• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what's a higher priority purchase, suit or 'formal' blazer/sportscoat for a 19 year old college stud

italianopalo

Reaction score
Hi, first time posting here so I'm assuming this is the right place to ask questions, did some searches to no avail.

As a 19 year old college student in medical school, should I purchase a suit first, or a 'formal', navy blazer/sportscoat?
I have a khaki blazer and black corduroy cotton blazer that I wear a few times a week to classes and 'no dress code' events but I thought I needed something more formal so I was thinking of buying a more expensive, wool navy blazer but for the same money, I could also get a decently wearable OTR suit. The most formal of events I plan to attend is my faculty's ball, a yearly event. Everything else would be things like medical conferences, seminars etc

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a navy suit and just wear the jacket as a blazer when required? 99% of people will never know, and if you swapped in non-standard buttons (I like smoked mother of pearl on navy) you bump that up to 99.8% of people. At 19 years old, you can tell the other 0.02% to **** off.

JonasAberg

Reaction score
I'm thinking it's far easier getting away with wearing a suit to some event that calls for a blazer than the other way around. So my vote goes to the suit.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the suit. Better to be overdressed then underdressed, and you can always just wear the jacket of the navy suit you'll be getting. And you'll also have it for interviews and such, where a blazer would be acceptable, but a suit would be much better.

Also remember to get it tailored. Set aside a little money to get the sleeves shortened and (if the suit you find is generously cut) waist taken in. Hemming for the pants.

italianopalo

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice, gonna start saving + look for certain inspirations for a decent navy wool suit. On that note, it seems the general consensus for college students is not to drop too much cash on the first suit, so should I even be looking for 100% wool? (super 120 level etc)

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok thanks for the advice, gonna start saving + look for certain inspirations for a decent navy wool suit. On that note, it seems the general consensus for college students is not to drop too much cash on the first suit, so should I even be looking for 100% wool? (super 120 level etc)

Lurk more :) (yes)

dufferin1

Reaction score
If you can try a couple brands on and get a feel for your measurements I would definitely take a look in the classifieds section. I am also a college student so I have a tight budget. I just purchased a Baldessarini (new) which is full canvas but quite a few 'seasons' ago for just under $400 shipped. Where can you get a full canvas new suit for that price except SF.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider when deciding how much to spend is that you may not be done growing. You don't want to drop 800+ on a suit only to have it not fit you in a few years. I would probably spend $500 at most, including alterations.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also vote for a navy suit as the first one, but really once you have a summer job or a proper one, it will be better by then gt another grey suit to get change everyday

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a navy suit and just wear the jacket as a blazer when required? 99% of people will never know, and if you swapped in non-standard buttons (I like smoked mother of pearl on navy) you bump that up to 99.8% of people. At 19 years old, you can tell the other 0.02% to **** off.

+1. If you really need either, that is. I don't recall even wanting to wear a suit or a blazer at that age...

Mox C

Reaction score
I picked up a new full-canvas floating front suit with no fusing in 150s from Jeff @ the Wizard of Aahs for a little over $300. He has a variety to choose from in his eBay shop, but you can deal with him directly. 150s may be overboard for what you are looking for and not last as long, but I won't be using the suit for daily wear.

http://www.thewizardofaahs.com/

You could stop in a Men's Wearhouse or the like and get your measurements. If you try on a few suit coats, you should be able to feel the difference between the poly blends and the basic 70/90s 100% wool ones—and see the difference in the "hand" (how the fabric lays on you). The 150s is a notable step up from the 70/90s, but I think that first step away from the poly blends is the important one.

I've had to delay a fitting, but I should be stopping in to a tailor's soon to have the pants hemmed and perhaps a few things done to the jacket.

Booter

Reaction score

I picked up a new full-canvas floating front suit with no fusing in 150s from Jeff @ the Wizard of Aahs for a little over $300. He has a variety to choose from in his eBay shop, but you can deal with him directly. 150s may be overboard for what you are looking for and not last as long, but I won't be using the suit for daily wear.

http://www.thewizardofaahs.com/
You could stop in a Men's Wearhouse or the like and get your measurements.
If you try on a few suit coats, you should be able to feel the difference between the poly blends and the basic 70/90s 100% wool ones—and see the difference in the "hand" (how the fabric lays on you). The 150s is a notable step up from the 70/90s, but I think that first step away from the poly blends is the important one.

I've had to delay a fitting, but I should be stopping in to a tailor's soon to have the pants hemmed and perhaps a few things done to the jacket.

Excellent advice to get measured before buying online but avoid MW if possible. They are, unfortunately, not capable of this most basic function.

(Anyone who's been fitted there for a wedding party can attest)

Last edited:

Mox C

Reaction score
Good point. I'm hoping the suit shoulders are proper. They look ok to my untrained eye, but we'll see what the tailor says.

I should point out that, while the factory that the Daniele/Baroni suits are made in is partially owned by Corneliani, the fabric is probably of Chinese origin. They tend to fudge the numbers, so 150s is likely optimistic. The factory workers will be using the same skill-set, but from the reading on this site and elsewhere, the claimed $1000+ MSRP is a bit overboard. But for someone used to poly, 150s or not, it feels amazing.

At MW, you have to spend ~$450 just to get into a 100% wool 70/90s, so I think Baroni is still a worthwhile purchase, even if it isn't the super deal that it looks like on the surface. MS have sales where you buy one and get one 1/2, etc., but if you only need one suit, you still have that minimum of $450. It's not quite the deal it looks like on the surface either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads