around school for the 4 hours a day I'm there... in a cold climate city. So the only things Id be tucking into them are jeans.

Thanks

I would stay away from rubber boots. Buy a pair of boots with a goretex or other waterproof/breathable membrane. That way you will have far more options in terms of style, fit, function and comfort.

13. ysc

ysc Senior member

Hunter originals are a waste of money, the heel offers little to no support.

I'd recommend Aigle over Hunter..

What these guys say.
    If you really decide you need wellies a pair of Aigle parcours will be around the same price as hunters (maybe a little more) and are considerably better.
    If it is really cold you might want to look at the different lining options as wellies are not warm by themselves.
    I have worn a pair of Aigles a lot at Uni, both in town and in the countryside. They have a pretty serious sole, are comfortable enough to walk around in all day (I have used mine for light hiking) and are slim enough that you can wear them with jeans and not look too stupid. A side gusseted version costs a little more but it can make getting in and out of them easier with thick trousers/socks etc.

14. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member