1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

what's everyone's favorite woody allen movie?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by GQgeek, Sep 30, 2006.

1. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I actually like the fact that I'm going to see a WA movie.
    I think all the above posts hold true, that's what I enjoy about them.
    I enjoy the stylistic consistency, even when its predictable.
    Its the same reason I like vintage Bond movies -you know what you're getting and you enjoy it.

I wonder if critics began to complain about WA because of his personal life /complications as much as any film shortcomings?

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wonder if critics began to complain about WA because of his personal life /complications as much as any film shortcomings?
    Not from what I have read. All that stuff went down in '92, and the critics were mostly still with him. The criticism I mean came later, starting around '98.

3. Ramses

Ramses Senior member

I saw Crimes & Misdemeanors was coming on a movie channel and was rated a 4 star movie! I have never seen a Woody Allen Film, is Crimes & Misdemeanors really a 4 star film worth watching?

4. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

Woody Allen quotes.

"Life is full of loneliness, misery and suffering..........and its all over much too soon."

And of course, "Well, I practice a lot when Im alone."

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

"Wheat!"
    "Sixteen year-old girls. Two of them, whenever possible."
    Ok, I've just moved "Love and Death" to the top of my own early-slapstick WA list.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

the classic "dont knock masturbation, it's sex with the person I love most"

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I enjoy almost all of Allen's films so it's easier to list the ones I DIDN'T like...

Celebrity was a weak one for me, altho it had moments (Tim Roth was great)

didnt care for Interiors or Purple Rose of Cairo. most of the ones that fall to the bottom are his Mia Farrow films.

Diane Keaton=Sean Connery, Mia Farrow=Roger Moore, Scarlett J=Pierce Brosnan

8. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

I saw Crimes & Misdemeanors was coming on a movie channel and was rated a 4 star movie! I have never seen a Woody Allen Film, is Crimes & Misdemeanors really a 4 star film worth watching?
    emphatic YES! C & M is one of the great contemplative Hitchcockian (ROPE-ish) WA films. i wouldn't watch it back to back with say, INTERIORS, unless you are waiting for an overdose of painkillers to fade your consciousness to black with finality. [​IMG]

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior member

I have to say that Broadway Danny Rose is my favorite, I'm kind of surprised that no one else mentioned it. I know it's not up there with a lot of his other films, but I think this has some of the best shots Ive seen in a Woody Allen movie. The chase scenes are great, the mobster brothers, everything, it's hilarious and vastly underrated IMHO.

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Diane Keaton=Sean Connery, Mia Farrow=Roger Moore, Scarlett J=Pierce Brosnan

That's hilarious! Would that mean Alan Alda and Will Ferrell would be "Bond Girls"?

I forgot to mention Sweet and Lowdown. I love Sean Penn and I thought he did a great job as an obnoxious Django-inspired musician. Some nice music and Uma Thurman is just totally hot.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I have to say that Broadway Danny Rose is my favorite, I'm kind of surprised that no one else mentioned it. I know it's not up there with a lot of his other films, but I think this has some of the best shots Ive seen in a Woody Allen movie. The chase scenes are great, the mobster brothers, everything, it's hilarious and vastly underrated IMHO.
    Good call.

12. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Marge: Did anyone see that new Woodsy Allen movie?
    Ned: You know, I like his films except for that nervous fellow that's always in them.

I didn't mind Bananas but Allen has never really done it for me. Like someone (manton I think?) said earlier, same movie a dozen times.

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

same movie a dozen times.

I dont have a problem with that. I've always felt that some artists only have a limited amount of movies/songs/paintings/etc in them and they tend to express it over and over in different manifestations of the same thing. I think that Allen realizes this, to his credit, and does what he knows rather than go off on unknown tangents. When I go to see a Woody Allen film, I am expecting existentialist angst, and I always get it.

14. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

I forgot about 'Bullets Over Broadway'. Terrific. Jim Broadbent and Dianne Weist are fantastic. Cusak a tad annoying.

15. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

When I go to see a Woody Allen film, I am expecting existentialist angst, and I always get it.

I dig, but sometimes it's nice to be surprised.

16. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Bullets over Broadway

17. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I dig, but sometimes it's nice to be surprised.

You didn't like match point? That was a pretty big departure for him. Someone knocked it earlier but I thought it was great.

18. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I've seen probably six Woody Allen movies in my life, and to be honest, I can't remember any of them besides Mighty Aphrodite. So I guess that will have to be my favorite. It's not that they are bad, because if they were bad, I would probably remember them. I don't know why he never clicked with me. Maybe its an east coast thing.

The main reason I remember Mighty Aphrodite is because it has three of my top 100 favorite actors in it.
    Peter Weller, F. Murray Abraham, and Jack Warden. I think it might have also been the first movie I saw with Mira Sorvino in it, followed closely by Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, Mimic, and The Replacement Killers. I think I gave up on her after that.

19. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think it might have also been the first movie I saw with Mira Sorvino in it.
    The first movie I saw Mira Sorvino in was Quiz Show. I was moved.

20. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

The first movie I saw Mira Sorvino in was Quiz Show. I was moved.

I saw Quiz Show a few months ago and I can't even remember seeing her in it.

TS, Mighty Aphrodite wasn't one of his better movies.