1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What's a hemi?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bradford, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

OK - just curious. I keep seeing these ads about whether or not a truck engine has a hemi - yet I really don't know what it is or why I might want one. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Bradford

P.S. I'm not actually in the market for a new car, but I'm sure it would enhance my sports television viewing if I knew what these ads were talking about.

2. Mitch D

Mitch D Well-Known Member

3. ken

ken Banned by Request

In short, a hemi engine's cylinder heads are shaped in a half circle (a la a HEMIsphere) while a normal engine's are squared off.

4. Joe G

Joe G Senior Member

What a "Hemi" is has been adequately explained by others. It was not a new idea even when Chrysler "introduced" it in the 1950s. Tatra were using hemi-head engines from the 1900s, Peugeot from the 1910s, Citroen from the 1930s, Jaguar and Alfa Romeo from the 1940s, etc.

As for the thornier question, why you'd want one, I can't see a reason. It's an iron-block tractor lump with overhead valves that is oversized and burns the wrong fuel. The automotive equivalent of expensive fused-front petrochemical suit.

No European, Japanese, or Korean marque would even think of equipping one of their cars with such a primitive and pathetically wasteful motor. Even the dastardly new lorries on the American market, like the Nissan Titan and Ford F-150, have modern engines with overhead cams and multiple valves these days.

Peace,

JG